A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Charles14
Level 3
Palm Springs, CA

A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Has anyone had a guest who is the son of the booking guest demolish physical property (way beyond wear and tear) and then have Airbnb not only deny their claim but then refuse to escalate the issue to legal?

I feel misled by the Host Guarentee as I believe the damage done and the offender fall within the covered damages listed within the host guarentee guidlines.  I submitted my request on time and according to spec.  Now, the only person who responds to me is not giving me the contact information to legal, as I am requesting, to have a mature conversation prior to seeking arbitration.

This is all over a claim for $299 and I am a host with a perfect hosting record.  (Superhost.) 

Please advise if anyone knows how to get a reasonable human involved in this nightmare!  The only thing I can think of doing before filing suit or compelling arbitration is to reach out to the media, as that appears to be the only way to get higher ups to reach out to individuals.

Charles

Palm Desert, CA

207 Replies 207

Hi Charles, 

Can you please update us here as to how you got airbnb to overturn their initial decision?

Thanks 

I reported damages to my place in July 26, 2017 and no one even contacted me yet about the insurnace I should get. I submitted photo and called every single day or close to every day and no one has resulted this matter here it is now Sept 1, 2017 and no one had contact me yet.

Same situation for me. Guests damaged my property about $5,000 worth. After dozens of emails and phone calls nothing yet. Any ideas?

lawsuit and close account.  That's the only way, at least that's the only option left if the company refuses to respond (which is the case for you and for me).

Did you sue?  If so what was the outcome?

I’m taking my guest to small claims court.  5000.00 is max for small claims court.  It’s costing me 90.00 to file.

The same thing happened to me, over $5,000 worth of damage and no response after nearly 3 weeks from Airbnb after escalating through the Host Guarantee Program, many phone calls and emails. Help!

Hi Allison, same thing with me, you can find me on Insta gram, Jenni white 3000, I think we should all band together.  This is ridiculous.  I'm out over $13,000.  I can help guide you for various state and federal agencies you can log formal complaints with....let's get their attention.  This is predatory and unfair!

How in the heck does a guest do $13k worth in damage to a short term rental property? 

Same issue with me, I'm sitting on over $13,000 of damage and no response and they don't even address you - just let you rant to some poor customer service rep who answers the general number.  Anyone have any advice?  Should we get together for a class action?

How did Airbnb renew your faith? 

I just got grilled by someone from their trust and safety team through a slew of questions, explanations and document requests regarding a $1500 arm chair that a guest destroyed and was later denied of any payment. I rent Airbnb rentals full time and I feel betrayed. Any advice?

@Elias40

There is an Arbitration provision, others have has success involving the Media.

David

How did you get past the stonewalling in the end? Once the CS made an (incorrect) decesion he has "withdrawn from any futher communication on the subject. Likewise wth any other contact method..EG twitter and calling.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to get though to anyone reasonable. 

@Melinda6

There is an Arbitation clause.

David

Thanks. Have been looking at that but seems USA specific.