A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ann72 

Well explained, thank you !

Thanks, @Emiel1!

@Ann72 , how are you using the short codes ? Is it brackets or forward slash? I am having trouble with both . eg Dear /Guest first name/    doesn't populate with the name. 

Please help! Thanks Rashelle 

I just choose it, @Rashelle3, and then when the message goes out, it's there.

Here's what it looks like before:

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.46.49 AM.png

And here's what it looks like after the message has been sent:

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.47.49 AM.png

As you can see, you can't see the guest's first name when you set the message up, but if it's got a gray background as in the above, it will work.

@Ann72 Would you happen to know if there is a way to test and or preview the scheduled messages prior to having them go live? I would like to make sure all of the shortcodes are displaying correctly.  How were you able to see what the message looked like with the first name in your example above?  Thanks! 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

This feature must only be for those who have more than one listing and use pro tools? I don't have a scheduled messages option.

@Colleen253 It seems to be rolling out in stages; I know other people had it before I did.

@Colleen253  Not sure, but know that even those with one listing can get pro tools  - you can request them in your account settings.

Thanks for that tip @Ann72. I didn't know that!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ann72 I have been using this feature and am happy not to have to pay Host Tools anymore—I have found one bug to be aware of: a reservation was extended with an earlier check-in date, and the scheduled  pre-check-in message vanished without being sent, maybe because the change put the time it was to be sent in the past.

@Lisa723  Probably not a bug if the time to send it had passed.  But certainly a reminder to check in on this process to make sure it's working right. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

How do we add a  photo there! 

@Kristie73  You can't add a photo there.  There is a short code for check-in instructions, though, if that's what you were thinking of?