A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177

@Sami459  I think you're not confused, just of a different mind.  The guidebook has to be accessed by a link, while the thing I send that's a jpeg isn't super important and I don't want my guests to have more links to click through or open.  As a jpeg it's right there in the Airbnb message thread, not even an attachment to an email, so they can quickly decide if it's something they need to pay more attention to or not (it's simply a calendar of farmers' markets).  During a long day of work emails, I find it annoying to get too many that require me to open links.  I just want the information I need without taking extra steps.  But it's also streamlined and efficient for the host to send links to important information and documents stored online, so for those who like to do that, I say go for it.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Scott  Can you tell us how to remove a scheduled message from just one guest?  I have a message about state Covid restrictions, but there are three states that aren't restricted, so I would like guests from those states not to get that message.

@Ann72 to skip one or more scheduled messages for a specific guest:

1. go to the guest's conversation in your inbox
  2. click or tap the scheduled messaging icon next to the message compose box
  3. find the message(s) you don't want to send and click or tap "skip"

The Help Center page has more info on Scheduled Messages https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2897/how-do-i-create-scheduled-messages-and-send-them-to-guests-...

Hope that helps!

Perfect, thank you, @Scott!

Phil10
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hi - there appears to be differences in the codes used in the Example scheduled messages provided and the full list of variables which can be used.  Which is correct?  Do they all work?  Examples:

"guest first name" vs "Guest's first name", or

"city" vs "Listing city" etc

@Scott 

Hi @Phil10 thanks for your question.  The full list of shortcodes can be found in the Help Center https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2897/how-do-i-create-scheduled-messages-and-send-them-to-guests-...

Let us know if you have any additional feedback or questions.

Phil10
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Scott - you’ve provided the link which includes the inconsistencies I was referring to:

guest’s first name vs guest first name etc

@Phil10 i'm sorry but I don't understand the inconsistencies you're referring to. Is it the language we use in describing how the system works in the help center article?

Perhaps a picture will help -- here's an example of what it looks like after you insert a guest first name shortcode into a message template using the shortcode picker:

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.56.09 PM.png

Phil10
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Scott - I have successfully configured messages, so no issue there. 

My message was simply that the info provided online by airbnb, and that you referred me to, appears inconsistant, and for those working out what to do, it could be confusing.  It was for me at least!!

In short, a list of shortcodes is provided, but it does not use the same language as the actual shortcodes themselves.  In my view, if it is a "list of shortcodes" then it should be just that??

I will see if I can send a pic to make it clear what inconsistency I am referring to....

Scheduled messages

Common use cases for scheduled messaging and shortcodes (indicated in bold) include:

Sending a thank you message shortly after booking

• Dear guest first name, thank you for confirming your reservation

Shortcodes

The full list of shortcodes includes:

• Guest’s first name
  • Guest’s last name
  • Check-in date
Phil10
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

airbnb scheduled msgs 2.jpg

Virginia520
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

Hello, If I compose a "scheduled" message for check in instructions to go to guests 3 days prior to check in, does AirBnB also still send that info 3 days prior like they used to? My check in instructions got automatically put into what is now called, "quick reponses". I composed a "scheduled message" for 3 days prior and just want to make sure there is no duplication. What about hosts who do not use the 'scheduled" messages. Does AirBnB still send the information for check in 3 days prior? Thanks.

@Scott 

Hi @Virginia520 thanks for your question.  Scheduled messages are designed to help you automate communication, as you call out in your example of "3 days prior". 

They're different than quick replies, which are designed to help streamline the messages you type by hand by re-using content with just a couple taps/clicks.

While they're different features, they both share what we call "templates" which support "shortcodes".

Here's more info on scheduled messaging: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2897/how-do-i-create-scheduled-messages-and-send-them-to-guests-...

Here's more info on quick replies: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2898/how-do-i-create-and-send-quick-replies-to-guests

I think you're also referencing the standard "reminders" that Airbnb sends to all guests.  Those are separate.

Let me know if you have additional questions or feedback for us -- thanks!

Virginia520
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

Hello and thanks for responding. So if AirBnB sends a “reminder” message 3 days prior for check in instructions which they do automatically and I have a scheduled message for my guests for “check in instructions” and that is also sent automatically, then the guest will get a duplicate of check in instructions. Correct?