A Narrow Escape

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A Narrow Escape

Every now and then, you get a guest who seems impossible to please and you wished you had never accepted the booking. Most often these guests have really not read the listing properly and come with some very random expectations which have nothing to do with how you have described it. How do you avoid these guests as they often come with a polite and friendly introduction and a bunch of great reviews?

Having been stung by a particularly rude, unpleasant and incredibly demanding couple a few months back, I'm trying to spot the red flags whenever I can and put more time into doing the research, especially reading the reviews the guest has left for others.

Yesterday I got a polite enquiry from a lady with four very positive reviews. However, the fifth one said, "She respected my house rules, was easy to communicate with, but she was not so friendly and a bit intolerant." So, of course I looked for the review she had left for this host, only to find an essay of complaints. She even got cut off mid sentence because she had gone over the word count!

To summarise only a few of the points made:

• There were a lot of steep steps from the road to the beach villa, the beach was busy when it was sunny, it was expensive to hire beach chairs etc. etc.
  • It was quiet at night but there was some noise during the day (three hours on one day from a local boat shop and on another day noise from a nearby church being renovated).
  • The villa is small. Thought it was overpriced.
  • Could have used more towels because they were there for 3-4 days. There were wine glasses in the kitchenette, but they had to buy their own wine.

Next, I checked out the host, who is a superhost with lots of excellent reviews, and a very clear listing that describes a small villa. Plus, I think it's probably obvious that if you book somewhere in one of the most expensive parts of Italy in high season, it's going to be "pricey" and busy. I have visited this area and you have to climb steep steps wherever you stay. That's just the geography of the place. The only mistake the host made in terms of accuracy was including a bottle of wine in the photos!

The next reviews were a bit more positive but also very detailed and even when she liked a place, she seemed to need to find fault:

- There’s no lift to the apartment, but three flights of stairs, bathroom is small, shower in the bath but no separate shower, it was busy/noisy, but okay, that’s Naples.

- There is a elevator but the location is still noisy. Couldn't use the fireplace so it was a bit chilly (really, you need heating in Southern Italy in the Summer?), there was a very small problem with the hot tub (she declined the host’s offer to fix it the same day), and on and on until she gets cut off by the word count again!

I even went as far as to look at the listings on the guest's London Wishlist. They were all fancy, in very central, expensive areas of London. I knew that this guest was not going to like my 'small' bedroom, up three flights of stairs, facing a busy road, in a well connected, but less central and not posh part of the city. So, I sent her a polite response explaining that I didn't think my listing was a good fit for her based on the above.

Today she responded with a long lecture and told me "I'm not sure its appropriate to assume someone is not suitable based on one review." She went into further complaints about the listing in Capri, saying they had booked a private beach and got a public one. Well, the listing doesn't say anything about a private beach. It says the villa has private access from the beach (which is clearly shown as busy in the photos). She had obviously seen the words "private" and "beach" in the same sentence and jumped to her own conclusions.

Now this seems like a lot of research for me to go through for one enquiry, but I feel so grateful that I did. I feel like I have dodged a bullet with this one!

It would be interesting to hear from others as to what level of research you go into before accepting a guest.

94 Replies 94
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 @Sammy35 

Maybe I should just watch it with the sound off! I would watch an otherwise not so great film if it had great set and costume design, as that's something I'm interested in both professionally and personally. I can quite easily switch off from what's going on and focus on those things. That's why, if a movie is interesting in other ways, I need to watch it twice (the second time for the sets/costumes).

People often don't seem to 'get' some of the films I like either, but at the moment, I'm having a Wes Anderson moment (ticks every box for me) and people seem to get him at least! A few months back, I introduced a guest to him via The Grand Budapest Hotel. He had never heard of Wes Anderson, but enjoyed it so much that we had to watch The Darjeeling Limited the following night (with an Indian take out of course).

@Huma0  I'm going to come to London and book with you so we can watch Darjeeling Limited together.  😂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

You must! My local Indian takeaway is also excellent. The guest I mentioned above became obsessed with it and decided to stop going to the supermarket and live on Indian take out instead, literally. I could not persuade him to maybe try something else!

@Huma0 @Ann72  Also one of my favorite movies, Darjeeling Limited. And one thig I really miss in Mexico is Indian food, which is my favorite cuisine. There are Indian restaurants in Mexico, but none in my area.

@Huma0  Watching with the sound off would be even worse- great sets and costumes don't figure into that movie. Most of it takes place in their hotel room.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

You guys are really not selling it to me. Also don't want to revisit memories of that HORRIBLE couple. Oh god. They were too miserable for words. I've had some strange hosting experiences, but am definitely not used to being screamed at because a hallway light wasn't already switched on when they got home.

I can re-watch moves like Darjeeling Ltd and Grand Budapest Hotel until the cows come home. Every time, I notice some little detail that I missed before. And they just make me laugh so much.

ba9a34624875544c37d23cb794813bbe.jpg