2019: Month of Celebration

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

2019: Month of Celebration

CC Project.jpg

Hiya everyone!

Since December 2017, we have held annual Month of Celebrations here in the Community Center, throughout the month of December.

For those of you who haven't heard of this before, here is a quick recap:

For each day of December, a different community member posts a new topic about something positive! This can be a nice story, personal experience, tips... whatever gives you a smile! Each time, we have shared some great conversations and laughs.

Last year we had some wonderful topics including @Nutth0 with A host who enriches passion by hosting an Experience and a festive look from @Helen427 with Christmas - Reflections, Reminiscing, Remembrance . So the range of things huge. You can take a look at last years' here, to get the creative juices flowing.

We have had a few of you CC'ers ask if we are running it again this year and we have decided: YES! However, as you can imagine, we are time poor so we need YOUR HELP!

If you would like to get involved, please reply to this thread letting us know which day(s) you would like to post your topic.

fullsss.PNG

I hope you are all enjoy this dose of positivity whether you get involved or just enjoy reading 😄

A huge thank to every member of this CC - we couldn't do it without you!

Stephanie, @Lizzie  & @Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

136 Replies 136
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Certainly @Debi1 - it's all yours!

-----

Stephanie, I have my article ready (Day 18).  Do you want me to wait to post it on the right day, or do you need to read and approve first?  If you want it in advance, I'm happy to send it to you.  Debi

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Debi1 ,

It's entirely up to you 🙂 On the day or in advance, I will feature it on the 18th regardless. If you find yourself busy this week, you can always send me the text and I can post on your behalf.

Thanks

-----

Hey Stephanie,  I am trying to upload my article and attach a photo.  I am stuck.  When I click on the photo icon, I get prompted to input stuff like 'source and size' but not the actual photo.  Is there a trick to this?  I'm wondering if I should upload the article without the photo ...

So here is the body of the text.  It won't upload either.  Can you help?  Sorry to be such a pain! I wonder if I've violated a rule somewhere in this text... and then there's the photo...  I should have done this yesterday! (The Title is Day 18 - Building a Host Community)

November 2014:  I was driving from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco, for the first Airbnb Open!  I was excited about the Open, but frustrated at not being able to connect with other hosts.  Having newly opened our rental space, I was naturally eager to connect with other hosts but couldn’t, unless I held other hosts’ calendars hostage.  So, during the drive, knowing there were many hosts in my home city, I started a Meetup group. We held our first Meetup the very next month, and every month from then on.  Membership quickly grew; we discussed writing and receiving reviews, home insurance, electronic locks, and more. Over the next year, it became clear that we had some great talent and hosting wisdom in our community.  We should have the next conference ourselves! From hosts, by hosts and for hosts! 140 people attended.

There are many, many Facebook groups that focus on hosting, and they are great, but actually meeting people in our own communities is amazing. Gathering for social events like picnics and coffee, we get to know each other and our neighborhoods.  Workshops, speakers and presentations increase our knowledge and skills. The level of hosting excellence rises. The number of Superhosts grows.  

We have gone on to organize into a nonprofit trade association called Host2Host, and we continue to support each other in ways that make us even better at what we do.  We share guest referrals, insights, and information. We teach each other and make lasting friends. While we absolutely love our guests, we respect and help each other in our businesses.  Who would have ever thought that hosting could enrich the body and soul like this?

Tough times are eased as well.  When regulations changed, and advocacy was needed, the City Council welcomed our input versus only being lobbied by the Online Travel Associations (OTAs).  Our Advocacy team has been asked to review and comment on draft regulations and offer expert testimony in City Council. We hold a seat on the board of directors of our local tourism association, Travel Portland.  There is still work to do, but we are being heard, we do have a voice in our local government.

We have now had over 65 meetups, a well-attended conference, a vendor fair and most recently, a celebratory fundraiser we named “HostFest”.  Our community is vibrant and growing, in many ways. It’s totally amazing to me what you can do when you just want to meet people and talk with them.  Although I founded this nonprofit group, it takes many of us to keep it going. The talent, wisdom, and willingness offered is amazing. If you want to create a host community where you are, please feel free to reach out to me, and I invite you to check out our website Host2Host.  If we can do it, you can do it!!!

