176 five star reviews, 1 four star review and I am at 4.99. Can I ever get to 5.0 again?

176 five star reviews, 1 four star review and I am at 4.99. Can I ever get to 5.0 again?

It would seem I have been downgraded due to 1 four star review. Clearly 175 five stars does not call for rounding up, do you know what the magical number is? I would love to get back to 5.0 

23 Replies 23

@Richard531 , mediocre might not really be accurate although it does have the ability to offend folks with thinner dermal coatings (mine however is leather).  Keeping in mind, the Hilton, Elysee, Waldorf Astoria and others of its ilk and high esteem are regularly rated between 4 and 5 stars, I don't think we are seeking less achievement when we are not able to attain and hold the coveted 5* rating indefinitely.    I was 5*'s more than not on all 3 of my listings before they added the decimal point, now I'm only 5 on the one with the least amount of reviews, our Glamper.   I suspect that will not stand either cause its my intent to rent it often not culture it and sometimes that exposes you to a decimal point or 2.    Besides, who really believes Bearpath Lodging and The Ritz provide the same lux levels (not me) although we do have better Berries and Apples, fresh of the stalk and tree and allot fewer neighbors), just sayin, Stay well, JR

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Anne-And-Cameron0  same here.  We got that one "outlier" review where the guest gave us five stars in all categories, but only a four star overall rating.  Now we have been sitting at 4.99 forever it seems.  Curiously,  on the mobile app, it shows as a 5.00.  So much for consistency.

I really don't care all that much, given the unrealistic standards Airbnb is trying to hold us to--and neither should you.  You have a lovely place and I'm sure you don't have any problems getting booked.  😉   Happy Hosting!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

And on the plus side, as I see it. If you have a lot of reviews, the odd one which is low (and there's always one or two) will not bring it down too much. But if that 4 star review happens early on it matters more. I have a 3 star in there somewhere! 

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Honestly guys, guests don't really care. If you have a significant number of negative reviews (that reflect negativity in the narrative and in less than a 4 star rating) then that might have an effect but dropping from 5 is inevitable. 

I used to beat myself up over 4 stars and now I don't care. I don't even read the reviews anymore it just stressed me out. 

@Zappa0 , I disagree that guest dont care, I have had so many tell me that what people said in our reviews was true so that means they are reading the reviews and if they didnt care they wouldnt be reading them.

Love the name @Zappa0 , any relation to Frank (saw him doing Valley Girl Tour  in Munich in 1980)?  He was one of my faves for sure, a real class act and crazier than a fox! 

I totally agree with your first assertion but even after a couple hundred reviews, I still wait for them to come in and like to read them all, even the ones that think we should be in another location somehow magically and were nervous because we didnt have any streetlights or buses and Uber was slow (the name of our establishment is " Bearpath Lodging" not Uptown Suites!!!!!!!!!!).  It's mostly good but sometimes I do pick up on trends in them and thats helpful.  Stay well and Dont eat the Yellow Snow!   JR

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

I dont know how BnB figures their ratings up but it takes a lot of 5 star reviews to make up for one 4 star review.I cant imagine what a 2 or 1 star review would do to  rating or if it could even be made up. When I first started my first 4 reviews was two 5's a 4 and a 3. I then decided I had better let someone else run things, and since then I have had 314 reviews 304 were fives and 9 were 4's and the one 3. It took over a year, and 100+  straight 5 stars reviews to get to a five overall. Then when I finally made it I get a 4 star a few weeks later and lost it. My overall rating is a 5 now but it wasnt easy to get there for sure. 

Jaxon0
Level 6
Stafford, VA

So, I have haven't hosted since January 2020, first a death in the family, then COVID. I was a 5* superhost in January 2020, NOW I'm a 4.99 from the sole 4* review in 2015? Five years ago? 190 reviews. I don't get it.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I've had some 4 stars ratings for individual items like "value", but apparently, as long as 3 out of the 5 are 5 stars, you'll get a 5 star rating from that guest. So, two 4 stars and three five stars equal a 5 star review. But once you get one single 4 star overall review, yeah it's maybe impossible to get to a perfect 5.0.

Look at reviews of hotels. It's impossible to operate a hotel without a 1 star yelp review. People understand this, so I  wouldn't worry about having a less than perfect rating. 

There's an Extended Stay America in Woodland Hills, CA that has a collective 1 and a half star rating! But people just keep on booking nights there like there's no tomorrow, although under coronavirus I'll bet the place has been bought out by the city and turned into a permanent homeless shelter by now.