72 hour window to file for a refund

in
California, United States
Level 3

If someone from the airbnb teams is reading this message. Please make sure to deliver this message to decision-makers. There was a policy update that literally states that guests have 72 hours to make a refund request. So since most stays are 1-2 days, this policy does not make any sense. We literally started to get a bunch of people who want to get a free stay using this policy. 

Just imagine yourself. You are a guest, you are checking in, seeing no issues for 2 days in a row and then on the third day, which is your last day, or your trip has finished, you request a refund and find out an issue. How does this make sense? How can you not see that issue on the first or second day of your stay? And see it at the end of your trip or after you check out?

9 Replies

Re: 72 hour window to file for a refund

in
Greenville, SC
Level 10

Airbnb really needed to be more clear about this policy change. Their choice of wording was unfortunate.

Airbnb didn’t mean that the guest now has 72 hours to report an issue. What they really meant is that the guest has 72 hours to report the issue TO AIRBNB. Not in Airbnb messaging, but actually calling Airbnb because they couldn’t get resolution from the host.

Guests are still expected to contact the host immediately with any issues. On Airbnb’s side, if a guest called them 3 days after a 2-day stay to request a refund due to an issue, I’m sure the first question would be “Did you attempt to resolve this issue with the host while you were there?”. If the guest hadn’t bothered to contact the host, I don’t think they would be entitled to any refund. Or, at least, that’s the way it is supposed to work.😏

All that policy change was attempting to do is to allow the hosts and guests more time to resolve issues. There were many cases in which it would take the host more than 24 hours to handle an issue (like to arrange appointments with plumbers and other maintenance folks). Guests were feeling like they had to phone Airbnb within 24 hours even if the host was working on the issue, or they might risk losing the chance for a refund in the event that the host didn’t resolve the problem satisfactorily. So this change actually gives hosts more time to handle problems before Airbnb gets involved.

in
Pensacola, FL
Level 10

@Pat271 Perfectly explained and you are so right it was done to make sure there was plenty of time for resolution and all.

@Cam26 This policy was not intended to be something so guests could make up little somethings and file for refund 3 days later. Not at all, its major issues, like couldn't get into the place and couldn't reach host. No A/C when its clearly listed or a pool and no pool when guests arrive. Those biggy things. 

You are saying you are getting people wanting to get refunds using this....??? Please explain what you are talking about. thanks, Clara

Level 1

I recently had a guest stay at my home and she decided after 10 days to ask for a $300 refund. Of course this is outside the window requesting this but this particular guest never reached out once to me in her state to claim that there was a hair on the bathroom floor and my sheets were not clean. As a super host I take great pride in my home. I even have a checklist after the cleaners leave. She also complained about air pollution from overhead planes due to our very small commuter airport that rarely has an action. It was upsetting to me again as a super host that her first line of review to me was my home was a bit rundown. I believe that Airbnb needs to do a better job when deciding whether a review like that can be put up even if it’s the guest opinion. Especially 90 other reviews say my home is great. I was super frustrated but in the end I so enjoy hosting airbnb and realized sometimes there are just those who are hard to please.

in
Level 3

My gut says this is going to happen more often. Because of unclear explanation of policy. One thing is to give people to appeal after hosts denies them in 72 hours, which I believe this policy intended to do. Other thing is just to tell them that they can request a refund in 72 hours anytime they want after check in.

in
Pensacola, FL
Level 10

@Sarajane5 curious where's your listing??? Can't seem to find it??

You say you had a guest so that means you are a host - right? So I went to your profile to see your listing --- oops, there's no listing? 

strange

Level 1

To clarify I’ve been a super host for four years. Sorry you are an able to locate my listing. It’s there. I have over 105 star reviews.

Level 1

in
Level 3

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-21 at 10.28.42 PM.jpegThis is a last message I got from support. This happened 2nd time now. In a same month.

Level 9

@Catherine-Powell Catherine, how can any of the hosts believe in what you are telling us if you own staff ignore what you said?

You stated:

"The updated policy states: Before submitting a claim, whenever feasible, the guest must notify the Host and try to resolve the travel issue directly with their Host. If guests contact Community Support first, we remind them to reach out to the Host directly, so that you have an opportunity to resolve the issue."

Airbnb support stated per the above:

Property2_0-1653307982452.jpeg

So, who is feeding us false information? Your "highly skilled, specialized Community Support team members who are experts on this policy" even though they can't put together a coherent sentence in English? Care to elaborate as to why Airbnb support ignores what you are telling the hosts and claims that there is no need to contact a host.  It's really very sad that Airbnb leadership lost credibility...