$10M OMG! Fund | 2nd Round – NEED HELP!

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

$10M OMG! Fund | 2nd Round – NEED HELP!

We applied for the $10M OMG! Fund and made the 2nd round.  Below is the application details that got us to this point:

Project: Inspired by simple design and overall sustainability.  Almost everything built in the desert starts with scraping the pristine wilderness, and laying a huge concreate foundation.  Tragically, this pristine land never recovers.  Our project will consist of 6 concrete piers built on land we already own.  6 repurposed I-beams from Fleetwood, PA will be used as columns for the dwelling.  Those columns will then have 3 large repurposed steel crossmembers in a square arch join them.  The cubed-shaped dwelling will “float” suspended from these crossmembers; all load will be transferred to the 6 piers.  The land underneath the dwelling will be untouched.  Building in this way will reduce the scar to the desert by 81% when compared to a conventional build of the same size (~350 sq feet).  The building’s exterior will consist of repurposed Corten steel sheets.  The roof will be 100% solar (Tesla), utilizing existing solar credits.  Imagine the sun setting on the horizon UNDER the floating cube.  6-8 stairs from the desert floor will take guests into the space.  Once inside, guests will notice that not only is the home they are in “floating” but the furniture is too.  Hanging from the ceiling will be the sofa, coffee table, bed, planters, nightstand, and chairs.  Even the lavatory & toilet will be “floating” (wall hung).  The kitchen will be on one side of the cube and only the lower cabinets, fridge and range will not be “floating” (as per local building code). 

Background: Hosted and managed 2,500+ bookings with a ~4.99 review profile in our last 1,000+ reviews with 8 currently active listings.  All listings were once dilapidated structures that we self-funded, self-designed, self-permitted, self-everything’d to make what they are today.  Fluent in County codes, plan submittal, inspections, rules, and regulations.

For the 2nd Round, we are further refining the idea/plan.  Below is an answer to the request for “supplementary visual materials or assets that further demonstrate your idea’s uniqueness, feasibility and immersive nature.”

I realize that this is VERY rudimentary.  I’m using a simple home design program that I got on Amazon. And I am NOT a graphic design person!  And I’m SUPER cheap, lol!  So this is just about as good as it’s going to get. 

I would love to hear what you guys think!  And can we keep our comment to JUST design/layout feedback?  Would love to make this MUCH better!  I can’t without your help!  Thanks so much to whoever takes a moment to give me feedback and advance!  

Floor Plan:

floorplan.png

Dollhouse View:

dollhouse.png

Exterior 1:

exterior.png

Exterior 2:

exterior 2.png

Interior 1:

interior 5.png

Interior 2:

Interior 1.png

Interior 3:

interior 2.png

Interior 4:

interior 3.png

Interior 5:

interior 4.png

Mood Board:

mood board.jpg

17 Replies 17
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Richard531 

Just wondering:

Why is the furniture hanging from the ceiling, is there a specific reason for it or is it just for  design ?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emiel1 

You have to remember Emiel, Richard is on the San Andreas fault line.....or pretty close to it.

Like they say, 'A good boy scout is always prepared'!

Emoji, you are kidding.jpg

Sorry @Richard531 but it was a fairly obvious answer!

Cheers........Rob

Richard531
Level 10

100% design/OMG factor.  Can't really be OMG if it's not cool/unusual, right?

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

There's no plumbing or electrical connection shown on the drawing.  What are the specs for water supply, waste treatment and power supply?

Is it really a good idea to have furniture suspended from the ceiling?  I wouldn't want to sleep in a bed that wasn't stationary and a table that swings is useless.

Why is there an opaque screen around the balcony?  It makes the room feel smaller and cuts out the view.

Richard531
Level 10

@Louise0   Thank you so much for the thoughts!  

The utilities all run up a single I-beam to the restroom and then from there go to the rest of the home under the subfloor.  3/4"water service, 100A power (underground direct from adjacent power pole) and 3" septic line to local tank/leach field for waste (NOT sewer).  

The bed is not suspended from the ceiling but rather floats off the wall (with a small support in the center that you can't see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KNcZHNPiI8

Table that swings is useless. . .  I agree!   But we're trying to make everything hang from the ceiling. . .  

The railing around the decks are glass.  This is just how it depicts in this elementary program that I have to do the renderings.  I'll try and improve on that before submitting!   Also, the legs are wrapped in mirror. . .  So the whole thing will appear it's floating.  Really hard to depict that too! 

Love the ideas and really appreciate it!  

@Richard531 i think it is fantastic that you can go this far . My suggestion is that you do three , not just one and make one wheelchair accessible with handrails added to the bathroom and a walkway to access the pod . the bed would be a joy for a non ambulant person , as long as they would not fall out. their chair could move right up to it and a rail from the ceiling to grab would work really well . the bathrooms and shower space also could be very acessible and any view from that height would be magnificant . You can win this Richard  H

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

This looks really good @Richard531 , good luck with your application! 😉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It looks lovely @Richard531! Good luck, and keep us posted! 🤩

-----

Richard531
Level 10

@Helen744 @Quincy @Sybe @Robin4 @Louise0@Emiel1   I wanted to let you guys know that thanks to your provided ideas/encouragement, we advanced to Phase III on the OMG! Fund.  We refined the design a bit from above.  Your comments and encouragement really made a difference!  We'll let you know if we are selected as one of the 100 finalists on or before October 10th when they announce the lucky winners.

And maybe @Helen744 if we win, we can build more of these!  Love the ADA idea also!  

Thanks again to all your help! 

@Richard531. Well done Richard . Fingers crossed H

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Congratulations @Richard531 - this is so exciting!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Richard531 Congratulations - well done!! 😃

-----

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's amazing news @Richard531! Fingers crossed! 

-----

Richard531
Level 10

@Quincy @Sybe @Jenny @Helen744 @Robin4 

Update to this: we did NOT get the contract.  Made it to the final round but our final submission of items didn't get us there.  So bummed!  I'm sure the other 100 properties will be spectacular in the years to come though! 

All in all, a great experience.  Just sad to not have been selected a finalist!