1000+ Reviews - but Airbnb still allows 1 Star Revenge reviews from guests who violate rules

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

1000+ Reviews - but Airbnb still allows 1 Star Revenge reviews from guests who violate rules

I have a strict “no smoking policy”. The guests were seen smoking in the apartment, admitted it and were asked to leave by Airbnb the next day for violation of the rules.

The apartment was found stinking of smoke with trash everywhere, broken items and all the batteries stolen from the remotes.

The guest leaves a 1 Star review. I have 950+ 5 star reviews for my places. Airbnb refuses to remove it and sent me warnings my place may be delisted for falling below hosting standards. Superhost was also removed.

I am tired of hearing “we value you as a host”. I want to see some evidence of it. 

10 Replies 10
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Hugh0  lonely one star should not be enough to remove Superhost from you. It is overall star rating. Have you talked to Airbnb? This makes no sense. 

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Yes. I have spoken to Airbnb. They stonewalled me.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Like you, @Hugh0, I too have ejected a smoker. However, I was not punished in this way. Are you sure you lost your SH status as a direct result of this? If yes, Tweet Airbnb.

Absolutely sure. Without this 1 Star my rating would have qualified. 

I contacted all the executive management I have contact details for. Not a single one could even be bothered to say well done on the 1000 review milestone. I was ghosted by all but one. One responded after a month with the normal boilerplate form response.

The smoker admitted on the Airbnb thread that they were smoking. Open and shut case of violation - as Airbnb calls it. 

@Gordon0 What does tweeting do?

@Gordon0  What does tweeting do?

honestly, the super host thing is a marketing gimmick; just forget about it. guests could frankly care less. 

i had a lady book three separate one day stays with really inconvenient one day gaps in between. 

she cancelled the third stay at 11pm at night after completing the first two stays, she left not one but two separate one star reviews as revenge for not offering a refund. (blamed it was difficult coming to the 4th floor without an elevator)- which is written about 3 times on the listing. 

long story short, i asked airbnb to remove one of the two one star reviews as her two one day one star reviews carry more weight than for example my 12 day guest's 5 star review before her. 

airbnb rejected my request and gracefully froze my listing for 5 days for good measure! ...

Superhost directly influences how many guests see my apartments in searches. If it didn’t I would not care. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>honestly, the super host thing is a marketing gimmick<<

Don't underestimate the power of marketing, gimmicky or otherwise. 

Mark-And-Jamie0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I am going through the same thing right now.  Guest tried to have a party, which we clearly state that we don't allow.  They left the property after staying most of the night, when they realized they couldn't have the party and then asked for a refund, which we politely told them we couldn't do.  They also removed all of our furniture, and stole our keys.  They were removed from the Airbnb platform by Airbnb.  But somehow they were allowed to leave a 1 star review, and called me a liar.  We had all 5 star reviews, but now we don't have SH status and received the same email as you.  Ridiculous.  Something needs to be done!  There are so many similar posts.