A guest is requesting a refund three months after their stay

Caitlin35
Level 2
New York, NY

A guest is requesting a refund three months after their stay

A guest stayed at my apartment for 3 nights back in March (it's now mid-June). She called me this weekend to let me know she had several gripes and wanted to request a refund. I called her back, left a voicemail, then she texted me saying she found the neighborhood to be unsafe and the entryway to the building to be untidy -- my place is in Brooklyn, New York, so this kind of layout is relatively normal. Instead of letting her know she should have researched, I wrote her back via text and apologized that she had a less-than-amazing experience.

My question for the community is: will she receive/does she deserve a refund three months after her stay? 

10 Replies 10
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Caitlin35 I personally think she does not deserve and will not receive a refund. Did she end up staying for the reservation she made? If yes, then she wants that stay to be a free stay?

She did stay for the entire time @Farah1. Do you think she even deserves a partial refund?

@Caitlin35 I just cannot comprehend what makes her think that she deserves any refund? 1. She stayed the whole time and did not cancel the reservation, so the reservation is completed, 2. She did not communicate the safety concern/any other concern to you during her stay, 3. Asking for a refund for a completed stay months afterward? Where has she been?

Did she by chance leave you a review? Did she mention the safety concern/any concern either in public review/private feedback?

I also suggest keeping all communication with her within the airbnb messaging system.

Super helpful, @Farah1, thanks. She never left me a review, public or private. I checked in with her several times and she never alluded to being unhappy while at my place. Good call on keeping comms in the Airbnb system. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Caitlin35

So, she never left a review and did not make a claim either to you, or the resolution centre at the time!

Ok Caitlin, I would send back to her...."Sure, I will refund the payment for your stay on the condition that you pay me the cost of repairing the coffee table your scratched, the bed linen you carelessly ruined and had to be replaced, and the dining chair you broke, all of which I have pictures of!....The total cost of repairs was $526.00....Do we have a deal, or should I involve Airbnb"!

This turkey will disappear faster than a thanksgiving dinner, and you can then flag her profile for being a hussler!!!

Good luck girl...

Cheers.....Rob

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Caitlin35

No. Way.  

At this point, the stay is over and done with, the reviews are in, and you're finished with this one.

You can ignore this one completely.  But perhaps flag the message stream so the company is aware of her nuttiness.

Ellen104
Level 4
Denver, CO

@Caitlin35 

It's clearly a shakedown.  I wouldn't have bothered to respond.  Under no policy are you required or expected to reimburse her.  She probably needs money and is looking for somewhere to get it, in my opinion.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Caitlin35 it is written somewhere in FAQ or TOS that guest has 24 h after check in to ask for a refund if he finds that listing is misleading or something is not wright BUT he has to contact host first to give him a chance to make it right.

So there is no way she has any rights to ask for a refund 3 months after check out

Yup! Found it in the TOS. I think I'm good :). Thanks!

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Hell No!!!!! Dont give her anything! Not one dime...

Dont be taken for a fool...