A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177
Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

Definitely a good feature added by Airbnb. It really does reduce a lot of repetitive questions when we have specific check-in instructions that guests see within 24 hours before check-in. Great guide to scheduled messages!

Claire1363
Level 2
Oban, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for these clear instructions. Is it possible to see a preview of the message? A bit concerned not to be able to check and edit it with the shortcut content ...

Kyla79
Level 1
Glen Elder, KS

Does this feature begin working immediately?  Even for reservations that are already made?

No @Kyla79 the scheduled messages only get applied to reservations that come along after you create them.  Additionally, if you have a message set to go 5 days before check-in, and a reservation comes in with a check-in date that's 4 days away, the scheduled message won't go out.

Dee1142
Level 1
Boone, IA

I LOVE the auto message feature. I would LOVE IT MORE if it enabled us to attach a picture. On one of our listings we encourage guests to use the back door which is off an alley.  A pic of the back door reduces confusion for guests at check in. Thanks!  Dee Mc

Liz4451
Level 1
South Carolina, United States

It would be nice to see a sample of what is going out first. Also, they don’t offer check out instructions as one to pick. I had to add to guest manual. 

Paul1954
Level 2
Christiansburg, VA

How can I add a picture to the scheduled message though? I send a property map with my check-in message, but I don;t see a way to include that in the scheduled message. I've tried copy/past, to no avail.

In the corner of the messages in the inbox there is a black circle with a "+" in it. Click on this. Here is "image" and when you click on that you can drag and drop an image with this. Be aware, though, that once you do this there is no turning back because once you drag and drop it it automatically goes so there is no turning back.

ベンジャミン0
Level 2
Ishigaki, Japan

Hello,

I am very happy to see the scheduled message feature. It will make my life very simple and my guests informed timely !

However, I operate in Japan, sending message in 2 different languages (Japanese or English) depending on the guest's preferred language.

I don't see any way to set a scheduled message with 2 language options depending on the guest's language of preference.

Does this feature exist ? Is it in development ?

In the meantime, I could surely type the 2 languages in the same message, but that really lacks a personal feeling for the guest, so I will have to pass.

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions and information !

Regards,

Benjamin

@Scott Is there any way that the feature could work with 2-3 languages?  I live in Denmark where we speak Danish, and I communicate in Danish with my Danish guests. I can set one language for one auto message, but will my English speaking guest then get the message in Danish? Or is the messages translated to the guests language? I have not been able to finde a description on how the language layer works here. I tried to make to messages - one in Danish and one in English, but the the guests got 2 messages. Im an not sure how it is should work. Can some one give me some help with that? 

Garrett47
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Another vote for a preview feature. I don't want to turn these on without seeing that the shortcodes work first.

Jorge1777
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Hi, can you please change the check-in and check-out date format to YYYY-MM-DD so they'll be understandable in any language and also so they don't have spaces? Thanks in advance.

Thank you @Ann72 ;

Can my co-host use my scheduled message, and how?

How can I share my Scheduled and Quick Messages with my co-host to ensure a consistent branding, look, and feel in my listing messaging?

I can't think of a reason this wouldn't be possible, and yet. We are traveling for the holiday and just discovered our co-hosts can't see the quick messages NOR can they see scheduled messages. Hoping Airbnb will implement a change to this ASAP!

Daniel8188
Level 2
Nashville, TN

We just need an "if" (conditional) feature. 

This would be EXTREMELY EASY to implement for your programers. 

Such a feature would allow us to send a message

"If" a review has not been submitted.

"If" the guest speaks X language.

"If" the guest's stay if for more than X days.