102 outside, 72 inside and yet its "to hot"

102 outside, 72 inside and yet its "to hot"

It's 72 degrees indoors and my guests canceled due to it being "to hot".   I put the thermostat down to 69 but the air conditioning just can't deal with the heat to lower it more than 72-71.    Guests decided to cancel their stay and there's nothing I can do about that but I do (in my mind) have some chosen words about how they could loose 200 pounds of insulation and maybe it would be cooler.       Mean?  Maybe.  But it's getting chilly in here.  

-Chris

15 Replies 15
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

I would hope AirBnB would not side with this guest! I hope they did not screw you outta money. 72 indoors in TX is just fine. THEY were the one booking a trip to somewhere it gets 100 or so this time of year!

Just my $.02!

They were going to stay from the 17th to the 30th but it's 1pm and they are gone after 1 night.   It's OK with me though as airbnb said they will have the guests pay for tonight as well 🙂 bonus!

I have to have temps down to 60 the lowest temp on the aircon.  I prefer 50 ish degrees. I would suffer if a room is in the 70s. 

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

@Rebecca-and-Chris0 Maybe they don't want to stay indoors for the duration of their stay??

@Rebecca-and-Chris0

I can't help but wonder........ if they dislike being hot so much, why go to Texas in the first place??? Why not go to Alaska??? And I honestly think Airbnb should have made those guests pay more than just 2 nights.

Oh well~~~~ at least they didn't stay till the 30th moaning and groaning about how hot it is the entire stay. Good riddance~!

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

72 degrees inside during the day seems comfortable to me, however that would be way to hot for me to sleep. I currently have my bedroom temp set at 64 degrees. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rebecca-and-Chris0

yes, it is interesting, I noticed it too ... guests cool down the place on 70 F in summer and then heat on 74 in winter. American and Korean guests are the worst in unnecessary energy consumption (sorry, my experience ) 

For example my last two grups of guests arrived in t-shirs , shorts and flip flops and immediately asked for heating. They didn't even consider to put some clothes on ! 

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Reading this made me chuckle.  I live in Las Vegas.  The FIRST thing I did when I started hosting was lock up the theromostat in the space we rent out.  I keep the a/c at 75 degrees.  That is the temp that the a/c still feels cool...once I lower it in the dead of summer it just runs constantly and is still freaking hot inside.  It is a bit warm...but when it is 120 degrees outside, 75 feels great lol.  I have had only TWO complaints out of all the folks who have stayed.  One guy was super anxious and I told him..."Trust me, it will feel just fine."  He walked in after spending the day outside in August and said, "Hey, you are right, it feels great in here!"  I even cover up the thermostat box with paper so nobody can see the actual number.  Honestly--I keep my house at 80 during the day and only lower it once the sun goes down...so I feel keeping that space at 75 is such a treat for people.  My electric bill is...well, nobody wants to know!!!  

And you are right.  Alcohol, obesity, health issues, not drinking enough just plain water, etc etc...all these things make a difference in someone's comfort leve and we can't afford to keep playing around with the temps for a guest--it just simply doesn't fit financially.

You are paying your electric bill....so just be honest about the temperature you keep your space at.  They can always find somewhere else.  I don't think very many of us are keeping our a/c meatlock temps.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rebecca-and-Chris0  I live near Palm Springs, CA and summer temps of 120+ are not all that unusual.  I really don't expect guests to come because they have to stay indoors.  Still there are tourists that come to this area to hike!!!.  Sadly some die because they cannot relate to how hot and dry it is in the desert.  I keep the temp around 80 when I am by myself because I am used to it.  When guests are in the house, the temp is reduced to 75 degrees which is much cooler in because it is so dry.

I also provide double wall large water glasses and encourage the guests to drink plenty of water.  Even in the winter it is dry and people need to drink more water than they might usually do.

Guests sometimes make mistakes about the place they are visiting and want to make a change in their plans.  Still I don't think the host should bear the whole financial burden.  I try to elicit guest plans for their trip to my area and if they want to spend time outside and I know it will be hot, I raise the issue as soon as possible.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Joanna85& @Linda108 Do they use swamp coolers or true AC in your neck of the woods during summer?

Hi @Fred13.  Yes swamp coolers are used by many people here and are very efficient because we usually have low humidity or dew point.  During a portion of our summer the humidity goes up to around 40% and swamp coolers are not efficient so the air conditioning suppliments.  How about in your area?

@Fred66

I am told the reason nobody has swamp coolers here is that they help up until a certain temp outside, then you still have to kick on your central air.  NOBODY has them here.

True AC.   This isn't New Mexico lol

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

I've had the inverse problem. I'm in Canada, where it gets **bleep** cold. And a couple guests expected the thermostat to be turned up to 80°F. The furnace would be running 24/7 at that temperature when it's -30° outside. Now I list maximum temperature in my rules, and I haven't had any complaints since. 

Frankly, 72° is WAY too hot for me (I keep my thermostat at between 60° & 65° when I don't have guests), so I can understand their discomfort. But when I travel, I bloody well adapt. Especially when I'm staying in someone else's house. I don't think it's too much to ask that others do the same. 

Steve