A Breakdown of Airbnb Guest Fees: A Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

A Breakdown of Airbnb Guest Fees: A Community Help Guide

Recently, @Jeet0 asked how Airbnb Guest Fees work.  He has travelled as a guest and as a host.  Both as a guests and a host, the guest fee has been 12%.  

Airbnb has two articles which discuss on guest fees:

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/384/what-are-the-service-fees

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/104/what-are-guest-service-fees

In one of the articles it states, "Service fees for guests typically range between 6-12% but can be higher or lower depending on the specifics of the reservation. The higher the subtotal, the lower the percentage so you can save money when booking large reservations."

I have figured out the breakdown for those who may be interested.  The guest will be charged 12% if the total amount with the cleaning fee is less than $900.  It appears if the amount is $3300 or higher, the guest is charged at 6%.  ***Please note: This is a rough guide and does not include any currency converstion charges and was taken from my own listing amounts***

$900 = 11.4%

$1000 = 10.9%

$1100 = 10.4%

$1200 = 10.1 %

$1300 = 9.7%

$1400 = 9.4%

$1500 = 9.1 %

$1600 = 8.9%

$1700 = 8.6%

$1800 = 8.4%

$1900 = 8.2%

$2000 = 7.95%

$2100 = 7.8%

$2200 = 7.6%

$2300 = 7.4%

$2400 = 7.25%

$2500 = 7.1%

$2600 = 6.9%

$2700 = 6.75%

$2800 = 6.6%

$2900 = 6.45%

$3000 = 6.3%

$3100 = 6.15%

$3200 = 6.05%

$3300 = 6.00%

Anything higher than $3300 is charged at a 6% rate.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

18 Replies 18
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Thanks for this analysis! What I've observed varies a little from this. For example, the percentage fee seems to be based on the FULL rate amount, not the rate after the weekly/monthly discount is applied. That seems a bit sleazy on AirBnB's part. It also makes it harder to explain to a guest who sees a high service fee even after booking for an extended time.

I said that kind of backwards. What I meant to say is that the dollar amount (not the percentage) seemed to be calculated based on the full total, but at the percentage range for the lower total (meaning a higher percentage multiplier on the higher amount, not just a higher percentage of the lower amount).

Dede, Austin Tx.   WOW Level 10???

I can't figure out how to set my settings for the fees to be PER ROOM!  I have 2 BR but it only charges for one room.  I have a seperate common area for TV/eating/entertaining which I don't charge additionally for.  But I do want to add a cleaning fee per room & the W/D fee per room.  Any tips?    brooksinterior@gmail.com

I would consider making separate listing for each room.

List the rooms separately as individual listings.

Jarno0
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

dont use Airbnb then

Rosie10
Level 2
Craster, United Kingdom

Hi
My room charge is £80.00 per night. A 3 night booking has changed can't me up like this
3. X £80.00 £239

Can anyone explain why? Is it a mistake or some charge?
Thank you

It's a bank fee of $1 which goes to ABB. 

Dajana2
Level 1
Zagreb, Croatia

From my side I think that once guest see the price noone can change it during booking proces. Usually guest ask me why I increase the price and then my answer is "please ask the AirBNB " . It is not good for all of us and specialy not for AirBNB. I can't find the way how to contact AirBNB administration or responsable person . Think about this it is serious problem for us, host and guests.

regards

Dajana 

Linda501
Level 1
Stellenbosch, South Africa

I have received about 5 requests for a months's stay at a time....and the quote for a month is 1 day's rate.  No way that I can change the amount, so I just decline.  This is bad for my guesthouse with 6 rooms, and also for the guest requiring accommodation.  No one that I can contact to rectify this at all.  BAD!

Hi Linda,
It happened for me also (to have the quote for a month is 1 day's rate)... it's just a mistape from Airbnb.. the amonth charged and transfered is the montly rate !
Rgds,
Youssef

Did you ever get any resolve?  Airbnb customer contact service is RIDICULOUS!  I don't like not being able to talk to a person about issues.  

Hi Linda,

Edit your listing in the pricing. You can set a daily price, then a slightly reduced for weekly or monthly. Also, when guests books/inquires, you can give them special offer with message to explain details.

Hope this helps,

Deborah

Dajana, you are absolutely right. AirBnB makes it IMPOSSIBLE to talk to anyone of any importance. AirBnB would compete nicely in a competition for the WORST customer service ever.  Can't tell you how many times I've called them and got a person who didn't seem to know much about even the basics. I politely thank them, hang up and call again. Eventually you get a person who seems to be knowledgable, but has NO power or authority to pass you up the line or even to get someone else to look at your situation. They say they'll pass your case on, but either they don't or it's ignored. Look at the history of some high-profile cases of really serious matters that have made the news that were not handled well at all by AirBnB. 

Sure, we could just stop using them, but that's not the point. They should be better for what they're raking in. 

Years ago, I asked them to add just three words to the line of their programming code that listed "hot tub" as an amenity: "or steam room." Such a minuscule request, requiring hardly any effort on AirBnB's part (just find that line of code and add the 3 words). Well, I supposedly did get passed up the line, and someone who passed himself off as a supervisor sympathized with me, even saying, "You're right. People in the south have hot tubs, people in the north have steam rooms. It would be a great incentive for someone to rent your place if steam room was in the list of ameneties."He claimed they'd make the change, but of course nothing happened.

For months, I followed up every 2 weeks before giving up. It wouldn't be so hard to swallow if they didn't go on and on about how much they care for their hosts and do everything they can to support them. 

Seems to me they're only interested in big dollar signs. I don't want to quit them, but it sure would be nice if they'd use some of that daily fortune they rake in to provide better service.