A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177

Hi @Ann72 thanks for your question!  You're correct that we don't currently support attaching photos to scheduled messages. This is a great idea and has been a frequent request. We'll take this into account when planning future improvements 👍

Thanks, @Scott!

The scheduled messages continue to be a great feature.  I was with friends at a museum the other day when a booking came in, and the guest immediately got a reply from the app.  It was so nice not to have to drop everything and answer!

@Scott 

Thanks for the response! I would use this in a heartbeat if I could attach photos. My current automated/scheduled messages allow me to attach photos to my guests that show detailed pictures of my Parking Spaces, Emergency Backup Key location and other details that are VERY helpful for guests, especially in the Check-In instructions. Having a visual to go along with your Check-In notes is very much appreciated by guests.

Thanks for considering adding this feature!

It's on there you have to make the check in instructions with photos and descriptions , then post the link in the text you send them pre arrival.

The link will only be visible 3 days before check in however

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

I don't think that feature is available right now.

Jason114
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

@Ann72 , big thanks for sharing this! I've been using smartbnb for a couple years for this same functionality and I found out about this new scheduled messages feature in Airbnb just recently. Looks like this will completely replace smartbnb for me, which means I'll save the cost. I look forward to setting this up soon. 

Rena2598
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

I have a question regarding these messages. I think they’re a great tool..... if they work. I was using the automated messaging system originally because it was suppose to automatically send guests their information after they confirmed their reservation. However, I was getting repeated messages from guests that they weren’t receiving any check in instructions on the date they were to arrive. Obviously that is a negative as no guest wants to have to reach out because they feel a host is ignoring this step. It happened so often I stopped using them altogether. And support could never figure out why the messages weren’t sent. We allow same day bookings so I’m wondering if maybe that would effect these as well. Anyone have any info on this? 

Hi @Rena2598 thanks for your question! The way the system currently works is it skips messages that fall outside of your schedule's trigger timeline. It doesn't "catch up" missed messages.

So for example, if your schedule says "send check-in instructions 1 day before check-in" but the guest makes a same day booking, we don't send that scheduled message.  We've assumed you would prefer to  handle these last minute bookings manually.

Based on your comment, is it fair to say you would prefer the system always sends the scheduled message?

I would like it to always send the message,  just not prior to 1 day out (using your example).

Thank you, I really like this feature!

I think you should have a yes/no always. Because if we have 2-3 scheduled to try to sound nice we may not want all of them. But one is likely vital. 

Hi Scott!

Sorry for interruption here, but my suggestion is very much connected to the situation Rena2598 and you are discussing. I find scheduled messages extremely helpful, it makes my airbnb handling much easier. However, what I would like to see implemented is conditional scheduled messages. Let me explain shortly by example.

I have scheduled two messages, one is upon reservation, lets call this "thanks for booking" message. Then, 7 days before the guest comes, I have scheduled "all important info" message where I state crucial info for the guest to properly prepare for check in. 

The problem arises when the guest books less than 7 days before arrival. Now, the message " thanks for booking" will go out, BUT the message "all important info" will not since the condition 7 days before will never be fulfilled. 

So the solution I see here is that under Scheduling, under timing, i.e. Days before when the message should be send, it states:

- 7 days OR X hours after guest books (if the first condition is not achievable)

These conditional messages can be probably applied to many other situations, but this is the first that came to my mind. 

Many thanks for reading and considering this 🙂

Zlatko 

Hi @Zlatko5 thank you for adding your detailed example here. It's helpful input as we think through the best way to address this issue.

Great ideas Scott , hope they make those changes . 

Kristin
Daniel7900
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hello,

I'm replacing Smartbnb with this tool, but is it possible to have messages send in French base on the language of the guest's profile? 

Daniel

Hi @Daniel7900 thanks for your question!  Today it isn't possible to send a particular scheduled message based on the guest's language, but this is a great idea and has been a frequent request. We'll take this into account when planning future improvements 👍