3rd party & instant booking dishonesty

Yolanda8
Level 6
Hamilton, CA

3rd party & instant booking dishonesty

I've enjoyed being an Airbnb Host these past several months and I've found the experience both interesting and financially rewarding.

I've activated Instant Booking on my site, and I've made very clear House Rules; Absolutely NO 3rd Party bookings!  Accomodations are only for ONE Adult; No Visitors! No Couples!

I've recently run into a very worrysome issue and I'd like some suggestions from the community.....

A few weeks ago I received a 3rd party instant booking [through a different site] ...there's no way to know that its 3rd party until the guest arrives.....and of course the guest arrives late at night pleading mercy cause there's no where else to stay; Cdn male booked for a young Nigerian female & brought her to my accomodation straight from the local internation airport [with all her MANY bags].... I questioned them, but eventually let her stay instead of sending them into the dark night; he did not stay, but came daily to take her out for an hour..... I offered to take her out to a local shopping centre but she said she had to stay in the room until he came back; she had a cellphone but no service; the whole thing seemed extremely strange to me so I removed her early...

Now I've encountered a similar situation; a Cdn male instant books for 6 nights; but arrives with a young Nigerian female straight from the airport....this time they both plead to stay; [terrible weather outside] 10pm...... I agree for the night only......what's going on here?    I do NOT want to be involved with any Human Trafficing issue; this young woman [20yrs] also doesn't leave the room; I've arranged a meeting with the male this evening & I've informed a friend of mine of the situation [retired PC]   None of these women appear under-age and they do understand the language, but are very secretive.

-has anyone else encountered these issues, pls provide any feedback / suggestions U may have [I'm not worried for my safety, but I'm worried about the legality of hosting these ppl]

6 Replies 6
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

You should report immediately to Airbnb and let them know what you think is going on. If you suspect trafficing, contact local law enforcement so that they can work with Airbnb to catch those involved.

Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

Agree completely - it's supicious.  I'd call the police too.  I'm worried about the women's behaviour/fear and what's going on.  It's not too late to call and it might fit a pattern of something they are seeing elsewhere. And I'd personally turn off instant booking so you can screen guests. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

@Yolanda8, whenever I get an instant booking, I immediately have a chat with the guest to know about them. So that, if I'm uncomfortable hosting them, I can cancel the booking. BTW, Airbnb allows upto 3 IB cancellations without penalties.

Take care of your self while dealing with the Man, if possible please have someone at home with you. If things don't seem right, inform Airbnb right way, you can get the number on the itinenary.

Going forward, if a similar situation arises, don't let unregistered guests in your house, you can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking, it's against the policy.

Good luck 🙂

Jeet

Yolanda8
Level 6
Hamilton, CA

Thnx 4 the great input for the community..... yes I did advise AirBnb of the issue [although I had to google "Find a Human" to get a phone number for them].....seems difficult to reach AirBnb Customer Service via phone

-update; I did have a meeting with the guests when the man came back from work...turns out; its a simple case of adutery; the man is married, met a new woman on-line & wisked her into the country; planning to hide her in my home [visiting her nightly for sex] without his wife knowing......although this is creepy, at least its not human trafficing ..... I asked them to find other accomodation.  AirBnb responded with calendar & reimbursement adjustment [they did not penalize me for the cancellation as 2 of the T&C's were broken by the guest].

And what is the Airbnb contact, Yolanda? I have a 3rd party reservation suspicious like that. I live in Orlando and a woman who lives in Orlando as well booked 20 days for a Nigerian men. She said it's only for him, and she said he is her business partner. I asked her why she needed a room if she lives here and why wasn't him to book the days as I believe this is not a procedure allowed by Airbnb. Then she changed the things and said she would be with him. I don't know what to do, I fear about our safety (it's only me and my son 10years old).

don't know Ur area, but here the AirBnb toll-free #: +1-855-424-7262  [for Hosts]

I suggest that U contact AirBnb immediately whenever U feel uncomfortable with a Guest..... 

Personally; I've changed my "House Rules" to: "One Adult per Room" "No Visitors" -this seems to help but I've also had to put a price on the breaking of this rule so that ppl realize I'm serious so:

$150 "Emergency 2nd person in Room" fee will be applied if U allow another person into the accommodation

-this usually does, in fact, catch people's eye; so they don't wanna pay & go elsewhere.... -then I don't have to cancel & can keep my "SuperHost" status