A New Year's Day Nightmare with 26K worth of damage, but only 10% is offered from Airbnb

Jessica1092
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

A New Year's Day Nightmare with 26K worth of damage, but only 10% is offered from Airbnb

On New Year’s Day morning I was corned into my room and attacked by an Airbnb guest who was high on rave drug-Acid with another unregistered guest. I called 911 and Airbnb, the police came. The attacker was arrested and sent to a psych hospital, a criminal police report was filed. The two guests trashed my house, injured others and left a huge mess behind. Days later, the estimate of the incurred damage came out to be $26,450 primarily due to extensive and unrepairable damage of the flooring throughout. After consulting with multiple licensed, bonded and insured flooring company in the SF bay area, they all concluded that it’s impossible to perform spot patching and repair of the wood flooring throughout the entire house and the permanently stained kitchen tile grout. A full replacement is required to restore the originally consistent appearance of flooring. After submitting the Host Guarantee claim with the required supporting documentation and photos, Airbnb decided to offer me a 10% damage cost of the total flooring damage estimate which is basically around $2600. They completely disregarded the flooring expert’s professional opinion for replacement than repair, insisted they will only cover for the repair of the affected area which they have determined 10% is more than enough.

The people I have communicated with from their Trust and Safety Team cannot be trusted at all, they couldn't be reached until almost an hour later after the incident, provided me incorrect advice and options shortly after I was assaulted, and now rushing me to accept the final agreement with a liability waiver. They are doing exact what Airbnb want to keep their jobs.

I am disgusted for being lowballed by Airbnb’s deceptive Host Guarantee policy currently being advertised as a marketing fraud & scam. I’m looking to take the legal route to remedy and recover my damage and loss. Can anyone help to share some advice about the legal proceedings you have gone through in similar situations ?

1 Reply 1
Tracey207
Level 4
San Diego, CA

@Jessica1092 OMG! What a horrible story you have! You must be completely wrought with frustration. What you are describing is every hosts worst fear hosting on Airbnb.

I haven’t been through your current situation, but I’ve had smaller damage issues. The only advice I can offer is to not accept any offer from Airbnb that you’re not happy with...and you have mentioned legal action already, so it’s clear you are on top of things.

I’m also in California...bad press isn’t welcomed by Airbnb. If I were you, I would start by making public complaints on Airbnb social media, then I’d inform Airbnb that I will be contacting local media (as others have done, and ultimately got paid fairly). 2 on your side...that type of thing...

Good luck and do let us know how things progress...I’ll be waiting with baited breath!