A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Charles14
Level 3
Palm Springs, CA

A guest damaged my property and Airbnb refuses to pay under the Host Guarentee. HELP!

Has anyone had a guest who is the son of the booking guest demolish physical property (way beyond wear and tear) and then have Airbnb not only deny their claim but then refuse to escalate the issue to legal?

I feel misled by the Host Guarentee as I believe the damage done and the offender fall within the covered damages listed within the host guarentee guidlines.  I submitted my request on time and according to spec.  Now, the only person who responds to me is not giving me the contact information to legal, as I am requesting, to have a mature conversation prior to seeking arbitration.

This is all over a claim for $299 and I am a host with a perfect hosting record.  (Superhost.) 

Please advise if anyone knows how to get a reasonable human involved in this nightmare!  The only thing I can think of doing before filing suit or compelling arbitration is to reach out to the media, as that appears to be the only way to get higher ups to reach out to individuals.

Charles

Palm Desert, CA

207 Replies 207

Hello @Charles14,

Did they cite any reason for not honoring your claim? If not, you can try reaching out to Airbnb via these different modes. Maybe someone can finally help. Once when I was facing a problem, I didn't get a satisfactory response from 2 executives that I spoke to, however when I contacted the third time, the person on the other side was very helpful and resolved my problem quickly. So worth giving a try.

I hope you get your money back 🙂

Jeet

Hi Charles, sorry to hear about this. I just had a rental and they used a false name and were under age but Airbnb did not catch it. So far my damage is close to $6000 and climbing. I really hope I get reinstalled or I will deactivate my account with them. This Jasmine Gill aka Nimar Gill was able to book with a false profile. I believe this has been 1 of many and it is not going to stop anytime soon. I have changed all my terms and agreements but I am exercising extreme caution. 

hello Jeet, 

I am having the same problem. They told me they are denaying [ayments because the guest is not responsible. But I have proof thet the guest admitted to the damages and miliciously abandoned the house. "the case manager" refuse to talk to me on the phone and is not answering my questions directly. I called in a few time and they told my case manager it is the only person to talk to. I need help. I have all the proof necesary to proof damages and to proof the guest did it. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Charles14......I have posted this before on other pages but, this question is coming up time and time again so, here we go again....

A lot of posts have given graphic details of the problems associated with trying to avail yourself of this umbrella insurance cover that Airbnb offers. The reality of it is, YOU SHOULD ASSUME THIS COVER DOES NOT EXIST! A damage deposit is possibly a prudent thing to include in your listing details for the odd broken or 'mis-placed' item, but we are now seeing reports of some guests facing bills of thousands of dollars for damage to major fittings that they thought would be covered by with this 'warm and fuzzy' Airbnb protection cover. The terms and conditions of the Airbnb cover have been so cleverly crafted, that, realistically it covers you for three quarters of nine tenths of bugger all.....forget about it, it's a marketing tool!!

Most general insurance companies will not cover 'rental property' under their homeowners insurance agreement! In fact some are even cancelling existing policies if they find out a rental agreement is taking place!!

I can't speak for the rest of the world but, for Australian hosts a company called 'Sharecover.com' offers insurance cover specifically for either Airbnb or Stayz hosts from $3.80 per night for $200,000 building cover and $40,000 contents cover with a $10 million liability cover. You pay ONLY for nights when guests are in residence. Now this sits well with my property because it is separate from the main residence but, it shares some facilities with the main residence. You can take out cover on-line on the spot! I currently have guests in my cottage and for the 4 nights they will be here my premium is the princely sum of $15.30 AU!....It sure is peace of mind and every host should be using it. There is also another company called LMZ who offer a protection on an annual premium basis, and this may be more applicable to hosts who have a higher number of guests!

Now I know that similar cover exists in nearly all other countries so I suggest that you phone the insurance council for your country and ask them to recomend an insurere who operates in this field....cheers.....Rob

Thanks for the advice.  Airbnb has made good and renewed my faith.  Keep on hosting folks!

Thanks for updating us @Charles14. Glad it worked out. I guess thrid time's a charm 😄

Ken21
Level 2
New York, United States

Hi Charles, how were you able to get Airbnb to make good with you? I'm having a similar problem at the moment. I'm being denied damage coverage from someone which in my opinion is completely unfair. 

A guest stayed at my home and I am sitting with $8,000 worth of bills. Airbnb refuses to deal with it any ideas? I must have called them 50 times and sent dozens of emails

@Lia49, what exactly did the guest do to cause $8,000 worth of damage?

Hi Lia, I am going through the same issue.  I filed a complaint with the BBB and I am also currently filling out a complaint with the FTC for misleading busines practices and potentially fraud.  I have also contacted some extremely good attorneys and I'm looking at either the arbitration clause or going class action as there are hundreds of disgruntled hosts who have been misled by Airbnb Host "Guarantee"...

Pamela287
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Include me in that suit. I had a guest destroy my Tepee lining and had to rush to have it replaced for new guests - the guest paid half and I just found out the host guarantee is being refused for $298 when I’ve been a super host for two years.   I’m disgusted.  Count me in. 

What ever happened? I had $1600 in rugs destroyed. Airbnb is doing nothing. Zero reimbursement. I would like to join your suit if it exists. 

I would be on board with that lawsuit. Or what has the outcome been for you?

How is it 8k in bills? Can you explain please?