A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Charles14
Level 3
Palm Springs, CA

A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Has anyone had a guest who is the son of the booking guest demolish physical property (way beyond wear and tear) and then have Airbnb not only deny their claim but then refuse to escalate the issue to legal?

I feel misled by the Host Guarentee as I believe the damage done and the offender fall within the covered damages listed within the host guarentee guidlines.  I submitted my request on time and according to spec.  Now, the only person who responds to me is not giving me the contact information to legal, as I am requesting, to have a mature conversation prior to seeking arbitration.

This is all over a claim for $299 and I am a host with a perfect hosting record.  (Superhost.) 

Please advise if anyone knows how to get a reasonable human involved in this nightmare!  The only thing I can think of doing before filing suit or compelling arbitration is to reach out to the media, as that appears to be the only way to get higher ups to reach out to individuals.

Charles

Palm Desert, CA

207 Replies 207

@Eleanor16Sadly the staff do not seem to have read their own policy, there is obviously no such requiremnt in the Host Guarantee.

Your best bet is Arbitration, go to the Host Guarantee wording and scan down, seems that when this is envoked someone higher up the AirBnb food chain gets involved, realises they do not have a leg to stand on and the case is settled.

David
Mark360
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Good luck with that, we went through the arbitration process also. Plus who's going to go legal for £200. 

Mark

Hi - I have had the same situation with a guest that damaged my heirloom family art deco dresser.  After submitting all the photos, invoice for repair of the damage and statment, twice I might add, they sent a "sorry too bad for you" message.  I'm suing them, would you like to join my class action?  

Mark360
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hi Eleanor, as a fellow host amazed at how uncannily cool this new business Airbnb seemed to be we had a couple of similar experiences a couple of years ago. First relative pennies as with your £200 and then a large unnauthorized party with damages of around £8000. Airbnb paid out about 20%. 

This is when we fell out of love with Airbnb and the cold realization set in that they are simply another cool couple of idea's doing well but with never the less, a cold corporate heart.  The £1 Million of insurance cover is probably a complete myth. I say probably as we never got to speak with any decision maker in person on this subject. We were amazed how locked tight that floor is, absolutely no conversation. Thats it.

We had met along the way some great company people from the Paris gathering and others visiting the London office would even stay in our Old Street apartment. However when I started calling around trying to make sense of this refusal to discuss our claim no one wanted to know as there was nothing they could do. 

My advice is to evaluate the situation, log the experience and be aware. Then just deal with it. Thats the way they do business. 

I hope this helps.

Mark

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

What about Arbitration?

David

That would be a great place to start.  I have called 5 times, written 9 times...threatened to sue and still no response.  There have been "replies", but none of them were responses - they were form letters shot out in reply to whatever I send...very frustrating.  I'm moving through the rage to getting my property repaired and litigation.  I'm done...and done F*c!ing with them

Hi Christine

We have a similar situation. Can you please let me know how did the letigation go? Which Lawyer did you use?

I hope you were able to get your damage expenses back.

Thanks a lot!

Brande2
Level 1
Bluffton, IN

I am a 'superhost' and I'm super heartbroken over our cottage being damaged.  4 guests turned into 17... vomit EVERYWHERE... our antique linens, rugs, beds... walls... EVERYWHERE.   They broke into our adjacent cottage and also did damage.... the mysterious 'trust & safety team'  just dismiled my case because I didn't take pictures....of vomit!!! We had to get a dumpster... they burnt holes in people's boats with foreworks.... a true disaster.  I'm beside myself.  We have a damage deposit and can get nothing.... even with a police report!

How exactly did a mere 4 guests turn into a '17 - person pack of animals'? I am sure inquiring minds are DYING to know.

Mark360
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hey Fred, is this question for real.

Mark

Lauren231
Level 2
Hingham, MA

Someone from Airbnb called me to ask me to bend over backwards to accept a guest whose name was Carlie who rented my home for someone else.  The people who actually stayed here did extensive damages to my furniture and Airbnb rejected my claim and has done nothing to help me with the damages.

Hi Lauren - the same happened to me; Airbnb is really shady.  I am going to the media first, Michael Finney, 4 on your side.  And then am

seekinf legal council.  If I try to put my phone number, airbnb

will delete it.  But stay tuned and I will try to circle back with oyou and thers in this thread

Mark360
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Wow, that is outragious.

Mark

Jen96
Level 2
Walnut Creek, CA

We had the same thing happened. Property was damaged, we filed a claim for the Host Guarantee. it's been 2 months now and we didn't get reponse from AirBnb. How can we join the Class Action? 

I'm trying to collect names; thinking of creating a google share spreadsheet document to collect the names.  can you email me?  

Please do let me know if airbnb hides my email address from these posts.  thanks.

Chris ****

Oakland, CA

[Personal information hidden from this post for safety reasons in line with the CC Guidelines]