A Superhost No More :-(

Rene17
Level 3
California, US

A Superhost No More :-(

I have been a superhost for the last year. Now I got an email stating I didn't make it this time around. Here are my "stats":

What to work on
Requirement
You - 4.7
Target - 4.8

Overall rating: 4.8
Superhosts are known and loved for the outstanding hospitality they provide guests.

What you’re doing well

Response rate
Got - 100%
Aim For - 90%

Cancellations
Got - 0/yr
Aim For - 0/yr

Trips hosted
Got - 18
Aim For - 10

Trips reviewed
Got - 72%
Aim For - 50%

So I am over and above all the items shown above (what I'm doing well) but I still didn't get my Superhost title. I think that's really crappy!!!! It really doesn't make sense!!!!! 

19 Replies 19
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

What about your ratings when it comes to the reviews you received from guests, @Rene17

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Rene17

Sorry to hear it! I agree, it doesn't make sense in the eyes of most people; on your listing you have 5* in every sub-category and overall, as well as fantastic reviews.  It's just that pesky 4.7 when they've set the bar ridiculously high at 4.8 😞  I would say: try to let go your desire for "the badge" - I tell myself this all the time, as I'm pretty sure I'll lose it before long (I reckon it's a fluke that I have it...) - and let your listing speak for itself.

All the best

PS It would be interesting to hear if you have any drop in your bookings.  I very much doubt that you will!

Basically the only reason I want the infamous badge is so my listing doesn't get shoved to the bottom of the pile. Actually, I haven't had a drop.....yet. In fact it's gone up so far this entire year. It's rented every single day from Dec 22, 2018 to March 31, 2019!!! So far this year, it's done very well. I do still have some of August until Dec open but usually get last minute bookings during those times. So we will see.

Thanks for your response 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rene17

I am sorry you have lost your status over something which you feel you have no control over but, from what I read from your profile, it was possibly Petr's stay that sunk you as far as you Superhost status is concerned.

I can't see the star rating he gave you but it was possibly a 3 or less and under the old system of superhost rating that would not have been a big deal, but under the new system that would be enough to drag your rating down below the required 4.8.

Rene, as you know after all the hosting experience you have, your reviews are everything in this business! 

I can see a lot of grief ahead with this new rating algorithm because it won't take guests long to cotton on to the fact that they don't have to be responsible any more. They can run rampant through a hosts property but the host will still give them a good review to protect their status.

If a host asks a guest to be responsible, that host will be penalised....... no if's no butt's!

But, having said that Rene, in this instance Petr did have a point....he spent $2,000 with you, and you stood your ground, and even justified it with a seriously lengthy review response over demanding an additional $8.00 from him......really!!! 

Rene sometimes we have to keep our eye on the ball here.....what are we in this business for, to stand on our principal, or to make money?

You got your $8, but I think you have probably shot yourself in the foot and said goodbye to thousands of dollars in potential guest bookings!

I have had a wonderful lot of guests through here....170 of them but there has been a couple of horror stories I would have been completely within my rights to make a song and dance over.....but I chose not to, I let it go, put it down to the hazards of hosting and got on with the business of making money!

I would still mention it in the review.....but I would not drag it out of the guests pocket....just not worth it, as you are finding out Rene!

Cheers.....Rob

Could you tell me what are the exact benefits of being a super host?  Thank you

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Natya0

Each year the company gives you a $100 US travel credit which comes in handy!

You get priority attention if you need help....provided you call on your registered Airbnb phone!

Many guests will only search for Superhosts listings, because superhosts have a track record of not cancelling and going that extra yard for their guests. Remember Superhost status is not a company award, it is a guest award for great service.

You get to promote yourself by using the Superhost badge in your promotional literature...it is seen as giving you a more professional status.

It won't change your life Natya, but being a Superhost makes it just that bit easier to be a success in this business of hosting.

Cheers.....Rob

Did they change the ratings again?  Guests don't leave stars?  Or they changed the questions?  I don't know how hosts are supposed to keep up with the constant changes that, at least we, are never informed of, I would know almost nothing about the various changes in the listing options, guest review templates, etc. if I didn't read here.

I know what you are saying but I did not demand any money from Petr, as I stated in my response to him. He knows it but choose to write what he did anyway. So because of one person, who had the "story" wrong, my whole status goes down? Wow! I did not drag any money out of anyone's pockets. In fact, I told him to never mind the whole thing and enjoy his vacation.

