A Narrow Escape

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A Narrow Escape

Every now and then, you get a guest who seems impossible to please and you wished you had never accepted the booking. Most often these guests have really not read the listing properly and come with some very random expectations which have nothing to do with how you have described it. How do you avoid these guests as they often come with a polite and friendly introduction and a bunch of great reviews?

Having been stung by a particularly rude, unpleasant and incredibly demanding couple a few months back, I'm trying to spot the red flags whenever I can and put more time into doing the research, especially reading the reviews the guest has left for others.

Yesterday I got a polite enquiry from a lady with four very positive reviews. However, the fifth one said, "She respected my house rules, was easy to communicate with, but she was not so friendly and a bit intolerant." So, of course I looked for the review she had left for this host, only to find an essay of complaints. She even got cut off mid sentence because she had gone over the word count!

To summarise only a few of the points made:

• There were a lot of steep steps from the road to the beach villa, the beach was busy when it was sunny, it was expensive to hire beach chairs etc. etc.
  • It was quiet at night but there was some noise during the day (three hours on one day from a local boat shop and on another day noise from a nearby church being renovated).
  • The villa is small. Thought it was overpriced.
  • Could have used more towels because they were there for 3-4 days. There were wine glasses in the kitchenette, but they had to buy their own wine.

Next, I checked out the host, who is a superhost with lots of excellent reviews, and a very clear listing that describes a small villa. Plus, I think it's probably obvious that if you book somewhere in one of the most expensive parts of Italy in high season, it's going to be "pricey" and busy. I have visited this area and you have to climb steep steps wherever you stay. That's just the geography of the place. The only mistake the host made in terms of accuracy was including a bottle of wine in the photos!

The next reviews were a bit more positive but also very detailed and even when she liked a place, she seemed to need to find fault:

- There’s no lift to the apartment, but three flights of stairs, bathroom is small, shower in the bath but no separate shower, it was busy/noisy, but okay, that’s Naples.

- There is a elevator but the location is still noisy. Couldn't use the fireplace so it was a bit chilly (really, you need heating in Southern Italy in the Summer?), there was a very small problem with the hot tub (she declined the host’s offer to fix it the same day), and on and on until she gets cut off by the word count again!

I even went as far as to look at the listings on the guest's London Wishlist. They were all fancy, in very central, expensive areas of London. I knew that this guest was not going to like my 'small' bedroom, up three flights of stairs, facing a busy road, in a well connected, but less central and not posh part of the city. So, I sent her a polite response explaining that I didn't think my listing was a good fit for her based on the above.

Today she responded with a long lecture and told me "I'm not sure its appropriate to assume someone is not suitable based on one review." She went into further complaints about the listing in Capri, saying they had booked a private beach and got a public one. Well, the listing doesn't say anything about a private beach. It says the villa has private access from the beach (which is clearly shown as busy in the photos). She had obviously seen the words "private" and "beach" in the same sentence and jumped to her own conclusions.

Now this seems like a lot of research for me to go through for one enquiry, but I feel so grateful that I did. I feel like I have dodged a bullet with this one!

It would be interesting to hear from others as to what level of research you go into before accepting a guest.

94 Replies 94

@Huma0

I have so many first time users that only now and then I have to look at the reviews of a guest with 5 stars usually shown. But twice I did it with great care as these guests were making request for a longer stay.

And I looked at their reviews mainly because they were not only guests, but hosts as well. They rented terrible properties - with many complaints, the first one I accepted, the second - did not, and I still regret for that. The first one left me very good review - and so did I, although she was a bit over demanding, but people are different - so I was glad I accepted her.

I still wonder did I make a great mistake refusing the request from the second host - I think, I did as he wanted to book all four low bookings months - I lost money, and in that case that was me who was over demanding, I did not allow him the 30% off he asked me for, and now I do not have any bookings even at 50% off... Well, London is not an exotic island, but our capital is not London...

If I were you - perhaps I would have written her that she should expect to travel ...time to Picadilly circus, and she has to climb stairs at the flat, and that I will be glad to have her as my guest...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lilly28of course it is painful to lose such a long booking during low season. Many hosts will say never accept a guest who asks for a discount, because they are bound to be trouble. I'm not sure if that's always true. If someone is staying four months, it's a lot of money to shell out, so perhaps it's reasonable for them to ask for a discount. I don't know.

My situation is a bit different. This lady wanted to book a three night stay during a peak season. If the listing doesn't get booked for those days I really don't mind. I guess I am lucky in that my rooms are rarely empty even for a couple of days. In the beginning, I thought I had to take every booking I could get, but now I've realised that I really don't. I also don't need nightmare guests making my Christmas miserable.

What bothered me about this guest was not just that she didn't like stairs or noise or complained in general about location, it was that the issues were mostly caused by her failure to understand the listings or research the locations - not just the specific location of the listing, but location in general. Capri is expensive? Naples is noisy? REALLY?!! She dreamt up a private beach when it doesn't exist and then punished the host for her own naivety. 

