6 Signs Your Next Booking Could Be Dealing Drugs/Involved in Illegal Activity

Answered!

6 Signs Your Next Booking Could Be Dealing Drugs/Involved in Illegal Activity

naively allowed my home to be used as a drug distribution center on several occasions. I started doing some research. I called my local police station and talked to other hosts who have also been taken advantage of in this way. I've learned that the drug community is using things like Airbnb more and more to distribute their drugs. Often times their "customers" are told that your home is the dealers residence. Know the signs. As the host, you have the right to evict guests involved in illegal activity or guests who have broken your house rules in anyway.

6 Signs Your Next Booking Could Be A Drug Dealer

1. The guest is from your local town. They may say they used to live here and are vising friends.
2. Any of your guests prior stays have also been local and recent.
3. These booking are often last minute.
4. You notice several different vehicles and a lot of traffic in and out; people coming and going that all seem to have purpose.
5. Your guest seems nice but is short in face to face conversation.
6. These guests will often have a some form of protective companion. This could be a dog or person

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As soon as you know your guest is breaking your house rules,  you can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking. If you do so, it's likely you won't be paid. @Carole212  (I am presuming here you asked the guest to pay for the additional guests and not to break your rules around night time noise and the guest hasn't done so).

Personally if guests turn up with additional guests on check in, I ask them to pay (if I have the space) if they refuse,  I would call Airbnb straight away rather than let them stay.

If you have tenants rights after 30 days, then you should set your listing not to accept bookings more than say 28 days.

If you feel your property is at risk, they won't pay for the additional people and are breaking your house rules around late night noise, call Airbnb and ask them to cancel, so you can hopefully get your place rebooked.

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27

@Mary1751 Yes, I do say that in my listing. Although I am not sure "bad guys" read that far

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Useful but there's a part of me which says some of my guests fulfil most (say 1,3 5 & 6) of these conditions and are the genuine article. Maybe I'm just too trusting?

I just had this expierenace today 11/02/19 I had a guest that asked to book 2 hours before arriving and I accepted, only to realized the next day because I don’t live in my this home I have a second home  but I do have a co-host that lives upstairs, and they she had told me that there was people coming in and out all night and all day the person requested another night and 3 hours later something happened and she left and I told her she couldn’t come back because she left and all these med started walking in and out I have 24/7 surveillance at my property, I found out when I got there that they were cooking crack cocaine in my house, when I went to start something up with Airbnb, she had such a ged her name and picture and everything piece of info that I can use, I remember her first name and what she looks like plus I have her on camera but I’m very upset over this whole thing and it’s making me realize that i’d rather work harder and pay the second mortgage myself then risk my home and the people in it 

That’s is so scary and frustrating! If it makes you feel any better, I say right on my listing description that i see all traffic in and out of my listing and will report any drug activity. Ever since then, I have had zero issues. That was over a year ago.  

Alba, it just happened to me too. I feel stupid and violated and unprotected by police and Airbnb. I don’t want to call too much attention to my place either because I rely on Airbnb for income and we all know how much cities hate short term rentals. 

Kari73
Level 2
Chico, CA

It just happened to me, for the second time. They trashed my house and it’s taken 3 days to clean, replacing rugs and pillows which they dowsed in fabreze as if it was going to cover the smells. I’m hoping Airbnb insurance will cover damages. 

Hi ,

Aitbnb won’t pay you a penny .Im sorry for what happened to you .The Guy used a fake name and they knew that I’m sure as the police couldn’t trace him .They wrecked my place and had all my TV and tools etc bagged up and ready to go .All the food from my fridge was thrown all over the floor .

Carole212
Level 2
Oakland, CA

If I suspect my guests are drug dealing, and they've broken several house rules, and I want them to leave, what should I do?  I told the guests they can't have 4 people stay when the max is 2, they can't come and go constantly (26 times in 5 hours til 2 am), etc. I've told Air BnB I don't feel safe, and I want them gone and I will give a partial refund, the amount of which depends on whether they depart without incident and whether my inspection of the property reveals all is in order. (I experienced this before unfortunately.) Will I still be paid the full amount? Another weird thing: they booked at the last minute and for 32 days, which I found out means they have tenants' rights after their stay ends. I'm afraid they won't leave.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As soon as you know your guest is breaking your house rules,  you can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking. If you do so, it's likely you won't be paid. @Carole212  (I am presuming here you asked the guest to pay for the additional guests and not to break your rules around night time noise and the guest hasn't done so).

Personally if guests turn up with additional guests on check in, I ask them to pay (if I have the space) if they refuse,  I would call Airbnb straight away rather than let them stay.

If you have tenants rights after 30 days, then you should set your listing not to accept bookings more than say 28 days.

If you feel your property is at risk, they won't pay for the additional people and are breaking your house rules around late night noise, call Airbnb and ask them to cancel, so you can hopefully get your place rebooked.

Hey Helen!

Thank you for a great reply! I agree that if guests show up with more than they booked for they should be asked to pay for the added guests. Also, great solution with only allowing bookings under 30 days. 

The issue I had was that Airbnb can't do much to help you if a guest is selling drugs from your home or if you feel threatened or afraid of them. I was told to call the police, which of course makes sense. But reporting to Airbnb will only result in them asking if you would like to cancel the guests stay. You are still tasked with getting the people out. It would be nice if you could opt out of any guests with recent criminal records. 

Michael5100
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi ,

Very good description.No face contact ,a person to “ protect “ them etc .My home was  wrecked by a drug party .Loads of people came and upset my neighbours kids  etc .

Airbnb refuses to pay for all the damage .My advice is unless you really don’t care about your property don’t put it on Airbnb 

Debby16
Level 2
Clatskanie, OR

What do you guys think of this one? I'm a guest rather than a host. Currently in a "tri-plex compound"in a city for a few weeks. I'm seeing guests clearly here to do their drugs. I saw one guest slip drugs to a visiting friend of the host. The visiting friend and the host are both in the main unit, "for the holidays". So obviously the host is in on it. So it's all around me now. How can I cut short my stay and get a partial refund when this activity will be impossible to prove? Are there no exit strategies here except to cut the loss and run?? Happy Xmas everyone! 😉

Robert5103
Level 1
Belton In Rutland, United Kingdom

Also look out for anomalies different name signing off messages. Profile picture with no faces, minimal profiles. No reviews. I'm booking for my.....,avoiding face to face. If concerned check your bins (carefully).