A guest wants to change her reservation to another month which is cheaper.

Susan3667
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

A guest wants to change her reservation to another month which is cheaper.

Hi, all.

I'm quite new to Airbnb.

I have a guest who is due to arrive in 2 weeks time (our peak season). She has already postponed the booking from the same dates last year due to travel complications which was perfectly OK.

She's just asked if she can change the holiday to October (our low season).

Our cancellation policy is strict so she would lose 50% if she cancelled instead of changing dates.

But if she has already paid 50% at the higher nightly rate - how does it work if I change her dates to the lower rate - does she just pay the difference? What about the service fee I get charged?

Also, at short notice to fill this high season cancellation, would anybody else be tempted to say, yes, no problem in changing to October, but at this short notice to fill the August dates, the price is the same?

4 Replies 4
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Susan3667 🙂

If I were in your situation I would write the guest (in a very friendly/kind way) and explain that with such short notice it could be difficult to get new guests - and you might end up with an unbooked calender in high season. You can explain that if she cancels - your calender will open up and in case the dates get rebooked you could offer her the last 50%. It is important the guest understands that it is difficult for you with such short notice but that you will gladly refund the last 50% in case you get rebooked. That is very fair. I usually stick to my strict cancellation policy when a guest wants to cancel (last minute) but I always offer a refund should someone new rebook. And I try to be as polite as possible :-). She can book the new dates in October if she wish after the cancellation and cross her fingers that someone new will rebook her old dates so she will get her last 50% back :-). 

Best, Sandra 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Susan3667 

Your guest has already changed her reservation  once. What's to say she doesn't have travel complications again.

IMO, a second request seems to be a ploy, most people don't have that much flexibility to plan their vacations.  I'm seeing red flags.  I would stand my ground  have the guest cancel and tell her if she may want the low season to put in a new reservation request. By having the guest cancel, it will free up your high season calendar. This will give you the ability to decline her at minimal risk to your account. Do  Not Cancel On Her request.  You will be penalized by Airbnb.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Susan3667 

Changing a reservation will recalculate the price and the Airbnb guests service fee, guests will pay the new difference. You can also change the reservation but keep same price as for high season (amend the price in the change form to the original price).

Be aware of also changing cancellation policy time limits, so guest can take advantage of it !

Susan3667
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Hi, all.

Thank you so much for your replies. @Sandra856  yes, I was thinking along the same lines initially, to be as fair as possible. One snag with asking her to cancel is, not only does she lose 50% but also the service fee she paid to Airbnb which is an additional €178.

@William810, @M199 ,  the guest originally booked the summer dates in February last year, but because of Covid travel restrictions between our countries came in shortly before her due travel dates, she asked to change for the same dates this year. But now she is weighing up her options for one or two other non-related reasons.

@Emiel1   Thank you for that. I think I will advise her that if she cancels she not only loses the 50% but also the service fee - and to request a date change and I will charge it at the same price for the reasons that I may not be able to re-book the high season dates at such short notice - but will also offer her some difference back if I do get re-booked. (I might have to do a promotion to sell the date).

Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 14.19.51.pngScreenshot 2021-08-01 at 14.19.51.png