4 star ratings

Polly16
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

4 star ratings

Some of my guests went to several Airbnb right before coming to my place. They told me they were not satisfied of their previous Airbnb but they ended up not giving them reviews and gave me a 4 star. From their perspective, they think 4 star is good. But I feel that I should have given them a lower quality Airbnb such that they don't leave me a review rather than give me a 4 star. A 4 star would actually lower my rating and my future guests will see a 4.5 star if I have many 4 stars. I wish that Airbnb would give penalties to the overall ratings even if guests don't leave a review 

2 Replies 2
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Question is how was your guest for get the review how was your guest we as Host work hard to please guest and belive me some time is not worth it if you know what I mean

@Polly16, many hosts worry about the very same thing. If the guest does not understand how the ratings work, they can give you what they think is a good rating, but the rating actually hurts you.

I know some hosts take some trouble to try to explain about the 5-star rating (usually in the house instructions), but there is no guarantee that guests will read and understand. You never know who will be the guest who mis-understands, and if you try to explain in detail to every single guest, you risk looking "pushy" and getting down-rated for that.

I think hosts eventually settle on just providing the best possible experience (as it sounds like you already do), and (when appropriate) dropping subtle hints. (I think one host likes to end messages with "I hope you are having a 5-star experience!" to get the 5-star idea in their head.)