28% tax withholding deducted from my income - EU citizen

Joachim36
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

28% tax withholding deducted from my income - EU citizen

Hi everyone,

I am a host in Barcelona, born in The Netherlands, and I don't have anything to do with the American tax system.

Somehow Airbnb deducted 28% from all my bookings for two months. An American tax. Out of nothing.

After filling in some kind of a tax form (W-8BEN) it didn't happen anymore. But I am not getting my money back which they deducted from me. For me this is ridiculous, since I am not from the United States. 

I called over 25 times and spoke to a lot of people from the customer service of Airbnb. Nobody can help me.

I am desperate and have no idea how to get my money back.

Anyone an idea?

16 Replies 16
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

WOW

Samah0
Level 2
Cairo, Egypt

can you please tell us how you filled in this form? what tax number to use and what did you put in the tax treaty part? I am an egyptian host in egypt with listings in Egypt and i am facing the same situation but i dont know how to fill in this form or with what!  Thank you in advance

If you go on payout preference menu, there is a spot called Tax payer information that you can fill up your information there

Terry-And-Elaine0
Level 2
Seoul, South Korea

same thing happened to me , they have deducted since last Dec. its nearly 20,000 USD haha.. Im still dealing with it. I will let you know if i get it back. But its really hard cuz Airbnb never told you or helped you with any information that they remitted to US IRS. wish you have a good luck.

Did you end up get anyhting back. I am just dealling with it right now. 

David978
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

I am having the same problem they are with holding over 22000 in payments.

I've been out to airbnb a couple of months with no satisfaction customer service can't help case managers can't help and if even put this in writing to me I am now going legal I have no other choice customer service and support I've received from airbnb has been the worst I've ever received in my life it's absolutely ridiculous they don't seem to care

Kay63
Level 3
Olongapo, Philippines

Hi, Any follow up on this?  22000 USD ?

Me too I’m furious 

David978
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Has anybody had any luck getting anything resolved 

I am dealing with it right now. But have anything been resovled for you?

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

In the past when I've done real estate deals with my family in Europe escrow would deduct 28% for taxes incase I would not pay the US taxes. Make sure that all of your taxes information is correct. If you do not provide proper tax information the US will deduct 28% taxes from all foreign entities.

Kay63
Level 3
Olongapo, Philippines

Hi,

I am a Belgian National with a few listings in Philippines and Thailand.  Airbnb started deducting 30% of my own hard earned income to pay for an US tax.  Surely this can't be legal???

I do not answer to the US government, but Airbnb still hijacked my own payout system and started deducting 30% of my bookings.  Luckily I caught them fairly quick since it started and I will not allow people to book my listings through Airbnb anymore until the stolen money has been returned.

I will not let this slide, and I will follow up here.

@Kay63

This has been going on for years. Have a look here..

AirBnB withholding tax for non-US listings 
https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/AirBnB-withholding-tax-for-non-US-listings-and-non-US-re...

Penelope
Kay63
Level 3
Olongapo, Philippines

Yes, thanks.  Just went through that whole conversation.  Mind boggling that the withholding scam goes on.  It seems just a few people here and there get hit by it.  So very few people complain about this.