A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Charles14
Level 3
Palm Springs, CA

A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Has anyone had a guest who is the son of the booking guest demolish physical property (way beyond wear and tear) and then have Airbnb not only deny their claim but then refuse to escalate the issue to legal?

I feel misled by the Host Guarentee as I believe the damage done and the offender fall within the covered damages listed within the host guarentee guidlines.  I submitted my request on time and according to spec.  Now, the only person who responds to me is not giving me the contact information to legal, as I am requesting, to have a mature conversation prior to seeking arbitration.

This is all over a claim for $299 and I am a host with a perfect hosting record.  (Superhost.) 

Please advise if anyone knows how to get a reasonable human involved in this nightmare!  The only thing I can think of doing before filing suit or compelling arbitration is to reach out to the media, as that appears to be the only way to get higher ups to reach out to individuals.

Charles

Palm Desert, CA

207 Replies 207

This just happened to me as well. Had a guest book a Friday night for 1 person and he obviousley planned a party. He kept sneaking people in. By the time I asked him to leave at 2am there were a dozen people in my 6 person max studio. I have a feeling most of them were underage and they were all dringking and partying, playing loud music. It was infuriating. They spilled drinks all over and damaged the floor and rugs. Airbnb refuses to communicate with me about it. I'm so **bleep** right now. Thinking about leaving.

We have just had a guest cause at least 9 thousand dollars worth of damage and Airbnb are stonewalling me, the Police have reluctantly  taken a Report, but I am at my wits end, the trauma of dealing  with Airbnb, the denial that they haven’t received invoices, receipts, photos, omg, how much evidence, including the Police incident report numbers do you need!

Clearly, they were using meth in our home and the damage is caused by someone  paranoid! They had four kids with them!!!!!!!! In addition to the damage they smashed the lock off the spa which we do not advertise and is locked and secured, used it, emptied it of water, how? Broke into a locked storeroom , merrily went off to another Airbnb property despite me notifying Airbnb instantly. We will just rent our home out now with a real estate agent, I could not believe my eyes that someone would do this type of damage. 

Linda1325
Level 2
Pasadena, CA

Hi I’m a host for 6+years, many properties.  I have had damaged things over $10000 after the guests left a huge mess, but AirBnB said they have 100% control of their decision with claims means they can deny without any legal responsibility, I also asked for the guest’s information but they refused to provide such information which is completely a shady business. I really think we should gather together to take a legal action for this. We made billions for AirBnB but they don’t care about us. 

Happened to me two times. I was getting ill be the treatment i got from airbnb. Now i am very careful who i accept as guests and i have safeguards in place on my airbnb site that discourage problems. From what i have read you u have to contact an organization that fights for us there are a few and or go to newspapers. This issue with airbnb is their weakest part and i am amazed the owners set it up like this.

Ryan350
Level 2
Encinitas, CA

Just had a guest stop up my gutter system which then flooded my porch and then into my master bedroom, about $3k worth of damage. Pictures and repair invoice from contractor submitted, this was their response : 

unfortunately we decline your request as our accounting department is unable to verify the validity of the invoice/document you provided.

I understand this is not the outcome you were hoping for. I want to reiterate that this decision was made after careful review of all documentation and communication, and is in alignment with our policies and procedures.

Please be advised that, per our Terms of Service, Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with regard to these disputes. We are unable to reconsider the decision made in this case — we've issued our final decision and will uphold it accordingly.

As further communication will not change the outcome of this case, we must respectfully disengage from further discussion.

So they can just say it's over and you have no say??? this is clearly a breach in their host coverage gaurantee.  Airbnb cares nothing about the hosts, only the guests. 

I am having a similar problem as my last guest ruined my guest suit with carpet stains, smoking in the room (dry cleaning) and ruining a piece of furniture.  I have receipts, photos  and witnesses and filed in a timely manner but still no response 3 weeks in.  I am so frustrated with them!

Pamela625
Level 1
Surfside, Australia

Yes having the exact same problem!

I had a guest destroy and steal property and have been trying to deal with there. “Trust team”

I have given them all the quotes and invoices they have asked of me that is over $2000 and they have finally come back and told me that they can provide a laughable $200 amount for damages. The whole process has lead me to believe the Airbnb insurance policy is completely false and misleading. They make it as difficult as possible to make a claim and then offer you pathetic amounts as compensation. We should all get together and do a class action against Airbnb!

I will be deleting my account and not using this platform again!

Airbnb does not honor or help hosts unless goes to newspaper or one of the sites who help hosts. The insurance they flaunt is to look good 

Gary523
Level 1
Fresno, CA

This information is enough to make me seriously consider canceling Airbnb.  I've received some damage over the years, but nothing as substantial as anyone is stating here, and I have a lot of expensive items in my house.  Amazon got where they are now because their customer service was excellent.  Some rep from Airbnb should probably consider getting online and addressing these complaints, and ASAP.  If their stated insurance policy doesn't hold up, I'm better off finding long-term renters for my house and paying extra through my home insurance policy.   Hearing stories like this makes me extremely nervous to continue hosting through this site.  

Виталий5
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

Hi. There are generally anyone have any positive experience of receiving compensation?

Colby17
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

So far I’ve also been very underimpressed with the “host guarantee”. I saved a guest life 2 days ago and called the ambulance to have him taken to the hospital and he trashed my room. Poop and throw up everywhere due to drinking. I’ve called about 3-4 times a day and opened a number of tickets and uploaded photos and everything. I haven’t heard a word from air bnb. 

Its a little scary to feel this lied to about hosting especially when you feel like you’ve went above and beyond to make air bnb look good. 

Please help!

my house is destroyed by fire while airbnb guests stayed in the house, I am currently waiting for airbnb's response. 

people please help me to get this issue resolved. I am devastated! my home is destroyed.