5 stars in all categories but 4 star stay?

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

5 stars in all categories but 4 star stay?

I don't understand how a guest can leave 5 stars in all categories, plus a lovely review, but it comes up as 4 stars.  Am I missing something?

58 Replies 58
Alice391
Level 2
Orpington, United Kingdom

Thanks, Cor. You've been very helpful - though, partly due to Airbnb's keeping our site down below far inferior sites with stars - I doubt that we'll get the third review this season!! 

Never mind. It will be their loss, in the end, assuming we move elsewhere - as I think we will.

I also find it very demeaning that Airbnb is continually telling us that our rates are too high. Our rates are really pretty LOW - for being able to hear the Mediterranean from every room, and co-owning the biggest private pool for about ten miles around a famous tourist area.  Our neighbours are attempting to charge twice as much, though we do think that they might be, um, over-optimistic!

Airbnb CAN'T know anything about EVERY local area, so why do they seem to continually pressurize owners - who mostly WILL know a good deal about their area - into lowering their prices?

Yours,

Alice

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Alice391,

Never mind these (not so) smart price tips!

There are loads of threads to be found here, showing great annoyance about these constant mails, reminders, tips, etc.

It is a commercial psychological trick Airbnb deploys. Why: They want to be cheapest in the market! Which is in their best interest. And they know: Constant repetition delivers the message in the end.

There are other tools in the market, with which you can set the best dynamic price for your property.

So what is in the best interest for the host is not automatically aligned with the best interests for Airbnb.

Luca’s computer is delivering the same message to all hosts!

Even when you are booked (close to) solid.

Airbnb is all about numbers and math!

That's why it is strange, they verbally always use generic statements, such as: Better, More, Etc.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Alice391,

I had 1 review in the past, where I had stars on the following items:

• Overall experience
  • Accuracy
  • Cleanliness

But nothing on:

• Communication
  • Check in

Maybe it was a temporary glitch, at that moment.

Or it is possible for guests, to skip the star rating for some sub-categories.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bex1  Like most other hosts, I have had the same experience.  Actually, I did't realize that until recently when I decided to look into all my reviews and noticed the break down.  I remembered the guests and another element might be that the guest was not happy with Air BNB rules.  In this case the booking guest for a group wanted to leave early and have another person take her place.  Air BNB spoke with her and reinforced that this would cause the cancellation of the booking for the last day.  She was not a happy camper.

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

I had one guest give me 5 for all categories and 3 overall. It was my first less than perfect rating and it was pretty upsetting. I emailed them politely asking if there was any feedback they had for me, as 3/5 is a terrible score to give (I actually felt at this point it was a mistake, their written review and private feedback were all good) but they didn't reply so I guess they meant to do it. Sigh. Can't win em all. 

I’ve been a super host for 2 years and this rating discrepancy has happened twice to me

So you get an amazing review all 5 stars in all catagories and then wham you’re knocked off your feet with a ridiculous overall 4 star rating ??

I completely disagree when the guest has the opportunity and right to do an overall 4 star rating which doesn’t match their initial review

COME ON Airbnb this should not be allowed !!!

This makes a sham of your ratings system that we all bend over backwards and work hard to maintain

Marcela337
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

Ugh, I just got one of those...

It would be awesome if the actual overall rating, based on all selected stars existed.  That would bump the "bad" rating to over 4.5

Leonidas25
Level 2
Nea Smyrni, Greece

That just happened to me... is there a way to ask the guest to change it?

@Leonidas25  No, reviews and ratings can't be edited or changed.

D118
Level 2
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

Yes. It happened to me a few days ago. The guest gave 5* on everything and I received overall4*. I didn't understand it but Airbnb said only the guest can call then to ask for it to be removed. I told my guest that although I appreciate his lovely review it has caused my public 5* ratings to drop to 4.9* so can he please remove it, which he did. I believe overall should be an average of the 6 categories. This is very mean to hosts. Try asking the guests to call them and remove it. Hope this helps.

Colleen426
Level 3
British Columbia, Canada

My guest did call.  Airbnb said sorry. Can't change the reviews.  So I have a 4.9 now.  I made mention on the public reviews from that guest.  She was very upset with Airbnb.  Good for you if you got it changed.

@Colleen426  You misunderstand. Reviews can't be changed or edited which is why your guest was told no. @D118  said his guest asked for the review and rating to be removed. Airbnb will do that at the reviewer's request. Your guest asked them to do the wrong thing.

Colleen426
Level 3
British Columbia, Canada

Airbnb should have told my guest it can't be changed.....but can be removed.  The communication is the problem with Airbnb.  They are great at talking in circles without ever answering the main question.  Sorry Airbnb.  If you gave that option to my guest they would have done it.  It wasn't offered.  So delete not change the review.  Weird.  Mistakes are made and we pay the price.  All five stars and a mistaken four for overall.  Whatever.  

@Colleen426  Yes, I've never experienced so many customer service agents from any company that talk in circles without ever making anything clear as with Airbnb reps. I envision their job interviewees being asked a question and given one minute to see how well they can obfuscate while giving out no actual information. Brownie points if the user ends up more confused than they were to start with. 

It really doesn't seem difficult at all to say, " Airbnb policy does not permit reviews or ratings to be changed after they are published, ma'am.  If you made a mistake in the rating you left,  the only thing we can do is remove the review and rating entirely. Is that what you would like us to do?"

Yet they seem unable to communicate in this straightforward way. It boggles the mind.

Colleen426
Level 3
British Columbia, Canada

You're funny.  Are you American? Living in Mexico?  Your personality is definitely not Canadian.  I'm an American living in Canada.  I've never heard the word 'sorry' so many times in my life.  And then throw in a good ole truck convoy.  Cracks me up.  
I actually like my suite rented to various folks around the world.  It's been a blast.  Hopefully it will continue for some time.  Airbnb is fine if you don't ask questions.  So I threw in the towel after the last circle game.  Hopefully the same is true for you.  I'm a win win sort of girl...... to many win lose scenarios.....  just do the best I can and forgive and ..... well.....  yeah.......  🙂