18 year old looking to rent with 5 guests

Randy113
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

18 year old looking to rent with 5 guests

I had a young 18 year old reach out to me to stay at my place during the week with 5 guests total. He did not have any profile information, any linked accounts and did not provide me with any information regarding his stay. I was a bit hesitant at first to approve him, and ultimately asked him to provide more information .

He states him and his friends are coming to town for a ball game and that there are 5 guests that are all 18-19 year olds. He added a picture but did not link any other accounts. Given that I am new to hosting, I wanted to see what everyones experience was and if I will lose search rankings if I deny him?

Looking forward to your suggestions and help as I consider this!

Regards,

Randy

12 Replies 12
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Randy113 I'm still a new host but would be nervous about 5 18-19-year-olds. Especially since you are not on the property.

I rent a room in my home and I've had a 19-year-old couple stay with me...couldn't have been nicer and were extremely respectful of my home. I currently have two 20ish girls staying with me and they, too, are extremely polite and respectful. But it's probably different since I am on-site.

There are a couple other threads on the topic of how to "discourage" a guest from booking. I think one host suggested laying out the rules in no short detail in a message, or putting something in there you know they probably won't want to agree to. That saves you the trouble of having to decline the request. Sorry I can't recall which thread that was.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a good suggestion!

But im 19 and want to relax with my friends we don't all disrespect everyones things. We just want to have and have a relaxing week just like everyone else the air bnb age needs to be changed then because it says you can create an account and to use the website and services.If 18and above and if thats not going to be true for every air bnb then it needs to be changed. Because I am disappointed I can't even have out with my friends.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Success3 

Hope you are well. 

I'm sorry you are having trouble finding a place to host you, I think sometimes many people project passed experiences with guests in your age group which may not have been so good onto others- it's a shame as I and many alike have had great experiences with younger users staying in our accommodation. 

I saw your page and there are no red flags but maybe send your desired hosts a message prior to booking

-let them know you have read their listings and rules and will be compliant with them

-identify specifically who is staying with you, let the inquiry accurately reflect this  (defaulted at one adult) and the purpose of your visit 

-outline any concerns you may have, eg do you need an early check in etc. 

Also please

-check their cancellation policy and confirm if it suits you

-check their location and if it reflects your needs

Based on the communication shared both you and the host should be able to get an idea of each other, if it feels right then proceed to book, otherwise look elsewhere and if travelling abroad please get a comprehensive insurance. 

Hope you get to enjoy your time. 

Yadira 🙂

@Success3  I know many respectful young people and don't see all people of your age as being guests to avoid. One of the issues with people in your age bracket, even if they aren't wild partiers, or disrespectful people, is something that isn't a put-down, but quite normal and natural. That is, the majority of 18 and 19 year-olds have never owned their own home, they have never had to pay a utility bill, they have never had to spend their own money on a new appliance or appliance repair, purchase a house full of furniture, etc. So they may do things unconsciously and be unaware that they are causing damage or running up an unnecessarily high utility bill. Put drinks down on nice wooden tables, leaving rings that have to be sanded out and refinished, fire up the washing machine on full load to wash nothing more than a tee shirt and a pair of jeans they want to wear that night, grab a clean white towel to mop up a spill that will stain the towel beyond redemption, drive their car across the grass without regard to the fact that it will wreck the lawn, things like that. My own daughters and their friends did things like that when they were your age. They weren't destructive or uncaring people, they just didn't think about things like that, because they had never had to pay to repair that kind of damage, it's normal. 

That's not to say that people of all ages don't do things like that, it's just a lot more prevalent among the young who don't have enough experience in life.

Airbnb has only been around for 12 years. As you are 19, that might seem like forever, but prior to that, where do you think young people who lived at home with their parents, or in small apartments or student housing had get togethers and parties? No one rented entire private homes for that sort of activity, but now it seems to be something people expect to be able to do. Young people would go on camping trips together, gather in parks, meet at a club, stay in youth hostels when they travelled. 

I've had many lovely young guests, but I only rent a private room in my home for 1 guest at a time. But I would be reticent to rent to a group of young people if I had an entire house rental, for the reasons I stated above.  I do think Airbnb should raise the age for booking, because most hosts feel anxious about renting to a young age group and it's not fair for those who are old enough to join to be turned down on the basis of age. 21 would seem a reasonable age to be trusted and for hosts to feel more at ease. People usually mature a lot between the ages of 18 and 21, as they leave home and strike out on their own and are faced with adult responsibilities like paying their own utility bills, learning to budget so they can afford to pay the rent, and having to pay for repairs for things they might inadvertently damage. 