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

@Stephanie  Hi.....I'll take Christmas day, that should give me time to come up with something =^)

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oooo the big one! No pressure @Wende2 ! I've added you to the calendar. 

-----

Hi.....will we get a reminder email, I may need it.?  I plan to spend time between now an then writing it all down, then just copy n paste, I did see photos from the posts you shared in the email, hoping to do that too.  Have a Great day, and up coming weekend.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I will remind you the day before and the day of @Wende2 

-----

@Stephanie  Hi.....Thanks......I'm new to this so I'm not sure about where I'm to post on Christmas.  Do I just leave my well wishes an thoughts here on this thread.?  Can you leave me a link to where I should post.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Wende2 ,

If you could go ahead and post it as a new topic here: New topic

Don't forget to call it: Day 25 - (topic name)

And include a nice picture, if you can!

Thanks

-----

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie 

There's an old saying, 'you can have too much of a good thing' and I had thought of leaving the 'Month of Celebration' to some of the newcomers this year!

I was reminded a few weeks ago, everyone has a great story in them........ it just needs the right question to prize it out of them!

But, having said that Steph, if you have a day in December that needs filling, pencil me in and I will submit an offering!

Cheers.....Rob

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 shall we see at the end of the November if there's any gaps and decide? I want to hear more about Tasmania! 

Thanks

Steph

-----

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie 

Tasmania is something else! From Cradle Mountain to Port Arthur, to Hobart and MONA, gee Steph, it is a must do experience .

Father Daughter trip to Tassie.....god it's great to be alive!

IMG20191009180651.jpg

I have had guests from Europe and the US say in their initial message...."How far are you from Mona"! .....and at first, I had absolutely no idea what Mona was! MONA stands for the 'Museum of Old and New Art'.....and Steph it is breathtaking. Some of the exhibits  take you a couple of minutes to actually get your head around what you are seeing. Every exhibit is totally unique and the whole complex is fluid, it is changing all the time. There is a Porsche 911 on steroids! There is a wall of water that spells letters, there is a room of nothing but molds of vaginas', there is a room that looks like mirrors but.........nah, I will leave that one, you can't describe it, you have to smell it and see it and concentrate really hard to understand just what it is. Visitors are allowed in one at a time and are told by a guide at the door to keep their hands in their pockets and not touch anything, just let the experience overtake you! Here it is taken from above with someone trying to work out what they are actually looking at!

IMG20191011123232.jpg

Crazy rooms of sculptured glass!

IMG20191011123452.jpg

The galleries run over 4 different levels ......

IMG20191011141757.jpg

https://youtu.be/eCkoWcDoBK8?t=469

We had just the greatest time. We walking into a pub in Hobart called the 'Welcome Stranger' one night .......had a drink or two, and in the games room was this 8 lane massive slot car racing track! I haven't seen anything like it for 20 years. Sarah and I used to go slot car racing when she was a kid and wow, did we have a great hour or two reliving the past!

Port Arthur was stunning, there is massive restoration work going on their to try and return it to it's past, when it was a convict settlement, it is sad, but beautiful.......

IMG20191010123551.jpg

There is a commemoration pool and plaque where the 'Arrow Cafe' once stood where the greatest gun related massacre in Australian history took place in 1996. You can't help but just stand there, look into the water and reflect on the un-imaginable horrors that must have taken place on that day in 1996!

There is a town on the way to Pt Arthur called 'Doo Town'! Yeah, l am not kidding!

IMG20191010103529.jpg

Every house in 'Doo Town' has a name and every house name has the word Doo in it....all 250 of them.......

IMG20191010102520.jpg

IMG20191010102721.jpg

IMG20191010102804.jpg

IMG20191010103236.jpg

IMG20191010102950.jpg

You just have no idea what is around every corner in Tasmania. I can't wait to go back there again, take Ade and a couple of friends with us.

Cheers......Rob

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What an incredible adventure you and Sarah have been on! I'm more inspired than ever to travel more 2020! My dad is a keen historian so I sent him a link to your post, he's very interested. 

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful post @Robin4 !

Cheers,

Steph

-----