A Narrow Escape

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A Narrow Escape

Every now and then, you get a guest who seems impossible to please and you wished you had never accepted the booking. Most often these guests have really not read the listing properly and come with some very random expectations which have nothing to do with how you have described it. How do you avoid these guests as they often come with a polite and friendly introduction and a bunch of great reviews?

Having been stung by a particularly rude, unpleasant and incredibly demanding couple a few months back, I'm trying to spot the red flags whenever I can and put more time into doing the research, especially reading the reviews the guest has left for others.

Yesterday I got a polite enquiry from a lady with four very positive reviews. However, the fifth one said, "She respected my house rules, was easy to communicate with, but she was not so friendly and a bit intolerant." So, of course I looked for the review she had left for this host, only to find an essay of complaints. She even got cut off mid sentence because she had gone over the word count!

To summarise only a few of the points made:

• There were a lot of steep steps from the road to the beach villa, the beach was busy when it was sunny, it was expensive to hire beach chairs etc. etc.
  • It was quiet at night but there was some noise during the day (three hours on one day from a local boat shop and on another day noise from a nearby church being renovated).
  • The villa is small. Thought it was overpriced.
  • Could have used more towels because they were there for 3-4 days. There were wine glasses in the kitchenette, but they had to buy their own wine.

Next, I checked out the host, who is a superhost with lots of excellent reviews, and a very clear listing that describes a small villa. Plus, I think it's probably obvious that if you book somewhere in one of the most expensive parts of Italy in high season, it's going to be "pricey" and busy. I have visited this area and you have to climb steep steps wherever you stay. That's just the geography of the place. The only mistake the host made in terms of accuracy was including a bottle of wine in the photos!

The next reviews were a bit more positive but also very detailed and even when she liked a place, she seemed to need to find fault:

- There’s no lift to the apartment, but three flights of stairs, bathroom is small, shower in the bath but no separate shower, it was busy/noisy, but okay, that’s Naples.

- There is a elevator but the location is still noisy. Couldn't use the fireplace so it was a bit chilly (really, you need heating in Southern Italy in the Summer?), there was a very small problem with the hot tub (she declined the host’s offer to fix it the same day), and on and on until she gets cut off by the word count again!

I even went as far as to look at the listings on the guest's London Wishlist. They were all fancy, in very central, expensive areas of London. I knew that this guest was not going to like my 'small' bedroom, up three flights of stairs, facing a busy road, in a well connected, but less central and not posh part of the city. So, I sent her a polite response explaining that I didn't think my listing was a good fit for her based on the above.

Today she responded with a long lecture and told me "I'm not sure its appropriate to assume someone is not suitable based on one review." She went into further complaints about the listing in Capri, saying they had booked a private beach and got a public one. Well, the listing doesn't say anything about a private beach. It says the villa has private access from the beach (which is clearly shown as busy in the photos). She had obviously seen the words "private" and "beach" in the same sentence and jumped to her own conclusions.

Now this seems like a lot of research for me to go through for one enquiry, but I feel so grateful that I did. I feel like I have dodged a bullet with this one!

It would be interesting to hear from others as to what level of research you go into before accepting a guest.

94 Replies 94
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kenneth12

I don't disagree that there is probably some disarray going on. Most likely there is. I am sure you knpw more about it than me. I just think even if there wasn't any disarray, Airbnb would still not want to encourage hosts to screen and decline guests. That is why they fairly recently introduced the whole Acceptance Rate criteria.

Before, it didn't matter how many requests you turned down. Now, you apparently have to accept 88% to stay on the platform. Of course, this is not true in reality. Not yet anyway. One of my listings has been below 88% for months. I get a little warning exclamation mark on my dashboard, but nothing else. Still, it's a fairly effective tactic for Airbnb to use to get hosts to accept more bookings, including those they might have preferred to decline previously. 

Don't know if you have tried a web search on Airbnb recently, but they are now doing everything by base price (without cleaning fee) which it an utter mess.

Everything shows up <$100 but is much more when you look at details.

