A bad review from a guest that didn't stay

Michelle1233
Level 2
Bibury, United Kingdom

A bad review from a guest that didn't stay

I recently received a very late booking in my very small one bedroom bothy for the following day.  My listing states max of 2 people and not suitable for children under 12 years of age.  (I have a very tricky spiral staircase that is very exposed at the top) The guest arrived one hour earlier than the check in time and got out of the taxi with her husband and two tiny children.  Fortunately I was there to meet them.  I explained that the place only slept 2 people and it was highly unsuitable for children so she couldn't stay.  I apologised and offered to call around to places in the area to see if I could find them something else.  In peak holiday time I was unable to find anything but directed them to several other hotels that might be worth calling into.  I said she should cancel the booking as it was clearly made in error and I would give her a refund.

Since then she has written me a bad review.  Firstly I find this terrible that someone can write a review even when they didn't stay and they had to cancel.  Secondly because I didn't write a review - because she didn't stay - I can't now address her nasty comments.  I think AirBnB are wrong to allow this.  

Does anyone have an idea how I can deal with it please?

Many thanks

2 Replies 2
Michelle1233
Level 2
Bibury, United Kingdom

Further to my post above, I have now been able to write a public response to my poor review which has helped address it.  For some reason yesterday there wasn't the option.  I still find it unfair that reviews can be written by guest that cancel though.