A booking on behalf of someone else with no ID

Paul6271
Level 1
Sheffield, GB

A booking on behalf of someone else with no ID

Hi, new host here. I received my first request for a booking. However it's from somone who says that they are booking it behalf of someone else and their partner and they don't have IDs.

Is there a general protocol here? I'm keen to have someone stay and get my first review but it also feels a bit off.

Any advice?

13 Replies 13
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Thanks for this.

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Send them this link: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/221/how-do-i-create-an-account and suggest that the couple in question register themselves.  As we all know, it's quick and easy to do.  As @Marit-Anne0 pointed out, third party bookings are not allowed on AirBNB - and you wouldn't be protected by their Host Guarantee (many are dubious of this 'protection' anyway) and possibly even your own insurance if something were to happen.  Your account could also be suspended or banned if AirBNB were to be alerted that you were contravening their Terms of Service as well.  Not worth it!

All the best, welcome to the community!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Paul6271 

Do what makes you feel comfortable. Personally, I would not feel comfortable with this as my first set of guests / first reservation. 

Dawn81
Level 9
Escondido, CA

@Paul6271 it's actually against Airbnb rules and standards to allow third-party bookings. You do realize anybody that books for a 3rd party that person has no ideas of your rules or any real idea about the listing. You have no information on them whatsoever. It's a very bad idea I do not allow it and it is stated clearly on my listing. It really is a recipe for disaster. The only exception would be for spouses where one person's name is on the account but they both have access to the account and only one of them is traveling and wants to book a stay.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paul6271  A guests saying they, or the people they are trying to book for don't have IDs is pretty strange. Who doesn't have ID? 15 year olds, maybe. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If it's in the UK we don't have ID's unless we have a passport or driving license @Sarah977 

@Helen3  No ID at all? Nothing with your photo and name on it?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No, nothing that would be counted as an official photo ID apart from our passports/driving licenses.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'll take third-party bookings for elderly parents, nobody else. 

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Hi Paul, I don't know if you've taken a decision since Tuesday but I agree with the other hosts here.
Some unscrupulous guests who know the system might even search out novice hosts who are too eager to get their first booking.
I would also not allow it unless it was for direct family member, husband or parents, and get everyone's ID.

As for ID standards and guidelines, it depends on your market, local rules and your own preferences!  Here in Andalucia hosts are required to get ID of ALL guests, AND register them with the police database, AND keep a signed copy on site.  I do this and I'm happy it's the law.  I would want everyone's ID anyway, I mean, if you are renting a bicycle or kayak you have to provide ID, right?  Why not if I am trusting you with the keys to an expensive property, usage of my internet modem, etc...

Again some unscrupulous guests may search out properties where ID is not required and where self check in is possible so no interaction at all with host or manager is needed... IMO this is a source of many of the problems you see on these forums.

Make your own rules, stick to them, and if something feels "not right" it probably isn't, better safe than sorry.

@Susan1188 

"Here in Andalucia hosts are required to get ID of ALL guests, AND register them with the police database, AND keep a signed copy on site.  I do this and I'm happy it's the law"

If that were the law everywhere, it would instantly slash the number of troublesome, anti-social and criminal incidents on the platform.

People tend to behave a whole lot better when they're left in no doubt whatsoever that they'll be held personally accountable for any wrongdoing. 

Wish I could leave you 10 thumbs up.  Exactly.  Hosts have to stand up for themselves unfortunately.

And if Airbnb is going to survive, we also have too implement "good neighbor" practices which include:

=> no self check in, in apartment complexes center city in the middle of the night.

Just saying.