A guest wants to send me mail before hand?

Joanne163
Level 1
Revelstoke, Canada

A guest wants to send me mail before hand?

Hi, 

I have a guest that will be staying this winter, and wants to send me mail to give to him. Apparently he wants to buy online and then have it sent to my home. I feel weird about this. Is there a policy about this?? 

Thanks! 

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

May be innocent enough, since staying the winter; depends on volume and frequency.

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

I dont know if there is a policy but i would not allow it. How long is their stay? They can, for a fee, get mail delivered to a ups store even if they dont have a permant box there.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Joanne163

I would not except mail for my guests, I would get him to set up a PO box

"A Post Office Box or a P.O. Box is a private locked compartment you can rent in 5 different sizes to collect mail and deliveries at the post office"

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/products/details.page?article=postal_boxes

Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

If the mail didn't contain anything of value I'd happily accept it, but if the guest has been shopping online I would not want to be liable should anything happen to the parcels before the guest's arrival.

@Joanne163

I would not allow it. Too many things could go wrong and I would not want the hassle of being responsible for someone else's stuff even before they come. There are plenty of PO boxes or designated pickup services that could be used. Hotels, guesthouses, boarding houses, traditional B&Bs, no one allows items of guests who haven't checked in yet to be sent in advance and stored until the guest comes. Sounds like bad news...... asking for special treatment even before check-in.