How can you run a travel booking site like that ?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pete28 

I haven't done a search lately, but I did hear about that on the forums. It doesn't make much sense to me either from a host's perspective, or a guest's. I don't charge a cleaning fee, so I really feel it puts me at a disadvantage. Guests will be comparing my place to others with cleaning fees, thinking they are around the same price, but if you're on a short stay, e.g. two nights, that cleaning fee can make a big difference to the total.

I hope Airbnb will change this back to how it was. If not, I will have to think about dropping my prices and adding a cleaning fee to stay in the game...

@Huma0

I would reduce base and add a cleaning fee - assuming the uk is showing only base price on map etc (I looked a while back).

It's a paradox that to find low prices the guest would have to actually increase the search price if you don't have a cleaning fee 😞

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Huma0

I use AirReview but have learned my lesson to double check guests when they book months in advance. I had a guest book 6 months in advance with several one line reviews from international trips. Closer to his check in date, I checked his reviews again and he had done quiet a bit more traveling and had racked up several negative reviews. I contacted his most recent host to ask for more details. I decided to keep the booking because I didn't want to risk being dinged for canceling. I let him know that "it looked like he had recently had a rough patch with AirBnB and I hope that he has a better experience with our place". He didn't. Stains all over the sheets, duvet, mattress pad(s), shower curtain, shower curtian liner.

Side note-we book 6 months in advance so we end up booking a lot of summer and fall wedding guests

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emily487

That's a very good point! I also sometimes get bookings months and months in advance.

By the way, how do you contact previous hosts? I have tried this before and it seemed the only way to do it was to send a booking enquiry, but the hosts I wanted to ask had no dates available, so I couldn't even do that.

@Huma0  

@Letti0 recommended sending it as an enquiry and that is what worked for me. 

I suppose you could send a private message on this community board if you managed to find them but who knows if they would even log in to check!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Emily487

I think it is very hard to track someone down in the Community Forums unless they are one of the more active members and so many hosts don't use the forums at all.

I will try again in future to send an enquiry in a similar situation. It hasn't worked so far because the host's calendar has not shown any available dates and you can't send the enquiry unless you select available dates. I think it's sometimes because the host isn't using Airbnb anymore or is taking a break. Lots of people dip in and out of it and many try it and discover it is not for them!

@Huma0 Here my best example.

The guest (I declined) tried to book with me.

HE got PERFECT ALL 5***** reviews 

ME:

I looked up some of your reviews (you wrote about your past stays) and you are complaining in almost all of them (5 star rated places). Sorry, I cant accept your booking request.

PxxE:     :-0

Of all my reviews, I gave 6 five stars, 12x 4 stars, 3x three stars, 1x two stars and 1x one star. My reviews are fair and honest. I understand you select your guests who only give 5 stars. I am shocked by this policy and I don't see why I should suffer an unpleasant email from your part. Even if I doubt it will do anything I will report this attitude to Airbnb.

ME:

I 100% get your point that you "TRY" to be "honest" but
yes, you probably read through description and reviews of homes, you surely book only places with high ratings (and as your own statement YOU rated 6 out of 21 homes  5-stars).

I also read through as many info as possible to get a picture of my guests. 

And NO, I'm not able to see how many stars a guest gave to another host.

I also want to be "honest":
My apartment is of cause not perfect for everyone, I just want to avoid that you hurt your knees by looking through my house all night to find a hair I missed out to clean.

PxxE:

I am pleased to see you have time to lose, what an efficient and smart way of dealing with your Airbnb listing. Know that I am not the kind of person who spends time looking for a hair and that makes your whole approach even more wrong and ridiculous. Plus you definitely don’t know anything about the places I stayed in. What is sure is that don’t really know what mindset you should have when hosting people and your condescending tone to someone you never met tells a lot about the kind of person you are. Good night!