Then why would the website make the ages 18 and plus if they know most people are not gonna want teenagers in their house. I planned this whole trip and read the terms and requested for houses that I wasn’t even going to be able to get because I’m not 21 or 25. When someone 21 or 25 could do the same thing as a teenager.

@Success3  The unvarnished truth? Because Airbnb doesn't listen to hosts' concerns or suggestions. They don't care if hosts' homes get damaged. Their bottom line is getting the most bookings they can and banking those service fees. 

Believe me, it doesn't feel good to hosts to have to decline bookings, and in fact we get penalized for it. But it's preferable to accepting a reservation one doesn't feel comfortable with.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding a place. One suggestion I have for you- because you have your age as a factor making it difficult to book, and because you have no reviews for a host to go on, try being a bit more informative in your profile write up, rather than just a one-liner. Think about it as if you were applying for a job, or looking to lease an apartment long-term. The employer or landlord would want to know something about you, as much as possible to make them feel you were a good bet.

Hosts also want to get a sense of who their guests are, what their interests are, what their field of study or work is. It's a matter of how you present yourself. These are people's private homes, not a faceless hotel, and guests are strangers to us. We don't have 24 hour security staff, we don't have access to guests' credit cards to charge if they cause damages, we don't have the safeguards that hotels do, that's why hosts are cautious about what bookings they accept.

So maybe write up a short paragraph on your profile that makes it evident that you're a responsible person with mature attitudes. If you had 3 or 4 good reviews, hosts would be more willing to consider a booking, but since you don't, giving more information where you can may help.

@Success3 it is so true the same could happen with a 21 year old, heck a 40 year old to be honest about it. BUT, the likelihood of an teenager being responsible and property caring for a unit is the exception and not the rule. That’s not an insult, it’s just the truth because you are still so young. Are some teenagers more mature than some 40 years olds? Sure. The odds are just not that good. It takes a lot of money to “recover” from a teenage slumber party in an airbnb. It’s just not worth the risk in most cases. Just TODAY, I got a request for TWO people in my unit. She indicated she was 23 and her guest was 19.  I explained my house rules of 4 people MAXIMUM and noise control after 11 MUST be adhered to and my neighbors would let me know if they weren’t. I went on to explain I’ve only had ONE guest to give me a bad rating and it was after I found out he had about 10 people unit and they were loud. Got it shut down within 30 minutes of it starting. She then admits she wants to rent the space for SIX people and asked if it would be ok if they promised to be quiet. I told her my 4 person limit is strictly enforced. Needless to say she did not rent my space. BUT these are the issues of younger people. Again, not EVERY young person does this, but that is the exception and not the rule. So in my opinion, it’s just too risky, sorry. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Would anyone rent to five 18yr olds for a week ? I guess on the positive side they are honest enough to tell you.

Airbnb doesn't provide any form of real damage deposit to protect you. Here is the faq from one major hotel chain :

If there is only one guest in a room, most hotels require you to be a minimum of 19 years of age. ... When a reservation is for two or more guests, at least one occupant must be 21 years of age or older if any other occupant staying in that room is age 18 or under.

Ann3
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I had an 18 year old and his brother stay in our cottage over the holidays. His grandparents  (our former friends) vouched for him, said they would check on them every day, stated the boys wouldn't be in the cottage except to sleep, yadda yadda. Disaster: worst guest experience ever. It took me close to 10 hours to put the place back to rights, and I can still see the shadow of the stains on my walls from the epic shaving cream fight they had in one of the bathrooms. Who knew that shaving cream would stain pickled pine so badly? I mostly decline people under 21, in particular those who don't have good reviews. A track record with Airbnb (and a clear understanding of how the platform works) go a long way toward reassurance. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Why would you loose search ranking if you deny him? No matter what the cost (imagine or real), NOTHING is worth hosting this lot of 'kids'. If you host them, start searching for the 'Home Improvement' team to fix your place right after they are gone. 😉

Thanks everyone for the insights and information! I am new to hosting so am trying to be reasonable but responsible with my home. 

I ended up asking for additional information and they never replied, so I didn’t approve or deny them. 

I am slowly gaining experience and have had some great guests so far. It’s inevitable that eventually I might get some that are not as good, but that’s a risk we all take I guess! 

Thanks for all the words and advice. 

Randy

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines