A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177

That would be great! About half of my bookings are from spanish speakers and the other half from English speakers. I'd love to make the messages match their language, as sending English or Spanish always may be odd, particularly after we've messaged in a given language. 

Hi@Omar10 I have the same mix of languages. I created short messages in English, copied them to Google Translation, then pasted the translation back following the English message. I haven't tried the system yet but couldn't come up with any other fix for this. Maybe it works!

Neera28
Level 1
Unterägeri, Switzerland

I have a similar question... Just wondering how to edit or skip the messages for different guests. Specifically, I communicate with some guests in German, others in French and the rest in English. I'm not sure how to specify which language version of the message I can send out - or skip the versions I don't want to send out.

Angela2441
Level 2
Hobart, Australia

Hi people - does anyone know if the scheduled messages prompt you to update information (like per-stay codes) before they send?

Hi @Angela2441 thanks for your question! We don't currently support prompting for information (like per-stay door codes) before they send.

Are there other types of information you would want us to prompt you for before sending, or is it mainly pre-stay door codes?

Thanks @Scott  for the reply - the door code is the main thing I need to customise for each stay, although depending on what info they've provided it's also nice to refer to their plans (eg wishing them well for their special occasion).

@Scott  The guidebook link would be great to have as a shortcode.  I include it as part of the message that gets sent out 10 days before check-in, but about half the guests specifically mention planning now for their visit and I would like to send them a separate note about that shortly after they book.  I know I can create and save a message that would include the link, but since the list of shortcodes includes things like a description of the neighborhood from the listing that I doubt any host would send to a guest, it would make sense to pull the guidebook link into a shortcode.

Thanks for the suggestion @Ann72!  Agreed and noted.

Completely agree with including guidebook link as a shortcode.

Currently I send guidebook as link included in a saved message but the problem is that on mobile app (Android) the link isn't fully underlined. Opening it gets you basically nowhere (back on traveling homepage) which isn't useful and gust doesn't get expected information.

Workaround is to put the link in third party url shortener but that could make guest think you're spamming with suspicious stuff.

@Scott can you please also look into that too?

Hi folks, I want to share an update that we've added 14 new shortcodes, including Guidebook 😀

You can see the full list in the help center pages for Scheduled Messages and Quick Replies.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

@Scott  Just discovered we can now add the guidebook link to scheduled messages.  Fantastic addition - thanks!!!

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

The check in guide already allows for photos. But non-app users don’t use that. Why not just get that sorted out? The shortcut url link to the check in guide used to be available for hosts to push out in a message (using a key emblem) until an app update about 18-24 months ago. Why not bring that back? Use the check in guide that already exists but let it get sent in a message the day before and don’t bury it several clicks deep where guests get angry at us for telling them where to find it. 

Ralph226
Level 2
Kihei, HI

@Ann72  Appreciate your input & seems like a great feature!  I would use if the platform enabled the ability to attach pdf files.  I currently send guests similar information and include pdf attachments which are invaluable!  Airbnb previously included email addresses for all booked guests and now that the feature is no longer, I have to reach out & have travelers provide their personal email address.  Attaching pdf files thru the site would be fantastic!  Photos are possible to insert, however, are you aware of a pdf attachment ability?  Mahalo. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Ralph226  Thank you!  I have two workarounds for you.

1)  If you request professional hosting tools, you can attest that you'll only use the email feature for Airbnb necessities.  It will look like this in your account:

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.36.40 PM.png

2)  You can convert PDFs into JPGs.  I don't know how to do it on Windows, but on my Mac, I open a PDF in Preview, then go to File -> Export, then go down to Format and choose JPEG.  And once your PDF is a JPEG, you can send it through the Airbnb messaging system!

Let me know if these work!

@Ann72 

Hi Ann. I'm confused about this. Wouldn't it be easier to just send your guests a link to your PDF or Google Doc, stored online? Why the need to convert to .JPG?