17 year old minor wishes to book my apartment.

Answered!
Kwok0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

17 year old minor wishes to book my apartment.

Does anyone have any information as to the legalities of hosting a minor travelling alone from abroad?  I have been contacted by a 17 year old who wishes to book accommodation in my home.  I am a parent of a 16 year old and although she has travelled abroad, it has always been with her climbing team and there has been a chaperone.  In addition, I have had to sign a form giving my consent.  So, whilst I am happy to host a minor, I am not sure whether there is need for consent by a parent etc.  Clueless on this matter, I am afraid!  Any advice would be most gratefully recieved.

Regards

Kwok 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is on our Archive board. To learn more about the age requirements, please visit this article: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2876

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700500410619.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Marit Anne said it- if you aren't an adult (18) you can't enter a contract yourself & 3rd party bookings aren't allowed so a parent can't book for their kid. And, if a host said yes to letting three 17 year old kids book their place they have obviously never raised teenagers, it wouldn't end well, trust me, sally

Christiane367
Level 2
Winesburg, OH

I have a guest who is 18 wants to book my cabin for a week. Her boyfriend won't be 18 till the 3rd day of their stay. Do I legally have to let them rent? thanks

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Christiane367 

As long as the guest who booked is using her own account, is 18 and has been verified she can bring along any other aged person, a baby if she wishes. 

Anyone can join Airbnb....all you need is an email address and a current phone number to become an Airbnb member. But to use the service and book something you must have presented verified ID including age to Airbnb at the time of booking otherwise the booking will not be accepted by the booking system!

If you and Airbnb accept her reservation then she is able to bring another guest who is under 18 so long as she discloses at the time of booking who the second guest will be!

Cheers.......Rob

Doris104
Level 2
Meaford, Canada

Hello I just had a 17 year old Boy try to book through a third party and he wanted to come with four 16 year old Boys he said he would use his parents credit card. When I told him I wanted his parents to call me he suddenly said he would stay with his cousin in the area. I think the person who let him try to do this should have a penalty on their account. I mean as a host if we don’t accept guests we get penalized, we are only allowed by Air BnB to cancel three times a year.

Three years ago when I started hosting - the rule was that the guest has to be at least 21 years old. Now they made it 18! I had a guest 19 years old, well - fussy, did not follow the house rules, left the flat opened, not locked. Then had a mother who wanted that I host his son with his 2 friends, 16 years old - she told me that she is taking all responsibility in case something happens. I refused. 

But what to do with Third party Instant bookings when made from a Host with 200 and more reviews... and speaking 6 languages? And the one he books for is his relative? 

Sarah2166
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Request from (self admitted) 16 year old this morning, and not wanting to risk incurring penalty by declining* I spoke with AirBnB rep.

He didn't have a clue, even though I pointed out this was breach of their own rules.

I asked to speak with his line manager, but after a total of 10 minutes on hold was told they were busy on a call! 

I insisted someone call me back, and was assured they would do so within the hour - that was approx 4 hrs ago and I'm still waiting!

*I refused 2 guests last year who were not vaccinated, and a third who wanted to self isolate in my property for 7 days on arrival into UK. 

AirBnB informed me that I risked suspension having refused 3 guests in a year, even though they were unvaccinated, and Covid vaccinated guests only clearly stated on my listing.

They told me that I should approve all bookings and then ask AirBnB to cancel!  I replied that this didn't fit with their publicised stringent Covid precautions.

@Sarah2166 I suggest you ask that the guest revokes their request to book. Otherwise explain to them that you would need to accept it and then ask Airbnb to cancel which will tie up their payment for some time.

Thanks Mike & Jane, but I'm not seeking advice, just wanted to share info with other hosts.

Have 'casually' asked guest how he managed to register at 16, and if it's his own credit card.

Airbnb have broken their own rules and I'm giving this info to the press.

@Sarah2166 good luck then - You won't do well with Airbnb if you don't sort out the problems for yourself. But please ignore as you aren't looking for advice

I didn't mean to offend you, just to explain that I wasn't asking for advice!

However, I can assure you that I do very well with AirBnB, more than able to 'sort out' most problems myself, but this is a serious issue that AirBnB must attend to, a breach of their own rules.

@Sarah2166 

"I refused 2 guests last year who were not vaccinated"

I am curious - were that official UK or ABB policies at the moment?

Thanks

Sarah2166
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

AirBnB had sent me email alert, that because I'd refused 3 bookings within 12 months I was at risk of having my a/c suspended.

When I called and spoke with a representative, he told me I needed to make it clear on my listing (I had!!).  However, I have no idea whether or not this is anyone's policy, but it is certainly mine.

Sarah2166
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

(Belated) Update: AirBnB very quickly investigated this matter after a senior manager called me early on 30 June.

He called me later that afternoon to advise that they had deleted the 16 yr old boy's account.

Before it was deleted, even though they were in the wrong, the boy's parent sent me a number of abusive messages!!

It's very important to involve AirBnB in situations like this, to help ensure that other hosts don't suffer similar problems.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Sarah2166 That sounds like quite a frustrating situation. I'm glad to see it's been resolved in the end!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi, if anyone can answer my post! Please do thank you in advance. I am 17 at the moment but I will be going to Belgium in November and the dates that I am going are when I am 18. So I will be 17 when booking but 18 when I go there, so would I still be able to book the airbnb