A Newbie mistake--forgot to add cleaning fee!

Answered!

A Newbie mistake--forgot to add cleaning fee!

Hi there, hosting community!

We just posted a listing for our guest house last night at midnight, and already have four bookings. Unfortunately when I was proofreading the listing, I neglected to add the cleaning fee of $150. We're writing to each of the prospective guests to say that this is our omission and to apologize, and that we understand if they'd like to cancel the reservations--also that we'll discount the fee to $125 for them, but as these bookings have already been made, any idea how to do this? 

I of course want Airbnb to get their appropriate fees, just don't know how to add this into an existing booking if they still want to book?

This is all happening so fast, and we're lucky to have had so much interest, but gee do I feel like an idiot!

Thank you for any insights you might offer,

Cornelia

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You really can't add money after a reservation has been completed. Extremely poor form, sorry! If your guests wish to cancel, it should be you who cancels on their behalf. Your calendar will be blocked for those dates and you will also need to pay a fine, the severity of will depend on how soon the booking is. Thewre will also be a visual record for all future comers that you are a cancelling host, which acts as a potential deterrent for newcomers. I suggest apologise profusely to these guests, let the bookings go ahead even if you lose money on it.

The guests can also complain to Airbnb about you for gouging.

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32

@Sarah977 

Hi Sarah,

I have one more question.  I offered to pay half and she agreed. She said to just leave the money (cash) at the end of my stay. 
Should we go through Airbnb for money transactions?

Or does Airbnb tack on a surcharge for her?

Thanks!

Jenna

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hmm.  I think that the price is the price. If host makes mistake, it's not your problem. She takes a big risk of getting appalling reviews but adding hindsight fees. Not on. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Not all hosts charge a cleaning fee. And frankly guests prefer that. There's no graceful way to say to 4 bookings "Can you pay us some extra for this fee not everyone charges?"

Chalk this one up to a learning experience and add the fee for your future listing. We WAY underpriced our accommodation at first and made negative profit. It happens. Live and learn.