A guest left me a hateful review because we didn't provide daily cleaning

Rita693
Level 2
Rochester, MN

A guest left me a hateful review because we didn't provide daily cleaning

Today I noticed one of my guest left me a 1 star review just because of they are excepting daily cleaning service from us. But do any host here provide daily cleaning? We don't. That's the different between airbnb and hotel right? I am feeling so horrible that it is hard to earn a 5 stars review but someone just throw out the 1 star for you without any reasonable reason. Do anyone know if airbnb could help to delete this kind of review? Thanks

28 Replies 28

I offer a daily maid service, clean towels, rubbish removal, daily pool service and I load and empty the dishwasher for my guests.  Most guests don't expect it, but then most guests don't read the listing details so that's hardly a surprise.  I don't have a cleaning charge but my rates do reflect the service offered.

@Cave0  I just looked at your listings and couldn’t find any of these services.  Am I looking in the wrong place or are you just ribbing us?

If you truly do all of these things, you should describe them front and center at the top of your listings!

It's mentioned in several of my reviews @Pat271 , I'm not kidding.

The reason it's not on the listing at the moment is that the local regulations discourage daily maid servicing by any accommodation provider, hotel, b&b, Airbnb and the rest, as part of the governments Covid protocol.

But it is a service that we provide, after all, these guests are here on holiday, they're not here to clean 🙂

@Cave0 

are you an in-house host? Because we are not, and our guests would be angry if we would enter the apartment and clean during their stay

I don't live at my listing, but I am close by.  Guests are able to decline the daily cleaning service if they wish, and in any case, cleaning is undertaken at a tmie agreed with the guest so it isn't as though someone is turning up unexpected.

@Cave0 at $950 a night, daily cleaning may be more of an expected amenity. The OP is not quite in the same nightly cost category and does not mention that this is in any way offered. So the guest's thoughts are irrelevant. 

@Laura2592 

You're quite wrong of course, I have another listing which is a third of the nightly price and the same service is offered so it's nothing to do with it being expected it's to do with knowing my market and knowing what guests like.

As I said, at this moment in time the government protocol discourages daily cleaning and therefore it's not mentioned in the listing for this reason, we like to keep on the right side of the authorities rather than doing what we please.

Guests thoughts are always relevant, they are our customers, if we ignored them, they'd probably go elsewhere.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What systems do you have to protect your guests during Covid as you are letting your cleaners access their accommodation on a daily basis 

There is a strict protocol issued by the government and we are certified by the government having attended the mandatory government training.  As I said, daily cleaning is at the moment discouraged, hence it's not mentioned in the listing, a bit of a mute point really since there's no tourism at all at the moment.

However, my comment was in response to the question asked by Rita693 about whether any host offers daily cleaning, to which I wish I hadn't replied what with it being suggested that I lied about what I offer, my listing doesn't include it which I mentioned is the case due to current circumstances and now it appears there's an assumption that I am stupid enough to be breaking the law and not observing the government protocols which, I would hasten to add, required government certification.  More than most of you lot might do I'd expect.

I don't think I could do that especially my nightly fee is not high at all, plus the pandemic. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

One of our first guests were a retired couple who were upset that we did not offer daily cleaning and turndown service. When I explained that this was not included or mentioned as an amenity, the gentleman said rather huffily "well is this a B and B or not?" I then had to explain the Airbnb business model and how each home is a different situation depending on the host-- some might involve sharing spaces, others may well provide breakfast or cleaning, but that its incumbent on the guest to understand what is offered for the nightly cost. I think this is a somewhat common misunderstanding with a certain group of guests who may be conversant with bed and breakfasts but not necessarily with STRs like Airbnb or VRBO. It is still somewhat new of a concept and not everyone is tech-savvy and up on booking by an app. 

That said I would dispute the review for irrelevance. Good luck and I am sorry that this happened. 

Thank you so much for the idea @Laura2592, I totally agreed with what you said here. Just wish the guests would communicate with me during their stay if they have any questions, instead kept silence during the whole period then just left a hateful review after checked out. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Daily cleaning in my area exists, but only as a commercial service.  If the guest wants the place to be cleaned daily, it will be done for a fee.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm sorry to hear this happened. I'm not sure which listing you're referring to as you have 15 and a few of your listings appear to have low ratings/reviews for cleaning @Rita693 

However you are correct unless you state otherwise the guest has no right to except daily cleaning.  If he mentions this in the review you may have grounds for having it removed.