7 Tips For Hosting From A Cottage

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

7 Tips For Hosting From A Cottage

ffc22.jpg

We had a recent poll on what kind of space you host, the results of which surprised our mod, @Quincy. According to the poll, cottages are more popular than anyone expected! One of my personal favorite types of homes, I was asked if I would share a few tips on how to make the most of your cozy space as a host.

First, let's take a moment to define what a "cottage" is. Our converted one room schoolhouse is not your traditional cottage, yet it falls best into that category.

-A cottage is a small home, typically in a rural or waterfront location. In British English, a cottage is often linked to holidays and vacations as well as farm labor. In American vernacular, its more likely to bring to mind a small home or a particular style of shabby chic decor.
-The term cottage is often used interchangeably with cabin which is defined as a small dwelling made of wood or logs in a wild or rural location. Log cabins have a strong visual and are often associated with remote, "off the grid" experiences.
-Tiny houses are rather a new twist on both of these modestly sized dwellings and are typically less than 500 square feet. Tiny houses may be mobile (on wheels) or stationary and are crafted from a variety of materials often with an eye toward sustainability.

I would argue that all three of these categories fit under a broad "cottage" umbrella in that they signify that the guests will encounter an intimately sized, free-standing home. So how to maximize the experience in these modestly sized spaces? These are my thoughts and I would love to hear what other hosts think as well!

1. Play up the character. Cottages, cabins and tiny homes often have features that help them to stand out from the standard dwelling. In our particular case, our schoolhouse was erected in 1850 and converted to a residence in the 1930s. Built of solid stone that had to be dragged via mule sleds from local quarries, it certainly has a lot of quirks. Instead of trying to get our space to conform to an HGTV standard, we celebrate the unique features that speak to the handmade nature of our cottage. Have steep stairs? Gingerbread trim? Slightly off kilter floors? Reclaimed materials? Mention these things as a plus. Take pictures of the features that make your space different. That's the beauty of Airbnb after all-- the opportunity to experience an overwhelming diversity of spaces. So embrace what makes your cottage one of a kind!
  2. Decorate with intent. Choose your colors and furnishings carefully. In small spaces using a continuing color scheme throughout the entire house can make the home feel more cohesive and larger. Measure your sofas, dining tables and other large pieces to ensure they will fit with enough space to walk by comfortably. Use furnishings that are appropriate to the scale of the space. Consider durability and ease of cleaning when choosing your decor. Seek out small scale appliances and items that can be wall mounted instead of taking up valuable floor space. Don't forget things like light fixtures which can add tons of appeal, are useful and also difficult for guests to destroy!
  3. Consider your capacity carefully. The smaller the home, the lower your guest counts should be. My rule of thumb is that the capacity should not exceed the number of people who can comfortably sleep in the actual beds in my cottage. I do not count sofas nor air mattresses as sleeping spaces. In a cottage, cabin or tiny home, space is at a premium. I personally think its antithetical to a pleasant experience to try and pack the space with as many guests as can fit. Higher capacity also increases the wear and tear on an already elderly property and lowers the nightly price per guest (which often decreases the respect that guests have for the space.) So think about what makes sense for your diminutive dwelling, its plumbing, its parking, and your sanity.
  4. Do not neglect your outdoor spaces. As cottages, cabins and tiny houses are often found in rural locations, the great outdoors can be a big plus to attract guests to your listing. Features like a patio, fire pit, hot tub can be boons for bookings but may be expensive to install and require additional maintenance/safety concerns. Don't underestimate the value of lower cost items like string lights and pretty pollinator plants. If your listing is in an area with a natural feature like a great view, waterfront access, or hiking trails be sure that you make the most of those opportunities. Consider the approach to the space and the curb appeal. The drive in will be the first impression, so make sure the approach to your cottage is as welcoming as you can make it.
  5. Let your house guide shine. When you have a cute cottage, cozy cabin or tasteful tiny house, your house guide is your vehicle for introducing the space to your guests and giving the house its own personality. Emphasize the type of experience you hope to provide for guests. If your home is historic, give details of its past. Brand new and built for a purpose? Talk about your intent in creating this space. Name your cottage. Create a brand and use words in your guide that evoke specific feelings. Share pictures of before and after if you have made improvements. Write about your plans to restore, renovate or improve the space in the future. Add lists of where to find commonly asked-for items. Make your guide pretty and interesting reading. Use it to show that your space is loved and curated.
  6. Manage expectations from the beginning. If you are hosting in a unique space that is somewhat modest, you don't want to portray it as something it isn't. For example, our cottage is over 170 years old. It's NEVER going to be the Four Seasons. We shy away from words like "luxury" even though we do offer quite a few high-end amenities and our space is quite nice. Be selective in how you describe your space in your listing, and thoughtful about what guests should truly expect. Mention that you have wildlife around, or neighbors, or that guests may encounter insects. A floor plan is a great idea if you can add one to your listing. Under promise and over deliver is the way to go.
  7. Go big on the (little) personal touches. When guests book a cottage space, they are often looking for something authentic and different from their daily grind. Offer that in the way of the little "extras." Maybe its fresh eggs in the fridge from your chickens or a hand-written welcome note. Think about providing something small that is locally sourced, handmade or seasonally appropriate as a check-in treat. Do you have great fresh flowers that grow wild on your property? Fill a vase with them on the dining table.  Leave guides to star gazing or bird watching, or local flora and fauna. If you are a talented baker, homemade goodies can be an awesome treat (but just make sure that your guests don't have any allergies before you provide them.) Fill your shelves with your favorite books for guests to enjoy.  Collect old records from yard sales and create a music library with a record player. I have seen some hosts that even offer local artists work for sale in their space-- a great way to fill your walls with color AND help out some talented folks!
23 Replies 23

@Wende2 aw we would love to have you!  We will probably also be out your way again soon. I love visiting Easton, Cambridge and St Michaels. 

@Laura2592   I love St Michael's, Oxford use to be just as nice, not sure what happened to all the little shops tho.  The Robert Morris Inn had a nice revamp, I've heard the restaurant is really nice.  They have the ferry to Royal Oak that you can use to get to St Michael's, I had guests say they'll done that.  If you're in the area someday let's get together for lunch/dinner.

https://www.robertmorrisinn.com/

@Wende2 aw we would love to! I will talk to my husband about a weekend we can get down there. We just bought a place in New Orleans as a getaway ( I have a thread on my efforts to decorate in "Interests") so between that and our cottage, day jobs, crippled dog and online business,  we have to be super organized with our time lol.

@Laura2592   sounds like a very busy life, sorry to read crippled dog  =^(

I'll look at coming there, seems much easier that way.!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such an informative post @Laura2592! Thank you so much for sharing your tips here 😃.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

I totally agree with limiting guests with small space and one bathroom 

However found many guests are very very persistent in wanting to add more guests even though my listing clearly shows a limit  on the platform and in housing agreement 

Then of course there is the ‘can my friends camp in yard’ !!! 
Anyone else have this problem? 

Kym6
Level 4
Auckland, New Zealand

I have a small tiny house that was converted from a double garage. Long story short my partner and I converted the garage into a full one-bedroom unit for my daughter and her baby 17 yrs ago. Rented out to tenants for 11 years and then I started with Airbnb 5yrs ago. It's not flash but it comfortable.

I very much enjoy the hosting of guests from all around the world and locally.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we will expect from you new posts 🙂

Thank you for great information.

Our cabin at the rural area of Israel is wellcoming 5 people at most for comfortable acomodation.