A bit tricky-- how to say this to a new host?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

A bit tricky-- how to say this to a new host?

I have a work colleague who just started getting a room  ready to host in her home. She was having some trouble getting it ready for listing and asked me to come over and take a look/help her with staging and pics. When I got to the location I noticed it was very dirty. Dust and cobwebs in corners,  dirt and  dust bunnies under furniture, baseboards with schmutz, stained carpet, extra clutter in the guest room, generally not what I would consider "clean" for the purposes of hosting. I helped her deep clean, stage and take pics but going forward I wonder if I should say anything about the standard of cleaning? She is older and I don't know if she even "sees" this or has the funds to hire someone to help her. 

She is a wonderful lady and is doing this to supplement her income. She has had some health issues so it may just be that cleaning thoroughly is beyond her ability at this point. Would you say anything? How would you say it? I would love to help co-host but we are stretched thin and really can't take it on due to her distance from our Airbnb listing. Maybe I should keep mum? I would hate for her guests to rate this poorly but I also don't want to step on toes or hurt feelings.

4 Replies 4
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 either here or in person one of the things that I always harp on with "thinking about it" hosts is that cleanliness must be WAY better than what would be standard for just your own personal home. So, yes, you could mention it ONCE but after that her experience and reviews will tell the tale.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 I'm with @Kelly149 because she only gets one chance to launch her space.

Could you couch it in terms of how hard you find it, cleaning on your hands and knees et.c. and maybe a story or two from here about demanding pernickety guests?

@Mike-And-Helen0 I did share the story of our "white glove guest" who dinged us on cleanliness because she does a white glove test of picture frames, door frames, cabinet tops, etc and she found dust. My colleague just rolled her eyes and indicated that she thought this was abnormal. I had to agree but tried to gently say that you never know who you will get as a guest and that some (many) can be quite picky. But I am not sure if I should be any more direct than that.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Laura2592 

How nice of you to help her. There was a need.

Going forward, I suggest distant support. 

The wonderful thing about airbnb for hosts it is a primer for running a business. She will quickly learn. 

Along with the devestation of a bad review, she may be excited by the increased revenue. She may learn to get a housekeeper. She also may learn that she doesn't have to be a superhost. As a business person, she may figure what works for her.