A Security Concern For All

Felicia60
Level 3
Wasilla, AK

A Security Concern For All

Let me begin by saying that I have been a host since 2011. I find the practice of  encouraging hosts to lower their price with the suggested competitive pricing is attracting bad clientele. 

Last year an AirBnB guest booked a room at my BnB. I checked his profile, he had no picture. I was concerned and searched his name on google and discovered that he had stabbed a woman in a nearby town and had an extensive record. I refused the reservation. Since then I have checked out each and every AirBnB guest due to this obvious lax in security.  

Then another AirBnB guest came to stay with me for a month. He appeared to be legitimate and was the head of a Non-Profit. He prepaid but wanted to extend for another month paying me with his wife's credit card. To make a long story short they defrauded us and it was later learned that their Non-Profit was under investigation in their home state.

The new policy of Not Sharing Guest's Names is security issue for me and all hosts. I will, after 8 years, no longer host under these conditions

35 Replies 35
Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I understand the first part of your post.  I think your looking through the wrong end of the telescope.  I don’t think you can criticise a lack of security when you yourself take little regard.  

Noemi118
Level 2
New York, NY

This is my first visit to this portal and I'm glad I read your experience. I think that there is a disconnect between the service staff and the reality of who hosts are. I have had a few unpleasant experiences with guests and have had to spend a lot of time gathering evidence, downloading security footage and answering questions taxing my patience and questioning my requirements. In many cases, we are renting in our homes and there are considerations one must have for neighbors and our community at large as regards safety, security and quality of life issues. The fact that one is renting a space does not mean you forego these critical concerns. And it is very offensive when guests treat your home like a "hot sheets motel" and Airbnb staff don't understand why you're offended or concerned.

I think we need a Host Bill of Rights that clearly states boundaries and expectations. I also think Airbnb need to be better trained in local culture and values as well as be more sensitive to host concerns about safety and security.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Felicia60 

This is exactly the reason why I don't accept payment outside airbnb.

Some people really want to stay and don't want to pay the agency fee(omg the room is almost for free already). 

One potential guests was pushing so hard to pay cash so I told him to pay 10000 euro deposit and the price per night is 7 times higher then the actual pice.

Wow so quiet all of the sudden he booked right away trough airbandb. 

I aways say....People with stupid questions will get a stupid answer back. 

LovE, 

Kira😂

Dianna2
Level 2
Boulder, CO

Even though I agree with you on most of the topics here, I don’t like it when people make up stuff. How can you check out anyone on google when you only have their first name?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Charge a dead beat's rate and you will get just that.... deadbeats.

My weekdays almost always go vacant because the going weekday rate in Southern California is about 1/2 to 1/3 of the weekend market rate. Not worth my time. Not worth the risk.

With regard to accepting payments outside of Airbnb, I would never do that because

1) if you don't charge a transient occupancy tax (as Airbnb does automatically) and you happen to book someone for as little as a one night stay, and they refuse to leave (AKA a "squatter") you must take them to court to get them out. Simply by virtue of guests paying a transient occupancy tax, the are legally transient occupants -- not tenants, and therefore the sheriff will haul them out of there ASAP.

2) Airbnb adds a layer of insurance (in addition to the homeowner's insurance with Airbnb rider, which you should have).

Tom259
Level 2
Xlendi, Malta

I agree 100% with Felicia.