90 day limit London Submitting Planning Approval

Jody29
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

90 day limit London Submitting Planning Approval

Hi, like many hosts in London I am studying the new 90 day limit and trying to work out the best (legal) way of working within this new framwork. Back in December when AirBnB wrote to all hosts (see email titled Important information: Hosting in London sent on 1/12/2016), they made it clear that if hosts wanted to host 365 days a year they would be able to overcome the 90 day limit if they had the correct planning conscent i.e. short-let/holiday apartments. I have begun the process of this application to my local council (Haringey) and my planning consultant is quite assured that it will be granted. However, I cannot see anywhere on the AirBnB site where I can submit the planning approval, so that the 90 limit is lifted. Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Here is the relevant section from the email

"The new measures will begin from 2017. If you want to host more often, you will need to certify that you have permission to do so or apply for the relevant permissions from your local council."

Where can I "certify" then?

Any thoughts?

16 Replies 16
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Jody29

Probably the quickest and easiest way to find out, if they haven't given you a contact email,  would be to give them a call.

Mario149
Level 2
Naples, Italy

Hi Jodi. I'm an Italian host in London. I have read this morning about this bad news and onestly I did not get any mail on Airbnb on this regards. So I started looking for some more infos and I found this on Airbnb:

I have permission to host beyond 90 nights. How do I keep my listing open to bookings?

You'll be able to notify the system of your permission in spring 2017. No listings will be limited until the mechanism for providing this is communicated.

Sophie40
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Jody

I wondered if you could give me a little more information regarding your planning application? I visited my local council (Hackney) and they said that they thought it very unlikely that I would be granted permission for change of use - is that what you are applying for?

I have a 1 bedroom flat in a Victorian house which is split in to two. I really depend on the income from renting it all year around and am very worried about what I will do if I don't get planning permission so any advice you could pass on would be very greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Sophie

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sophie40

If you are dependent on the income all the year around, and can't get permission, just let it out as a standard long term let through an estate agent or directly yourself .

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sophie40

If you are dependent on the income all the year around, and can't get permission, just let it out as a standard long term let through an estate agent or directly yourself .

As you know there is a massive shortage of accomodation to rent in London (this is why this legislation was introduced), and Dalston is a popular area for rentals, so I'm sure you'll have no problems renting it out.

Sophie40
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Helen

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I have of course considered a long term rental but i know i would only get half the money i get from airbnb if i did a long term rental, which isn't enough for me to cover my mortgages. Additionally long term tenants tend to trash properties... as you can see, my apartment is all white and needs extremely regular cleaning and maintenance!

Hello Sophie,

I found your post and was wondering if you managed to get permission from Hackney Council in the end and what you had to do in order to get it.

I'm in your same position and I was hoping to find out what to do in order to be able to sublet my property in Hackney on airbnb for more than 90 days. Would be great to hear about your experience when you have a minute.

Thanks very much!

Roberta

Hi Sophie,

Hope this finds you well,
I am a fellow BnB host and new to it all. I just read your old post about obtaining a 'Planning Permit' from Hackney Council.

Like you, I have a 1 bedroom victorian conversion flat in, Hackney, London Fields, that has been divided into 2 properties with share of freehold.

Out of interest did you manage to get your Permit ? was it difficult?

I am now seeking to do the same but wanted a little advice... .would really appreciate your wisdom and any advice you could offer ?
Very best,
Stanley

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Most central London councils @Stanley-J0are unlikely to grant planning permission to extend STRs beyond the 90 day limit.

Stanley-J0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the info...
Deborah563
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I would like to know how this went ? Did you apply in the end? What did they say ?

Wagner5
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

where should I send the permission documents to? I can t find anywhere in the airbnb website to send it...

Antonella106
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi, 

you are quite lucky if you have had assurance from your local council that you will be granted a change of use.

I spoke this morning with K&C council and they told me that they "resist" any application for material change of use, i.e. they take your money for the application and then they reject it. When I spoke with them in Novemebr last year, before joining Airbnb, they gave me a completely different answer, and they let me believe it would be easy enough to get a change of use approved. If they had given me the info they gave me today I would have thought more before joining and making committments to guests.

From what I understand this is a law that only applies to Greater London. Doesn't this make my right to use my property as I see more convenient for me different from the rights of people that live in different parts of the country?

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE?

WHAT ARE THE OTHERS IN THIS SAME SITUATION DOING?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Albert51
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Can anyone provide some legal hints or a way to go about to get this plaaning permission. 

I am a resident in Cameden borough and they are very strict in this respect. thanks