20% discount for first three guests

20% discount for first three guests

Hi I am new to Airbnb and when I posted my listing it was suggested to offer a 20% discount on my first three bookings which I agreed to.

My first booked and sent me a message to say she had paid  half the amount now and when would the discount be given.

I presumed Airbnb would work this all out? Can someone please help thanks so much

Louise

10 Replies 10
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Louise253

It's quite tempting to get involved when guest query matters over payments.

Remember though that the guest pays not you but airbnb directly - then later airbnb release a payment to you.

You can't see what the guest sees regarding transactions at their side - so it's always best to refer the guest to call airbnb directly over these questions.

Although you may feel responsible, it's the airbnb helpline that is best placed to see the overall picture.

The contact number will be on the booking receipt.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Louise253 - If you were prompted by Airbnb to give guests a 20% discount, and you accepted, your part is done. However, you want to have a happy, reassured guest. I suggest you give her the number to Airbnb Customer Support and encourage her to call and ask about the discount and how that will be worked out in her payments. Let her know you'd appreciate her following up with you so that you will know if her concerns were adequately addressed by Airbnb. I've done this before and guests appreciate me finding the number for them and supporting them through the process. In a worst case scenario, if the guest is not getting her questions answered to her satisfaction, I might call Airbnb myself to ask what's up and then follow up with the guest. Hope it all works out and Congratulations on your bookings!

Gina254
Level 2
Castle Rock, CO

I have a question related to this; I also agreed to the 20% discount for my first 3 guests. One of these guests just cancelled, and another guest booked right afterwards, but it doesn't seem that she received the discount, and she is asking about it. Shouldn't she automatically have gotten it? If not, I told her I would honor it, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it, since she's already booked.

Thanks for any help!

Kian6
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

Hi,

I just published a new listing.

I initially ignored the prompt for 20% discount given to the first 3 guets. However I 'd like to activate this option. Where can I access this setting again?

Did you ever get an answer on the 20% discount location for the first 3 guests?  I cannot find it either and now it doesn't look like its applying it to the base rate on the listing cover so guests can't even see there is a discount given.....??

Isabel2830
Level 1
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Hi! Did you ever figure out the answer to this? I have this problem right now.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

In the early stages it’s all about getting  great reviews. I personally call Airbnb if a guest reaches out to me with a query like this.  Some are new to Airbnb or confused. Talk to the agent and explain the issue and ask them to  contact guest direct. Let your guest know you are doing this and then follow up to check everything has been resolved. The guest will hopefully give you 5* for communication at least. Good luck

Angela2152
Level 1
Apollo Bay, AU

Hi Gang,  I'm new to Air BnB and I've offered the 20% to my first three bookings, but it's still applying the discount after 4 bookings.  How can I turn this off? Thanks!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Angela2152 

This is unfortunately common place  Angela, you are going to have to get onto Airbnb customer support by phoning 02 8520333, that is the Sydney number and ask them to attend to it.

You will find that Airbnb are very efficient at setting up discounts to make listings cheaper but they are simply dreadful  at removing them.

I would also suggest you don't offer longer term stay discounts up front.......that is a discount for a stay over 7 nights. 

What can happen if you do offer a 12% discount for a stay longer than a week, a guest can book for 14 nights and arrive. The guest will be charged the 12% discount rate for the 14 night reservation for which you will be paid. Six nights into the stay they may for some reason cancel and Airbnb will refund them 7 nights at the discount rate they paid. That seems fair on the surface doesn't it? But what it means is you have provided them with a 6 nights stay at a 12% discount....you have given them 6 nights at a 14 night price! 

Discounts are an Airbnb marketing tool, stay away from them Angela, they are not designed to help you, they are designed to get Airbnb more booking fees.

You can offer a guest a discount for a longer stay but, offer it in the form of a refund at the end of the stay where you know exactly where you stand and what you can offer, if you let Airbnb automatically do it, you will probably regret it!

Cheers......Rob

Stacia16
Level 2
Weatherford, TX

How can I give a guest a 20% discount, two came through at the same time one got it and one didn't.  This is an opportunity for a returning guest.