$50k in payouts being withheld!

Beach-Time0
Level 2
Galveston, TX

$50k in payouts being withheld!

Recently, AirBnB stopped payouts to our account and refuses to give us a reason.  We have not violated any policies, do not owe any guests, have no disputes, etc.  I've reached out on CS over 20 times and called several times.  We have approximately 50 properties we manage for owners that are expecting us to process their July payments.   Of course, we cannot pay what we have not received.  This happened in May 2022 as well.  At that time it only took minimal contact to get the issue resolved...but, no explanation as to why it happened in the first place.  Any suggestions?   Who to contact?  Have you experienced this problem?  TIA

10 Replies 10
Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Beach-Time0  I'm sorry this is happening. 

1. You have an interesting portfolio.  42 listings each with roughly 0-10 reviews each. Seems a little odd.
  2. "I've reached out on CS over 20 times and called several times."  I'm not following this AT ALL.  You mean to tell me: you dial up CS.  Talk to them for a few mins.  And then you let them off the phone without giving you some sort of reassurance that this situation is being worked?  I just don't really understand what you even mean.  If Airbnb owes me a single penny, I'm ALL OVER THEM until I get it.  Why have you stopped engaging CS?
  3. How the heck does someone's AR get to $50K?  Let's assume you're doing $15K/day.  Wouldn't you be all over these guys from day #1?  You have just sat there and not gotten paid for 3-5 days?  Yeah, nope!  

Good luck to you.  Bottom line: CS is where you start and they're the ones that will escalate this for you and get you where you need to be.  Don't let the rep off the phone with you until #1. They acknowledge there's been a withholding (even if it's for reasons unknown), and #2. They tell you what to expect next, and #3. You insist that CS sends you a summary of said conversation in a Message Thread conversation.  Finally: don't let them off the phone with you until you get that thread.  

Let us know how this pans out!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Richard531 I agree with you, I would be all over them like a rash I am always watching when my payments are due, 

Beach-Time0
Level 2
Galveston, TX

@Richard531  Thank you for your comments.  However, I thought this was a platform to gain insight and knowledge, as well as to help each other while navigating the world of short-term rentals...not to be judgmental or patronizing. 

1.  Patronizing Comment 1:  I'm not sure what the number of reviews we have (or don't have) has to do with paying out money owed to our owners.  Nor do I see the relevance of you pointing out our exact number of "published" listings (which can change daily based on a myriad of circumstances).  Neither  has anything to do with AirBnB violating their responsibility to basic trust accounting/transactions. 

2.  Patronizing Comment 2:  Regarding reaching out over 20 times to get the matter resolved - Uh...yeah...that's exactly what I'm saying!  Except you assumed I was just "letting them off the phone without giving (me) some sort of reassurance that this situation is being worked."  (We all know what "assume" means here...)

3.  Patronizing Comment 3:  You're way out of line on this one.  Believe me, the responsibility of managing "OPM" is a top priority, and getting to the bottom of this AirBnB stall tactic has not been delayed.  Our disbursements are processed and reviewed throughout the month in preparation for owner payments the following month.  This ordeal has been going on for weeks, with no resolution...but NOT for the lack of trying.

My whole point in reaching out was to see if anyone else on this community platform has had this issue?  Was there a specific cause/reason for this to happen?  How do I resolve it and prevent it from recurring?  AirBnB certainly isn't providing any information.  I called again today and was told I could not be transferred to the department handling this and they would "escalate" it to the appropriate department, nor could I speak with a supervisor as they would tell me the same thing.  I was assured someone would get back with me....blah, blah, blah.  Same circus, different day.

Once again, thank you for your words of wisdom, support and encouragement.  Although entertaining reading, not much help.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Beach-Time0 , I'm so sorry to hear about this. I've sent this over to the team now so they can look into the payment issue. They'll be in touch with you shortly and if I receive an update in the meantime I'll let you know!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Sybe I still have not received a response or reason for this delay.  This MUST be resolved immediately and our payouts need to be released.

Beach Time Vacation Rentals

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Beach-Time0 this is horrifying! One of my best clients just invested in Galveston and I think he is using a different manager but from what I understand this is a totally unregulated market so they cannot hide behind "issues with the license" like they have in some cities? Do you have an account manager contact? As a property manager? How much do they owe you? 

Beach-Time0
Level 2
Galveston, TX

Hi, @Mary419  -

We are somewhat regulated in Galveston and are required to have a city permit to market on AirBnB.  All the properties in our portfolio are licensed and HOT is paid.  (AirBnB collects it and reports for us by agreement with the City of Galveston.)  Although we are a management company, we are not assigned an AirBnB "rep" or "manager contact" like we have with other OTA's.  We use a pretty robust PMS and reached out to them for their contact at AirBnB, but have not gotten very far with that either.  As of today,  AirBnB now owes my owners $50,015.44.  I've started researching this issue online and have found others over the past three years have had the same problems with AirBnB wrongfully withholding their payouts...for MONTHS!  I called CS again today, only to be told it was  "escalated up to the department that handles this", but it was sent back for lack of information from the previous Ambassador."  What the heck does that mean???  I've confirmed all the details on our account are accurate, as is our payout method.  This situation is like the crooks that float checks!

Thanks for you comments.  Please let your friend know I'm happy to assist if they have any questions, or need information about Galveston!

Beach-Time0
Level 2
Galveston, TX

Update:  I found a direct contact at AirBnB in San Francisco.  Emailed.  Got a response within hours and our funds have now been released.  What a nightmare!

Hi @Beach-Time0 , may I know the email

add that u sent the email to? I’m experiencing the same payout issues like yours & having a nightmare at the moment thinking it would not be released at all! Sigh

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

So what did they say was the issue that led to them restricting payments ? 

Airbnb is normally much more responsive to large scale management companies like yours than individual hosts so surprising to hear they were unresponsive to you.