"But, having said that Rene, in this instance Petr did have a point....he spent $2,000 with you, and you stood your ground, and even justified it with a seriously lengthy review response over demanding an additional $8.00 from him......really!!!" Obviously you didn't read my response or choose not to believe it. 

I just don't get how one person, out of many others, has that power to lower things. Why not take the average instead? It is what it is...just voicing my thoughts on it. 

Thanks for your response!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Dear @Rene17 ,

I often agree with @Robin4 from Australia, the country where they are driving on the wrong side of the street, but I have never agreed so much on what he says as in this case.

You are demanding $8 from Your guest Petr who spent $2000 in rent with You? I cannot believe that. And then You post a never ending review reply on this matter - good lord.

You have just lost Your superhost status and You've deserved it. Pls don't write back to explain Your  point of view, bc for this there is no explanation. You have fired a pumpgun into Your foot.

Ellen33
Level 9
Assenede, Belgium

You have put it on yourself....and for 8 usd. Its not even about principles. It should have been about how to let it go because you want to give your guests the best possible experience.

You just should have let it go. Your loss.....and the info you wrote on the review is scary

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Rene17  Your review of him would put me off EVER renting from you. I'm sorry, but $8 really! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42  @Ellen33 @Letti0 @Rene17

I am still a new kid on the block having only seriously hosted for 2.5 years but in conversation with others I seem to have had a random lot of guests, and  for me a pattern has appeared. About every 15 guests I will strike one out of left field! 

It's never a man, it's always a woman in her 60's.

She will tell me she found an old web and my cleanliness was not up to par!

She will tell me the cottage wasn't exactly where she wanted it....it really should have been in the next town so maybe it wasn't worth what she paid for it!

She will tell me the polished concrete floor was cold and I should have thought to provide guest 'slip-ons' to avoid this happening!

These guests are going to give a me a 4 anyway and there is nothing I can do about that....a bottle of Chanel No7 as a parting gift wouldn't alter that!

But there is another category that you have to protect yourself from.

She will accidentally up-end a bottle of nail polish remover on a quilt cover leaving a fist sized white spot and hope I won't notice it!

Despite there being a resin cutting board, she will slice up a bunch of asparagus on the timber benchtop leaving score marks in it and proceed to tell me she doesn't have worry about that at home because she has grantite benchtops....why don't I!

She will leave her clothes draped across the bed on departing and expect me to mail them back to her at my expense! 

They seem to come around as regular as clockwork....and the only problem with IB is, they are on you before you get a chance to put the 'lock on the door' barring their entry (declining their booking)!

So, how best to handle them! I have said in other posts I build a 'sinking fund' into each stay to cover the physical damage that 16th guest will do, so, I don't bounce them, I don't demand anything of them, I just put a big red box around their name to remind me to make myself 'unavailable' for them to stay again in the future.

My main concern though is to antagonise them as little as possible before the review. The ones that do damage will hope they dodged a bullet and if I let their indiscretion go I will probably still get a 5 star. Sure it might cost a few dollars to put it right again but, the wheels on the bus go round and round and I maintain a steady stream of bookings.

As hosts we are all going to end up with this scenario sooner or later and it is my firm belief the important thing is the score line at the end of the game....not that free kick you might have scored before quarter time!

I hope that makes sense!

Cheers.......Rob

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Robin4wrote:

My main concern though is to antagonise them as little as possible

b e f o r e

the review.

That's what I do.

Rene17
Level 3
California, US

Thanks to all for your responses. Sorry Ute, but I believe I can write a response to the replies to my own post. It seems everyone has taken what was said incorrectly so apparently I didn't write things clearly. I did NOT demand any money from him!!! In fact I told him to never mind and just enjoy his vacation. He made the choise to leave the $8.00 with my property managers. I didn't even know he had done that until after he left. I have had more than a few guests break, or steal, things and haven't even said anything to them about it. Others have volunteered to pay without anyone saying anything about what they did. One intentionally plugged the toilets up so they could ask for a refund!!! I did give them a partial refund even though it was very obvious it was done intentionally. Apparently, in this one case (Petr), it just didn't go well. He also stated other things in his review that weren't true. So for that ONE I get punished I guess. So far it hasn't caused anything negative as my bookings are doing just fine. I guess I'll see how it goes in the future. I do whatever I can for my guests from start to finish. My property managers are awesome and go out of their way for the guests, also. We try to be kind and understanding and not be negative and mean when we speak to others. I would hope that that would be the case all the time with others. Especially host to host (since I would think they might relate) but I guess, sometimes, meaness is just in some people's natures. There's nothing that can be done about that. Peace out 🙂