1099-K not matching what was paid out (shows over double amount actually received)

Sara952
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

1099-K not matching what was paid out (shows over double amount actually received)

Just looked at the 1099-K document Airbnb sent to me and it shows I've received over double what I've actually received (and what my Airbnb account shows receiving in my transaction history). I'm guessing this is a mess up due to co-hosting and whatnont, but I have the correct taxpayers assigned to each bank account in my account (which is what Airbnb told us to do) and somehow it's clearly assigning me way more income than what went to my bank account.  To clarify this is not money I received in any form, it is clear when looking at transaction history for my accounts, which are tied to my tax info, that the numbers don't match.  There are other bank accounts that do not belong to me in my Airbnb account, but they all have the corresponding taxpayer info attached to them.

5 Replies 5
Nanette22
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

The same thing happened to me and after 4 phone calls and 7 emails the situation has not been resolved. The best I can get from them is that there is nothing wrong!!

In my case multiple reps acknowledged many times that it was wrong and that it would be fixed, but then in the end they told me that they decided not to fix it!

My 1099 is also way off. Every month is wrong.  Airbnb lumped all the cohosting adjustment payouts with my payouts so it looks like I made $55,000 more than I actually did. I too called several times, as well as emails and Airbnb said they will not change it. I have every one of my checking accounts assign to their cohosting tax ID, since they took away the cohosting platform. My accountant is telling me I will most likely get audited due to this huge mistake. Airbnb should Acknowledge this mistake and make it right instead of sending us automated emails telling us that they will not change the 1099. If they just took a little more time to look at what they did, they would see it’s obviously wrong. I downloaded the transaction history and gross earning, you can clearly see that the totals are my payouts as well as my cohosts and my cohosts make 70% of the total amount paid out! Very fustrated, stressed out, and disappointing. 

Adam214
Level 2
Mt Pleasant, SC

The amount listed on your 1099K are your "gross earnings".  However, for tax purposes, you should only be taxed on what you are "paid out", or the amount you see in your transaction history. 

You'll need to subtract (get a deduction for) both host fees and adjustments/refunds on your tax return.  You can find these totals by going into Transaction History > Gross Earnings > Download CSV.  I had to convert mine to a Google Doc before gaining full functionality. 

Once you've downloaded the spreadsheet you can easily total your host fees for the year by highlighting that column.  Adjustments are a little harder, you'll have to search for them individually as they are not grouped together.

Under "Transaction History" there is "Paid out". Can choose the dates for the past year.