PxxE's Reviews to other hosts:

Montmartre  (beware of the stairs)  <--- REALLY????   / CENTER OF PARIS, LISTED FOR $50 A NIGHT

"...the most affordable airbnb in a great location but with minimal amenities provided that makes the stay not so great. Yes the location is great in the heart of Montmartre (beware of the stairs in the streets if you are not too sporty 😉 but the " convertible bed" is small and worn out and we really slept poorly. We had to ask for an additional blanket as it was really cold and humid..."

Williamsburg NY(5 Star rated):
"...we didn't like the place. Dated and small bathroom. Can be really hot and hard to sleep with neighbors door slamming and late TV noise. We felt it was disappointing for the price and not charming as we expected..."
BATH TOO SMALL, NOISE (IN BROOKLYN), NOT CHARMING ENOUGH???? REALY???????
EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE IT( all 5*****), BUT PxxE

Tulum, Mexico (INCLUDING FREE BIKES)
"...A bit rusty and worn-out but useful to do the 15-20 min rides to the beaches or other points of interest around. We have spent 8 days there and I wouldn't say it is extremely comfortable but ok (shower caused swimming pool situations). Check with the host if there are no construction work when you go because every morning at 8:00am we were in the middle of a ruckus. (December 2016). Anna Maria rules and conditions may sound a bit strict but in the contrary she was flexible with check in and checkout..."

Bluff, Utah / GREAT REVIEWS FROM OTHER GUESTS. but PxxE
"...but I would not say it is pleasant enough to stay at the house more than during the nights. My mistake but I didn't notice there was no internet connection and my T-mobile phone was out of network so difficult to plan the road for the next day or find a place to have breakfast or dinner..."

Māhina, French Polynesia: WTF??????
"...A deco "surf" that will not please everyone..."

CC @Paul

@Giedre-and-Andre0

Wow. I'm really glad you checked out the reviews this guest left for others because he sounds like a nightmare! It's not just that he was most likely to leave you a bad review and ratings, but would you really want to host someone like that? I definitely wouldn't.

His correspondence is even more off putting than the reviews. especially his threat to report you to Airbnb. He also seems to think he's qualified to tell experienced, highly rated hosts how to run their business. The arrogance!

It doesn't matter what you say to someone like this. They are just glass half empty people who believe that they are perfect and nothing is good enough for them. They will never even register that they find fault with what so many others praise and, if they do, they simply think they are the only ones with any sense. It would never occur to them that perhaps it's their expectations that are out of whack.

They will also never question why they keep using Airbnb if most of the places are a disappointment. Could it be that they simply can't afford the perfection they seek? I stay in a lot of 5 star hotels because of my job and, believe me, you can find things to complain about if you are determined to do so, but I choose to see the bigger picture and appreciate the positives.

The question is whether Airbnb is going to sing you for IB cancelling based on the guests previous reviews. I believe they are now removing IB if you cancel too many ? 

Doh 'ding you' ..

@Pete28 Yes, he did IB...

It was not a problem to cancel, as I was "NOT comfortable"

with this guest. No feedback about any complains against me.

Its MY house and MY decision to whom I hand over a key

to my front door  😉 and in general I'm very liberal if it comes

to welcome guests with almost 100% occupancy rate and

146 reservations in past 12 months...

CC @Huma0

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pete28

Good question. I don't know. I have got them to cancel IB bookings for other reasons (most often non-responsive guests). I have no idea if they would agree based on you being 'uncomfortable' with the reviews the guest has left for other hosts because I have never tried it.

So, this scenario is more to do with request bookngs and enquiries. However, if there is something  similar to this situation that bothers you about an IB, I guess the tactic would be to ask the guest the questions that would possibly result in answers that you could then jusify as 'this guest is likely to break my house rules' or 'I feel uncomfortable with this booking, because...'

I thnk it's probably true that you can only cancel IBs so many times before the Airbnb reps start to become unsympathetic, so it's propbably best to pick your battles, so to speak.

Hi @Giedre-and-Andre0

Montmartre  CENTER OF PARIS,  FOR $50 A NIGHT ?

My advise to this guy: Get a campground.

I know the area. Yes, there are stairs.