2 rentals or 1?

Kelly-And-Dave2
Level 2
Port Angeles, WA

2 rentals or 1?

My husband and I are considering moving but keeping our current property and renting it on Airbnb. We have a small but cute 2 and 2 cottage on 1 acre. There is also an apartment above the garage. The garage is about 15 feet from the house. 

I guess my question, since the units are so close together, is..can we rent them seperately? Would that be weird with another party so close? The backyard/firepit along with the large deck area would be a common area I guess. 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can do three listings; one for each property and then one for both properties - just make sure you link the calendars and make it clear in the listings that there is another STR in the same area.

I would say CCTV would be an essential if you are hosting remotely to monitor for noise and renters bringing in additional guests not on the booking/partying. @Kelly-And-Dave2 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kelly-And-Dave2,

It would be okay to rent each space separately as long as you feel that there would be sufficient buffering for noise, and each set of guests can maintain their privacy.  

Just to add onto @Helen3's suggestion about linking calendars, please note that it really only works for linking between one primary and one secondary calendars.  It does not establish a calendar link between the secondary calendars:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1864/how-do-i-link-airbnb-calendars-for-multiple-listings

"Calendars will only be linked between the parent and child listings you choose, and do not create a linked calendar between child listings."

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kelly-And-Dave2 has either of those spaces been on ABB before? and how far away will you be?

At first glance, my take would be to get a long-term renter in the garage apartment with the understanding that they would be additional eyes for any problems with the house and that way the whole place isn't completely vacant between guests.