A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Charles14
Level 3
Palm Springs, CA

A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Has anyone had a guest who is the son of the booking guest demolish physical property (way beyond wear and tear) and then have Airbnb not only deny their claim but then refuse to escalate the issue to legal?

I feel misled by the Host Guarentee as I believe the damage done and the offender fall within the covered damages listed within the host guarentee guidlines.  I submitted my request on time and according to spec.  Now, the only person who responds to me is not giving me the contact information to legal, as I am requesting, to have a mature conversation prior to seeking arbitration.

This is all over a claim for $299 and I am a host with a perfect hosting record.  (Superhost.) 

Please advise if anyone knows how to get a reasonable human involved in this nightmare!  The only thing I can think of doing before filing suit or compelling arbitration is to reach out to the media, as that appears to be the only way to get higher ups to reach out to individuals.

Charles

Palm Desert, CA

207 Replies 207

Hi Christine! 

Please connect with me regarding this as well. *

Best,

t

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Sent Message']

Chika1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

How does one add damage deposit to their listing since Airbnb does not provide anywhere for this to be included? I also just had a nightmare situation with Airbnb in trying to claim for damages caused by a guest and after their ridiculous demands for proof and letter headed estimates, they closed my case without paying. You're absolutely right,  their so called Host guarantee is bullocks! 

Mark360
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hi Chika, sorry to hear about your experience. Damage deposit is there somewhere, try youtube or calling. When you do have it organised I'd advise moving very quickly if you do get damage as Airbnb don't actually take the money before the booking. Sorry I'm not totally up on it. I actually only receive minimal number of guests from Airbnb now where as it used to be 80% just 12 months ago.

How is the London market playing out for you otherwise?

Mark 

Chika1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tips.  After numerous strongly worded emails and a couple of calls, they finally agreed to reopen my case and pay for the damage. It was quite the battle but I'm glad that it has finally been resolved.  In terms of bookings,  things were pretty good end of last year but lately I haven't had any bookings.  To be honest I'm reconsidering whether to continue hosting because of the risks involved,  especially with property damage.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chika1 @Mark

Hi Chika, I am late on the scene here but I have just had a week away with friends and this is my first post back on the forum!

Sorry to hear about your damage...unfortunately sooner or later we all strike one, but don't be too disheartened, I have only struck one in 110+ hostings and I think I have learned enough not to strike another in future!

As far as your lack of bookings is concerned I notice you are not using Instant Book! Now in areas where there are not a lot of listings, profile visibility as far as search rankings goes remains good, but in an area like London preference in search rankings is given to those hosts who use Instant Book, and what is happening to your listing, it is slipping down the search rankings to the point where nobody is seeing it any more. It sometimes help lift your visibility if you refresh your page every now and then.....put in another photo or two, change a house rule! Or get some friends to submit enquiries (not booking requests) via the 'Contact Host' tab on your profile. The search ranking algorithm responds to activity, and the more activity you have on your listing page the higher you will rise in search rankings. Because you do not have a lot of hosting experience it may not perhaps be wise to enable 'Instant Book' until you understand fully how it works but, that would certainly gain you a much higher profile.

And finally, as far as setting a security deposit is concerned....this is how you do it!

Setting a security deposit.png

This is from the official rules guide Chika!

All the best, and don't get too despondent...hosting with Airbnb is one of the best things I have done!

Cheers.....Rob

Chika1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the detailed message, very insightful. I used to have instant booking on but turned it off after having the issue I had with the damage. It makes sense now why I haven't had any booking in months. I suspected my listing was perhaps slipping down the ranks. Now I know why. 

Robert812
Level 2
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

The security deposit is a waste of time. Airbnb wont let you claim on it and the host guarantee is a marketing tool. I sustained £1500 of damage when my guest hiked the heating in my 300 year old house and the gas bill was massive, He did the same at the next place he stayed and Airbnb still refuesed to honour my host guarantee or take anything from the guests deposit. Totally lost faith in Airbnb, they basically are saying they dont beleive me which is hurtful since I've been hosting for 8 years without any problems. I'm investigating legal action which will have to be against Airbnb as they wont give me the guests address.

Yeah and has anyone else noticed that after you make a claim with Airbnb for property damage they stop showing your listing as much and your requests for stays goes wayyyyy down to almost non-existent?  Hmmmm, coincidence?  I don't think so.  They run the algorithm...it's retaliatory for us speaking up trying to get paid back for damages they pretend and brag about covering...let's join forces so our voices can be heard!

100% Let’s connect on this!

[Personal information hidden for safety reasons]

Best,

t

Let's band together - they can't do this to all of us if we join forces.  Our voices will be heard.  We are the ones who are suffering here.  Find me on Insta gram  jenni white 3000

Elle4
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

@Robin4 thanks I am  new to the message board (first week) so this is the first time i have read about the insurance. Very helpful information so thanks for posting again. 

I am experiencing a similar issue, I had a guest come into my home and flood my bathroom, hallway and two bedrooms after clogging the toilet with his human waste, that evening I asked him about it and he admitted what he had done, but Airbnb says that I have no proof that it was him, he left me a two star review and Airbnb will not remove it.  I am a super host!  I cannot do business with this company under these circumstances, this is a safety issue for both myself and my guests.

Melinda did you claim the plumber bill for the toilet? We just submitted a claim this morning for same circumstances. 

Thanks for the advice, Airbnb has not made good on thousands of dollars in damages to my home from one guest nor will they remove his dishonest review of my home.  After several years hosting I will move my home based business to another provider, safety to both myself and my guests are a big concern now.

Melinda, 

What provider are you moving to? I would love to see an alternative to airbnb.

Although I did everything as requested per my $750 damage from "guests" (I call them hoodlums!) they still keep saying that I did not provide the necessary information within the 14 day required time frame (I DID!) and that the case is closed. I am so sick of them not having any competition and always taking the "guests" side. 
Another thing that bothers me is that "guests" can see my profile picture yet I am not allowed to see WHOM IS STAYING IN MY HOME's picture!

Talk about discrimination!