A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Charles14
Level 3
Palm Springs, CA

A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Has anyone had a guest who is the son of the booking guest demolish physical property (way beyond wear and tear) and then have Airbnb not only deny their claim but then refuse to escalate the issue to legal?

I feel misled by the Host Guarentee as I believe the damage done and the offender fall within the covered damages listed within the host guarentee guidlines.  I submitted my request on time and according to spec.  Now, the only person who responds to me is not giving me the contact information to legal, as I am requesting, to have a mature conversation prior to seeking arbitration.

This is all over a claim for $299 and I am a host with a perfect hosting record.  (Superhost.) 

Please advise if anyone knows how to get a reasonable human involved in this nightmare!  The only thing I can think of doing before filing suit or compelling arbitration is to reach out to the media, as that appears to be the only way to get higher ups to reach out to individuals.

Charles

Palm Desert, CA

207 Replies 207

As far as I am aware it is world wide, they have it in there for their benefit.

David

I have the same issue. my guests had a campfire in my yard and after they left, the fire moved into my neighbor's property and damaged his fence completely. In addition, they broke my fire place glass door, they broke my refrigirator and the fire damaged big part of my yard.

The fence part is covered by the 3rd party and it is moving slowly, but my property's damage is not moving anywdhere. the case manager - Scott is not responsive and I cannot escalte it to anywhere.

Super disappointed.

thanks,

Tatiana

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. Airbnb claims department is a dead end street. They do not allow you to escale to their superviser or talk to anybody different, perhaps the service agents figured out a way to keep the escalations away from managments. I have tried many routes to get my denied claims on damages escalated. If anybody finds a way, please let me know.

I'm really dissapointed!!!!

Mark360
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

We had a great relationship going with Airbnb and never thought much about it when they reduced our legitamate claim on the damage deposit for guests smoking once. However that changed when we had the full on illigitimate party experience in one of our apartments. They took the tv etc, damaged furniture and the place needed a repaint. Airbnb paid out about 20%. The worst thing was that they absolutely refused to discuss the matter. Complete brick wall. When I contacted company associates we'd met in Paris and London they just clammed up. Nobody wanted to go there.

So after a year of thinking this was a new kind of company that really did think about people first we realised they are just another elusive corporation with a story to peddle and its really just about the money. 

We still use it but the love and trust is gone.

Mark

London

Jay85
Level 2
Manhattan Beach, CA

@Mark360 I agree, I don't even want to use it travelling. I rather do a house trade with a like minded inividual or family. 

Hi Alex, I'm going on month 5 of my fight with them.  I want to discuss our rights together. My insta gram:  jenni white 3000

No response from Airbnb for the property damage caused by my last guests.  The guests put a plant in a clay pot on my 1930's art deco dresser.  it is a family heirloom and was passed down from my grandparents to me.  I have never dealt with such a non-responsive company.  I have guests pay $3,000 for security deposit, but airbnb doesn't respond - called and emailed dozens of times.  Ready for a class action lawsuit, anyone interested?  I'm trying to find an attorney now.  I definitely will be closing my account once the litigation is over.  I'm not renting out with this organization any longer.  looking into other places like VRBO and others.

Hi Christine, I'm looking to do the same thing.  You can find me on Instagram:  jenni white 3000

I'm out over $13,000 and it's been 5 months with no response...let's get our voices heard and get made whole, this is totally unfair.  PS I filed complaints against them on BBB and FTC, and there's more we can do to that effect as well.  WE cannot just roll over and let their greed affect our individual rights.  That's not the deal here.

Jenni I sent you a follow request on Instagram. My claim is in Canada but is still applicable.

@Christine442 does VRBO handle damage claims differently?

@Matthew285

I believe VRBO allows a Security Deposit.

No Host Guarantee.

David

Hi Tatiana, same for me they burnt up to pots on my stovetop, the Viking super expensive cooktop, had a giant party in my pool with a unicorn, destroyed my grill, overflowed the toilets, Airbnb gave me $32 four pots that costs over $200 It's about 5 grand worth of damages. Any ideas? They also were over the limit with how many guests I allowed in my home. Plus there's no parties allowed on my property. When I smelled the damage I stayed in a remote part of the house cuz I was afraid they were going to have a fire just like you did. It's been since July dozens of phone calls and emails nothing

I'm thinking the only remedy is litigation and closing account.  I certainly won't be opening up my home to airbnb guests ever again.   The company doesn't communicate, stand behind it's promises or give access to the security deposit amount that guests are responsible for.  Very poor business model; and not sustainable.  The only way to change these types of predatory outcomes is litigation (unfortunately).  I wish there was another way; but I haven't found one.  

Tatiana, let's get together - I'm fighting for $13k myself and it's been 5 months with no response from Airbnb.  Add  me on FB or Instagram.  Insta:  Jenni ****

hi Jenni - can you email me your contact info for the class action, if you are still interested?  i'm setting up a google doc with the class action participant's info.   thanks.  chris