A CAUTIONARY TALE FROM A STUPID HOST.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

A CAUTIONARY TALE FROM A STUPID HOST.

Before I begin it should be established that there is no financial gain in booking with us direct or booking via BNB. I am not a company man, we have two listings on BNB and two lodges that are direct bookings only. Here begins the tale, three weeks ago we took a direct booking from a family that wished to stay for a weekend, Friday to Monday, two adaults and two children (travel cot required). One of the questions we ask when booking direct is "how did you find us" and they replied " on AIRBNB" it didnt register with me why would someone answer the way they did, then book direct when there is no financial insentive to do so.  My big mistake!!!!!!!! I will not go into the detail because I know you have all heard it many times before but it took over 12 hours to clean the lodge after they left!!!!! If they had booked via BNB I would have been able to see other hosts reviews which I am willing to bet would have advised not to take this family, however they booked direct!!!!  It has taught me a lesson that I will not forget, our review process as hosts is not ideal but atleast it can advise about the people you do not wish to host at you establishment!!!!

15 Replies 15
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Shaun

The benefit of direct bookings is you control the deposit and would quite simply charge them an extra cleaning fee, you also have a home address to take them to court if need be.

We hear many times on the forum that hosts will give a positive review or no review to bad guests.

ps. the guests incentive to book direct is saving the 15% service fee

correct, If I have a bad guest, I do not rate them for fear of a bad review.. and I know that others do the same. 

@Deb125 you know that the guest cannot see your review of them before reviewing you, right? Please consider changing this practise to help other hosts. Thank you!

oh is that right? good to know....I didn't know that. Twice i have given a better review than i would/shouild have,but for fear of them retaliating with a bad review of me.  Didn't work out well at all anyway, stupid female jerk docked me a whole star because it was "hard to find' (the door is 25 feet from the main highway) and docked me a whole star on :cleanliness' because there was an unsealed gallon of distilled water in the fridge that i use to refill the ice cube trays in the freezer. Glad to learn this.

They can still see the review, and re-review you.. and Airbnb will not remove ANY reviews, for any reason.. makes it difficult for hosts. Some reviews are spot on, others are people that are just looking for refunds in any shape or form, because they're just cheap, unethical, and could care less about your place.  No one asks for discounts on the airlines or rental cars.. so why does Airbnb tell you to lower your rates.. The computer can't seem to differentiate between studios, one or two bedroom accomodations.  

@Deb125 what do you mean "They can still see the review, and re-review you"?

That is the opposite of everything Airbnb has said about how the review policy works.

Airbnb will not let you see the guests review until you review them, for a specific period of time.  Do you think that if a guest gets a bad review, they won't know where its from? You have no idea whether or not a guest has given you a review,  or not,  until you submit a review.  Not many people take several vacations in a year..  Why can't I see a review without giving one? Seems lopsided to me. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

As Jeff said - if someone books directly next time be sure to take a security deposit in cash and take their photo Id ! It is waaaay better then through Airbnb. 

Exactly, cash deposit trumps airbnb reviews every time.

If Mr Guest had a few duff reviews, all he does is get Mrs Guest to book instead with a clean slate.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I have only booked guests outside of Airbnb system on two occasions.  Both times, the guests were referred by persons I know.  I visited with these guests well in advance of check-in to review house rules.   Booking direct did save the guests the service fees charged by Airbnb.  

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Maybe not - Airbnb guests are equally able to destroy property and may not have reviews etc. the learning is more like need to always meet and monitor guests....

Sally4
Level 6
Snoqualmie Pass, WA

I book exclusivley through Air BnB. They have brand recognition, and a platform that people gravitate towards.  (Not a perfect platform, granted) They charge a fee, but that is called business.  I simply considering an advertising expense.

The guest review system is flawed by hosts that fear retaliation, when the format is designed to prevent retaliation. That is too bad, but the possibility of a bad review does help, some.  

But there is also a format for restitutuion that I have sucefully used with my guests.  Never for anything big, but it has worked well for us.

And there is also the security deposit, which every hotel I have stayed at also requires. It would also allow for expense recovery as well.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Shaun69

Oscar Wilde once said to a woman seated next to him at a dinner party....

"Would you sleep with me for 1,000 pounds"?

The woman thought for a while and said "Well yes, maybe"!

He then said to her.....

"Well what if I asked you to sleep with me for 10 pounds"?

"Good heavens", she said, "What sort of woman do you think I am"!

He said, "Madam, I have already established what sort of woman you are, we are mearly haggling over the price"! 

Shaun, as soon as an inquiry came to me from a prospective guest who wished to bypass ABB and book outside the Airbnb system I would decline their request.

Shaun, if someone comes to you through the Airbnb system you are an Airbnb host of principals and honour that....or you do your own thing and become a hosting tart!

I host guests from platforms not associated with Airbnb, but I always honour Airbnb's business!

Cheers......Rob

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

Oscar Wilde has had many quotes attributed to him over the years but none have been delivered with such elegance and poise!

Thanks Shaun