72 hour window to file for a refund

72 hour window to file for a refund

If someone from the airbnb teams is reading this message. Please make sure to deliver this message to decision-makers. There was a policy update that literally states that guests have 72 hours to make a refund request. So since most stays are 1-2 days, this policy does not make any sense. We literally started to get a bunch of people who want to get a free stay using this policy. 

Just imagine yourself. You are a guest, you are checking in, seeing no issues for 2 days in a row and then on the third day, which is your last day, or your trip has finished, you request a refund and find out an issue. How does this make sense? How can you not see that issue on the first or second day of your stay? And see it at the end of your trip or after you check out?

15 Replies 15
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Airbnb really needed to be more clear about this policy change. Their choice of wording was unfortunate.

Airbnb didn’t mean that the guest now has 72 hours to report an issue. What they really meant is that the guest has 72 hours to report the issue TO AIRBNB. Not in Airbnb messaging, but actually calling Airbnb because they couldn’t get resolution from the host.

Guests are still expected to contact the host immediately with any issues. On Airbnb’s side, if a guest called them 3 days after a 2-day stay to request a refund due to an issue, I’m sure the first question would be “Did you attempt to resolve this issue with the host while you were there?”. If the guest hadn’t bothered to contact the host, I don’t think they would be entitled to any refund. Or, at least, that’s the way it is supposed to work.😏

All that policy change was attempting to do is to allow the hosts and guests more time to resolve issues. There were many cases in which it would take the host more than 24 hours to handle an issue (like to arrange appointments with plumbers and other maintenance folks). Guests were feeling like they had to phone Airbnb within 24 hours even if the host was working on the issue, or they might risk losing the chance for a refund in the event that the host didn’t resolve the problem satisfactorily. So this change actually gives hosts more time to handle problems before Airbnb gets involved.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Pat271 Perfectly explained and you are so right it was done to make sure there was plenty of time for resolution and all.

@AZ-Housing0 This policy was not intended to be something so guests could make up little somethings and file for refund 3 days later. Not at all, its major issues, like couldn't get into the place and couldn't reach host. No A/C when its clearly listed or a pool and no pool when guests arrive. Those biggy things. 

You are saying you are getting people wanting to get refunds using this....??? Please explain what you are talking about. thanks, Clara

I recently had a guest stay at my home and she decided after 10 days to ask for a $300 refund. Of course this is outside the window requesting this but this particular guest never reached out once to me in her state to claim that there was a hair on the bathroom floor and my sheets were not clean. As a super host I take great pride in my home. I even have a checklist after the cleaners leave. She also complained about air pollution from overhead planes due to our very small commuter airport that rarely has an action. It was upsetting to me again as a super host that her first line of review to me was my home was a bit rundown. I believe that Airbnb needs to do a better job when deciding whether a review like that can be put up even if it’s the guest opinion. Especially 90 other reviews say my home is great. I was super frustrated but in the end I so enjoy hosting airbnb and realized sometimes there are just those who are hard to please.

My gut says this is going to happen more often. Because of unclear explanation of policy. One thing is to give people to appeal after hosts denies them in 72 hours, which I believe this policy intended to do. Other thing is just to tell them that they can request a refund in 72 hours anytime they want after check in.

@Sarajane5 curious where's your listing??? Can't seem to find it??

You say you had a guest so that means you are a host - right? So I went to your profile to see your listing --- oops, there's no listing? 

strange

To clarify I’ve been a super host for four years. Sorry you are an able to locate my listing. It’s there. I have over 105 star reviews.

I couldn't find any listings either.

This happened to me too.

A guest wanted to leave after a week and claimed she got allergic all the sudden and had to leave.

Im allergic myself and i get allergic immedeately and not after one week.

Even though i’ve been using airbnb for years and have good reviews airbnb decided to give the guest right and they will charge me the money on my next booking. The guest had zero reviews.

So their new policy basically says that of you feel like cancelling your trip due to had weather or whatever you can just claim that you got allergic and you will get your money back.

My next booking is my last one with airbnb.

There are plenty of other ways to rent out, without fees!

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

This is a last message I got from support. This happened 2nd time now. In a same month.

@Catherine-Powell Catherine, how can any of the hosts believe in what you are telling us if you own staff ignore what you said?

You stated:

"The updated policy states: Before submitting a claim, whenever feasible, the guest must notify the Host and try to resolve the travel issue directly with their Host. If guests contact Community Support first, we remind them to reach out to the Host directly, so that you have an opportunity to resolve the issue."

Airbnb support stated per the above:

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

So, who is feeding us false information? Your "highly skilled, specialized Community Support team members who are experts on this policy" even though they can't put together a coherent sentence in English? Care to elaborate as to why Airbnb support ignores what you are telling the hosts and claims that there is no need to contact a host.  It's really very sad that Airbnb leadership lost credibility...  

Katarina184
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

This new rules are crazy. 
I’ve been using airbnb for years and never had a problem until now.

I had a guest who send me an email after one week(not a single complain during this time) claming she got allergic and had to leave and she wanted the money back for the days she booked but didnt want any more.

One other reason she brought up as a reason for the cashback is that she didnt like the beach.

The weather forecast said heavy rain for the rest of the week hmm hmm…

The guest claims she’s allergic to mold and thats the reason she got allergic.

This is an old wooden house thats breathes and is made of eco materials, there is’nt any mold guaranteed.

The funny part is that im allergic myself and i live there permanently without any problem.

When a enter a house i feel it immediately and not after a week.

My mother has Astma and never had a problem either.

None of my previous hundreds of guests had said anything either.

The reason i’ve been using airbnb is that it felt safe but thats not the case anymore.

There are plenty of other communities to use thats also cheaper.

I have multiple good reviews after all the years and the guest had none.

Im depending on the money that i make to be able to keep the house so now im very troubled.

Living with severe nervepain and not being able to work this is s catastrophy for me.

Gaylin2
Level 3
Arizona, United States

I'm trying to figure out what this would look like in real life... Let me put myself in my guest's shoes and imagine I just checked in, everything looks great, better than the pics, etc. I go get some groceries, take a walk along the creek, use the BBQ, watch a movie, go to bed. Wake up, take a shower, hike up the mountain, yada yada yada...  (because as of right now, this is what my guests do and all of my feedback/ratings have been good, thank you Lord!)

On the morning of my 3rd day, I wake up and just feel like I'm over it and want to go home NOW, rather than stay 2 more nights. So I start looking for a way to get out of my contract?? What would I do to make that happen all of a sudden?

Is this done in any other type of short term lodging?? If so, I'd like all my money back from my 7 day stay at the Hyatt in San Diego the other day. I wasn't thrilled with the "cleanliness" of their pool deck. 

Ella4855
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

This 72 hour policy opens a door to scamers, now I will not be comfortable  with any airbnb guest I am hosting, expecting they will  use this policy to stay for free at our unit.  As I have notice airbnb never protects hosts, and any guest who desires to get 3 days free stay now can use this policy. I discuss this with airbnb and was told that airbnb may take any money from me at any time without explanation. I had several guests who brought more guests that our res allow, stfrom the unit, trash the place, and receive minimal to none compensation from airbnb. Now we age going to have

scamers who will be staying for free. Looks like airbnb wants to use our properties as a hub for homeless or scammers.