More importantly, even when she apparently liked a place, she would find numerous petty things to complain about, many of which were clearly out of the host's control. No matter how clear I was to her about the stairs, location, whatever, she would have found SOMETHING else to complain about.

Her initial message asked a couple of questions, like did I have a Christmas tree because it's her first visit to London and she wants it to be "very special". Okay, sounds harmless enough. However, it could also be read as, "You better make sure everything is perfect for me and meets all my lofty expectations."

Is that an unfair assumption? After I read the reviews she left for other hosts, no, I really don't thinks so! The details I gave above about those are the tip of the iceburg. The post was already long enough so I couldn't include her full litany of petty complaints about the places she had stayed in.

@Huma0 I suspect she would also have expected that Xmas tree to be decorated to her taste with a bunch of beautifully wrapped presents for her under it to make it all "very special".

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977

Lol, I'm just imagining her now unwrapping all the presents for my family that I've left under the tree!

It reminds me that often guests seem to forget that this is my home and that I live here. I've had guests thank me for leaving an umbrella out for them, not realising that they took MY umbrella, or say it was thoughtful of me to leave a kettle for them to make tea, as if I wouldn't have a kettle in my own kitchen otherwise! Of course I don't correct them and I guess that's kind of cute, but it does make you wonder...

@Huma0, you make me laugh about the kettle! But consider an umbrella that stands out that you can leave and tag “guest use”. Then yours remains yours!

Here in Darwin, we are either hot and dry, or hot and wet! I have umbrellas that are golf size to deal with the heavy rains, as most people hire rental vehicles and are not walking. The choice of large umbrellas is also strategic. A brolly that folds or collapses, can too easily be pocketed and not make its way back to me at the end of the stay. Rigid umbrellas can always be sighted when packing for the airport, and too large for a suitcase!

For me if out and about, I always choose to walk with a purpose and steady stride. But I also choose to not tempt fate by choosing ill lit streets or isolated areas in the dark. I think it’s a good fear to have. Assess the situation and respond accordingly. Sometimes I make eye contact, but it must be neutral and forceful - mild friendly, but never antagonistic. But if a group, I have been known to choose the other side of the road. It’s about being aware of your surroundings, not just in the immediate zone. Something that can’t  happen if all the attention is being focussed on the mobile. If you wear headphones, always only use one in a public space, so you are still alert to noises and your surroundings. If you wear expensive jewellery, turn your rings around. Don’t look worth a mugging!  🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 

I also have an umbrella stand near the door with a few of the large brollies. Still, people seem to want to take my small one instead. Oh well. I have given up buying nice looking ones as they all go missing.

The point you make about isolated areas is a good one. I would always prefer to walk on a busy street than down an empty one. That is why I think my location is pretty safe and nothing bad has ever happened to me here.

I live on the A3, one of the key routes in and out of the city/financial district. At rush hour it is busy, but there are more cyclists than anything else. At night, it is not hectic at all and I'm not right next to any cafes or shops, but there are plenty a very short walk away. There are always cars and pedestrians passing by. It would be a pretty stupid spot for someone to to try anything dodgy, which I guess is nothing bad has happened to me, nor any of my former housemates or guests.

That's the point I was making re perception v reality. I have guests who arrive here and immediately ask me, "Is it safe to walk around here?" and I know straight away I'm going to get bashed on location.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lilly

I have already received a booking from another guest for the same dates. This time, not only does the guest have lovely reviews, but has left lovely ones for her hosts (I could see this straight away thanks to the AirReview extension that was mentioned earlier).

I could be wrong, but I feel much more confident about this guest, who seems like a glass half full, rather than half empty sort of person. The three reviews she left for previous hosts read:

The place is really nicely decorated, with a clean bathroom and kitchen, has everything I need. It is close to the underground station with just approx 5 min walking. Danica is helpful and responds to my inquiries very quickly. Plus, the cat is really lovely. Sounds EXACTLY like my place, except that I have three cats and three bathrooms! This guest seems like a good fit.

A cozy and tidy room for female. Tesco is right around the corner and it is convenient if you need something. The place is not really far from city centre, while you can enjoy a moment of quietness at night. Sana has been really thoughtful and helpful during my stay. She advised some of the restaurants nearby to me when I had no ideas. Again, sounds just like my place, with Tesco around the corner, not far from the centre and the kind of hosting I provide, except that the room is BIG.

- The place is close to the station, and is highly accessible. You can find everything you need nearby. Friedrich is very nice and flexible that he allows me to early checkin. Detailed guide on how to walk from the station, and clear instructions for the access to the room. Again, like my place, except that I can't offer an early check in on that particular day. However, the guest's intitial message said she understood early check in wasn't possible, so could I forward her the links to the left luggage services. This guest has READ MY LISTING and accepts my rules. Hurray!

