A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177

@Scott Thanks! I tried, but the message appeared not to send. Please let me know whether you received it.

@Scott the exact scenario is: the message template includes the short code for directions, and the directions changed. Yet the message as sent today includes the old directions.

Thank you!  I have a long letter that I leave a copy of at the condo. I wanted to attach it to scheduled msgs, but it doesn't seem to have the ability to have an attachment.  Still good info, now I'll type a shorter one as well.

Hi @Catherine2455 thanks for the question. We're keeping this idea of supporting attachments in mind for a future improvement 👍

Gill917
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi, I'm new to hosting and have our first guests staying next month. I have prepared a 'guest guide' in a Word doc with lots of useful tips about the apartment and the local area. Do you know if it is possible to attach this to my scheduled messages or a quick reply message? Or is there a different way to send it to guests automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Gill

Hi @Gill917 thanks for the question! One idea is to add your tips about your local area to your Guidebook -- more info on that here https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/create-a-guidebook-to-share-your-local-tips-23 

You can then add the link to your Guidebook in your scheduled messages and quick replies.  

John5316
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Can a URL be included in a scheduled message? i.e. someone confirms a booking and we would like to send them a link to our kitchen menu and meals order form.

Hi @John5316 thanks for your question. Yes you can add a URL to your schedules messages and quick replies.

Alex7679
Level 2
Invermay, Australia

Hi @Scott, first of all let me complement your very professional and helpful responses in your thread.

I have a few questions, and wanted to re-iterate a request:

- The email that Air Bnb sends 3 days before check-in - what exactly does that include?

- Does this email still get sent to people who book less than 3 days in advance?

- Like others, I really want to include check-in instructions in my scheduled message, however I think a simple link would be a good option, and this is why:

— The check-in section encourages pictures (which the messages don’t currently support), and I believe most hosts would have them. 

— The check-in section encourages multiple steps being entered. Personally, I have 10, each with it’s own picture. For me, along with all the other things in my scheduled pre-arrival message, this would make the message too long and unwieldy.

And I would add to that:

- It would be nice to see any errors with scheduled/quick reply messages before they are saved, so we can fix them immediately. 

- It would be nice to be able to preview scheduled/quick reply messages, so that we can check our short codes and formatting are all correct.

- The predictive text function in these messages is pretty bad, especially when editing an existing message. I usually have to type them up elsewhere then paste them in.

Overall, they’re a great feature and save me a lot of time.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi @Alex7679 thanks for this detailed question!

Re: check-in instructions, you can include them in your scheduled messages and shortcodes using the "check-in instructions" shortcode. As you call out, the multi-step check-in instruction photos are currently only editable on the mobile app, and aren't included in the message text that gets inserted by the shortcode. Sorry for any confusion here -- we'll keep this in mind for a future improvement.

That said, I'd suggest you take advantage of the Arrival Guide, which combines your directions, check-in guide, and wifi info into in one simple place for guests.

Re: spotting shortcode errors in your message templates before they're saved, that functionality is only available on the Web today.

Re: previewing messaging templates to make sure they look right, we'll keep this idea in mind for a future improvement 👍

Your questions and feedback are very helpful, so thanks again.

Brian1991
Level 1
Leland, MI

Is there a way to preview the message to make sure that the short codes actually work?

Hi @Brian1991 thanks for your question.  We don't have a message preview feature, but have heard this request from others, and will keep this in mind for a future improvement!

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
SF, CA

Hi folks, I wanted to share an update that we've added 14 more shortcodes, including a few that have been suggested in this conversation:

1. guidebook
  2. number of nights
  3. number of guests
  4. guest city
  5. guest country
  6. guest phone number
  7. total trip price
  8. average nightly price
  9. cleaning fee
  10. number of bedrooms
  11. number of beds
  12. number of bathrooms
  13. primary host first name
  14. primary host last name

You can see the complete list in the scheduled messaging or quick reply help center articles.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! We'll continue to evaluate more shortcodes for future improvements.

Hi @Scott  Scott!

Is it possible to get a shortcode that is the last four digits of the guest's phone number?  I routinely use the last four digits of the guest's phone as the lock code for the door.  

Thanks!

Cara