180 Night Limit In Japan

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

180 Night Limit In Japan

Can you please explain the 180 night limit rule in Japan?

How will Airbnb enforce this, if at all? Or will it be voluntary?

Also can you explain the 180 night raRulew please? Is it per host? Is it per room? Is it per guest house?

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If the country places this limit, in all probability Airbnb wouldn't leave it on a 'voluntary' and up to the hosd. They could stop booking a specific listing at the 180-day point.

Your "Is it per host? Is it per room? Is it per guest house?" question is a whole other matter and a great question indeed.

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Thank you Fred.  I wish someone at Airbnb would make an announcement.

I feel it is hurting Airbnb by keeping us in the dark.  It must be more difficult to attract new hosts, when Airbnb is unclear on what they plan to do.

However, the main part of the problem has been Japan.

But the government has now made it clear they are in favor of short-term rentals like Airbnb leading up the the Olympics.

So I would think that in the interest of their loyal hosts in Japan, Airbnb would make an official announcement.

2018 is coming soon, and still no official word about how Airbnb will handle the 180 night limit.

Harvey0
Level 4
Nagoya, Japan

The law has finally been finalized but they are still waiting for the local governments to modify some of the rules including the 180 day limit. Some localities will change it to less than 180 days. This review period is suppposed to end by the end of 2017. The registration of hosts will begin on March 15, 2018 and the law will come into effect on June 15, 2018.

The law requires you to report to the local government office by the 15th of every even month (Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec) the number of guests in the previous two months. It is my understanding that Airbnb will also block out your listing after reaching 180 days. My reading of what has been released by the government and other "experts" is that it will apply per room, but I am still not sure of that.

Anyway, that is where things stand now from what I have read in Japanese. I would say wait until after the start 2018 and then go down to your Local Hoken-sho to discuss with them. I will be going to visit mine in February after I return from a trip during all of January.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little bit.

Ryo3
Level 4
Tokyo, Japan

Hi there---its 180 days per property.   However note that this is the MAX under government regulations, and municipalities can limit this significantly by their descretion.  For instance Kyoto is considering only Jan-Feb, and the host needs to be within 8 minutes from the property at all times (I know wtf).   Areas in Tokyo are considering banning it on weekdays. 

As Harvey mentions above there are strict regulations for properties.  You need to register as a property owner, and you are required to hire a licensed homesharing managment company (yes this is for real).  These are nationwide government regulations so no getting around it.  Being a registered property owner you are also subject to numerous requirements such as fire/sanitary requirements and guest registration book and personal verification requirements.

In short the regulations are either going to kill the homesharing market in Japan, or they are going further underground. 

Airbnb has publicly stated that they will delist properties once they reach the 180 day limit. 

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Thanks guys!

Ryo3
Level 4
Tokyo, Japan

Hi @Kevin-s0 just curious but what do you intend to do with the new regulation? I'll have to de-list my apartment in Tokyo but my house in the countryside can probably continue. 

Robbie37
Level 2
Richmond, Australia

I'd recommend switching to one of the other hosting sites such as Xiaozhu. I've read of several hosts listing their property on multiple sites to get around the 180 day limit