Sometimes it's worth holding out for the good ones. However, I do understand that is difficult in less busy areas and especially in low season.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

More great advice from Huma ( on my "if I won the lottery"wish  list) I had a next day instant booking that came in at 11:55 the night before and the guest had a 3* rating from a previous host. Yikes!  All nerves I started researching and soon realized that the host was unrealistic and possibly racist- a full single garbage bin for a 2 family 5 day stay doesn't seem that dire, really.  The guest had their booking cancel and was desparate for someplace to stay the night before their flight to China. A perfectly lovely family and deserved the 5* rating I gave them. A really bad guest on a long stay would be such an ordeal, and a truly awful guest might leave you out of pocket and out of your mind!  I hope your luck changes and a great guest arrives on your doorstep, sally

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sally221

Thank you!

Yes, you are right. One bad review from a host doesn't necessarily equal a bad guest. Hosts aren't all perfect and can be pretty unreasonable and over critical too.

Several times now I have accepted guests who have a bad review and, sometimes, that's the only review they have. In those cases, I always look at the review they left for the host to get both sides of the story. I also look at the other reviews the host has received and the reviews the host left for other guests. Often it then becomes apparent that it is the host who is the one with 'issues', not the guest.

I have also asked potential guests about a bad review if they have one. It's a bit awkward, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they have a reasonable explanation. Most times it's worked out fine. A couple of times, I've realised what the other host was on about (usually something to do with cleanliness or ignoring check in/out times), but it's not been so bad.

On this particular occasion, it was not just the one less than stellar review that worried me. It was much more down to the review she had left for the host and also the reviews she had left for other hosts. You could hear the alarm bells ringing on the other side of town!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Huma0, thank you so much for this post! I never actually considered reading the reviews that guests have left previous hosts and I agree that it would often be much more telling than the reviews that have been left for them! Such a good idea, especially now that we are holding on to our good ratings by the skin of our teeth and one bad review, even if totally unjustified, can make us lose our Superhost status. And I think you were totally justified in declining her booking request - Christmas tree, really? She sounds like one demanding and problematic guest...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kath9

Thank you! To be honest, I normally only read the reviews that guests leave for hosts if that host had left the guest a bad review (to get both sides of the story). That is what happened with this lady. She had one less than glowing review, so I wanted to find out more.

When I read her review for the host, that was much more troubling. It really put me off the guest, rather than the Airbnb she was complaining about (especially when I looked at the listing and could see she was being really unfair). That's what prompted me to read the other reviews she had left and those were scary too!

This guest really reminded me of the awful couple I mentioned before. They had great reviews and lots of them, so I never bothered reading the reviews they had written until they had stayed and made my life miserable for eight days. Had I read these beforehand, it might have made me think twice about accepting those guests. There weren't so many red flags, but there were some. Of course, this is all in hindsight.

So, I really think it's worth taking the time to look if you can. People often mention on the forums how they hosted someone who told them everything was fine, they gave the guest a nice review and all five stars, and then discovered the guest had left them a review full of complaints and low star ratings. So, just because the guest has only positive reviews on their profile, that doesn't mean they don't leave unpleasant reviews for their hosts.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh and @Kath9, I do have a Christmas tree and personally I am quite proud of it and think it's super pretty. I have worked as a stylist for years, so I carefully select my decorations and make sure that everything about that tree looks 'just so'. I spend hours obsessively arranging it all and then I still can't help but adjust a bauble here or there every time I pass by it!

Still, I didn't tell the guest any of that. I just politely told her that I didn't think my listing was suitable for her requirements. Maybe she would have found something wrong with my Christmas tree. Maybe not. But she would have found something (or more likely several things) wrong with my listing and made sure to mention every one in minute detail in her review.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The general info on reading guest reviews for others above should be collected and added to a periodic "FAQ" post about screening guests / guest flags.

(Why can't ABB do this for us?  Oh yeah,   gross incompetence and mismanagment.)

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kenneth12

Actually, I don't think it's necessarily incompetence or mismanagement. I think it's because AIRBNB don't want us to screen guests. They want us to accept as many bookings as possible, which is why they push Instant Book, prompt us to lower our prices and require guests to fill in minimal info on their profiles.

Personally, I think it should be compulsory for guests to fill in a few short lines of info for their profiles before they can activate them and make any bookings. At the very least...

ABB clearly needs to make certain metrics to sustain their capital investment.

That said,   I think a look over the employer rating sites,  shows a series of tales that show a quite typical disarray.    ABB just hasn't grown up,   a problem common to startups in the Bay Area.

What does ABB want WRT guest screening?  Who knows?   It's not clear who is in charge over there,   or if anyone is in charge.   

We are agreed on compulsory profiles and likely much else.   Seems to me that there are a lot of people with problems on the forum right now,  as well as a lot of wisdom that could be curated and boiled down.