19 nights booked in May - How are you all doing?

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

19 nights booked in May - How are you all doing?

I'm a little surprised that business has picked up so much, so quickly. The state of Georgia WAS the first state to "open" back up and I think that has a lot to do with it. 

May 2019 = 17 nights booked. 

May 2020 = 19 nights 

April 2019 = 16 nights

April 2020, = 0 nights 

March 2019 = 17 nights

March 2020 =  11 nights

How are you all doing? I hope it gets better for everyone soon. 

TGIF all! 

41 Replies 41
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Congratulations @Donald28 ! Good News!

Here in the UK ALL calendars are blocked till 31 May, & the government has said the earliest hotels & guest houses etc can open will be 4 July, IF virus cases are still dropping (enough). Thankfully I have a LTR, which is worryingly empty at present, the last occupants having gone back to their usual addresses cos of Covid. But a health worker is coming tomorrow for 2 weeks, then 2 social workers for a few months.

I'm certainly interested how it all goes in other countries, who are allowing travel again already... Tho in some US states it never seemed to stop?

Stay safe! (& 2m distant from your guests!)

Helen350
Level 10

Pooh! The silly cow has cancelled tomorrow for 2 weeks! Back to the drawing board! 

@Helen350 

Silly Cow ! 🙂 🙂 🙂

(emojis added - because - you know...  @Ute42  - Help! )

LOL, @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 LOL!  🙂

Helen350
Level 10

Jan 19 - 35 nights, of which 5 Airbnb (rest off platform, total of 3  super-cheap rooms)

Jan 20 - 58 nights , of which 9 Airbnb

Feb 19 - 56 nights, of which 13 Airbnb

Feb 20 - 43 nights, of which 9 Airbnb

Mar 19 - 37 nights, of which 4 Airbnb

Mar 20 - 44 nights, of which 16 Airbnb

Apr 19 - 55 nights, of which 24 Airbnb

Apr 20 - 28 nights (health & social care workers!), of which 0 Airbnb

May 19 - 43 nights, of which 11 Airbnb

May 20 - 13 nights, with 2 more expected, (Health & soc. care), of which 0 Airbnb

June 19 - 56 nights, of which 15 Airbnb

June 20 - 2 day a week lodger might extend, otherwise 0 - & 0 Airbnb

@Helen350 

You score a hat trick !

Apr 20 - 28 nights  0 Airbnb

May 20 - 13 nights,  0 Airbnb

June 20 -  0 Airbnb

It looks like there is a consistency of losses primarily focused on the UK it seems, and I would argue that the consensus of opinion amongst UK and world hosts would be that Airbnb could have done a better job allowing the parties to negotiate in sharing the losses to result in an outcome that was less unfair on Hosts. That blanket policy was simply inappropriate and illegal in the way it was applied, especially taking in the changes of policy without appropriate, prior notification. 

I'm patiently waiting for the fat lady to sing. This really isn't over yet 🙂

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

Did you get a booking for 2 weeks from today but they cancelled it @Helen350  ? 

Helen350
Level 10

@Robbie54 Yes, but NOT an Airbnb booking, Robbie, for obvious reasons! -  It was via 'Spare Room' - It was someone coming from Leeds to work at the hospital, so would have been legal!

And it was not for my homeshare rooms, it was for my LTR next door- which I only advertise on Spare Room, not Airbnb, cos it's for long term workers normally.

Helen350
Level 10

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Robbie54 @Mike-And-Jane0 - & other British hosts!

Well, I'm feeling heroic.... Just checked my 'Spare Room' listing to see if perchance any hard working health & social care workers want to rest their weary heads chez moi, in my LTR for the next 2 weeks, whilst awaiting new tenants....... (Or is that ANYONE travelling for work now?)

What do I find? - A WANTED ad from a female + daughter wanting a HOLIDAY let for a couple of nights, anywhere in the North of England, or Wales (Good luck with that, crossing their borders, if not already resident.)

I was SO tempted, her offer of £250 for 'a few days change of scene' - starting tomorrow! 

But, no, jollies are still against the law, so I duly reported the ad..... (She'll probably be ensconced somewhere, before my report is picked up after the bank holiday??)

@Helen350 

Meanwhile, Dominic Cummins, the chief government advisor is breaking government guidance with impunity whilst everybody else behaves.

I have my calendar open and available, but remind enquirers that in our current lockdown, any booking they wish to make will be at their own risk and would lose 50% of their booking to us and 20% of their booking to Airbnb should cancellation be necessary under that same government guidance. The temptation of a 7 day booking just before the expected release of lockdown is indeed hard to fight.

To temper the messaging, I do say that if they want to book dates after July 4th they would receive a more welcoming reply but I do HAVE to make things clear.  The possibility of changing the dates of their booking is always available - even if the initial dates booked fall foul of the government legislation.

Then... Silence.

Sophisticated scammers or just bottom feeder chancers?  I'll let you know the answer to that if anything results.

I would disagree with reporting the mother and daughter, but not judge your decision. Anybody, not living with the availability of open space, fresh air, nobody around, and needing a break for their health and wellbeing after being cooped up for so long need to be considered with some sensibility rather than judgement. If we were more remote from close neighbours, I'd definitely be more considerate of booking. I've really quite enjoyed living in the country these last 12 weeks or so, and it should really be available for others to share.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Oh, I agree, I'd LOVE to host her... for her benefit and mine! It would be lovely to use my LTR as a holiday cottage for a change, & I'd genuinely like to make someone happy...  They want to spend all their time outdoors.) Win, win for her & me!

I personally think this sort of thing SHOULD be legal, I think the ban on staying away overnight SHOULD be lifted... I'd open ALL holiday accommodation tomorrow, if it were down to me!

But it's illegal, so I'm forcing myself not to offer! (She might have a better offer anyway.)

I've also got a hostile neighbour, (hates everyone) - who objects to me letting, & tried to stop it with the Council... The Council supported me 100%! So best not give him a genuine infringement to observe & report!

Maybe I shouldn't have reported her.... It was only to the site, for misuse of platform. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Great news @Donald28! Much of Maine is still waiting to open but we basically have a ban on tourists this summer and the Unversity may not hold classes in the fall. I'm holding out for Summer 2021 I suppose.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Donald28 

It's great its looking up for you Donald ! You had a crap April mate - what happened?

Its been full-on here in the UK, and if I didn't live here in such a great place I would definitely come here on holiday.

PEOPLE !  COME HERE ON HOLIDAY  !

Wall to wall cancellations! But using up all the paint, wood, sand and cement from the sheds, then even had to import some from across town via the local builders' merchants who had the *BEST* social distancing system ever! I truly hope they continue it after the lockdown. No Toilet Paper, No Flour, No Baking Powder, No Sand, No Cement. And the bonus? Sunny weather - - like you've never known  😞 - - like we've never known BEFORE.

So sounding like an Eurovision Song Contest points report, here are the results from the Lake District judge in the UK:

July 2020 = Outlook - 7 nights (maybe)

June 2020 = NIL nights 

May 2020 = NIL nights 

April 2020 = NIL nights 

By heck, I hope somebody sends me a kindness card pretty soon , or I get a SuperHost grant invitation!

Beer has been in good supply, so not all bad news.

(which just reminds me...) 🙂

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I blocked my place for all of March, but after I opened it back up in mid-April, I have had some bookings. Mostly from Alaskan residents but two front line responders (my favorite, most respectful guests ever!).