A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177

Hi @Virginia520 Airbnb sends a standardized reservation reminder email to guests 3 days before their trip that contains links to basics like directions and house rules. This info isn't sent on the message thread between host and guest. 

With scheduled messaging, you have the opportunity to complement that with your own detailed, personalized message to your guest on the messaging thread.  Hope that helps!

Bryan547
Level 2
Port Angeles, WA

Hi. I'm not seeing the "after check-in" option mentioned in the instructions. looking for the ability to send a message x # hours after they check in. Thanks.

Hi @Bryan547 the closest we get to that today is to set the trigger to a specific time that you expect the guest to check in.  For example, if check-in time was 3pm, and you wanted to set X=3, you could set the schedule to 6pm day of check-in like this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.42.13 AM.png

If you wanted to play it safe, in case they arrive late, you might set the schedule to be early the next morning after check-in day like this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.46.40 AM.png

Tari442
Level 1
Stacy, MN

Hi I tried to use the short codes (see below) but they didn't seem to work. Did I miss something in the instructions? /Short code/ correct?

Dear /guest first name/, thank you for booking with us!
I’m excited to welcome you at /listing name/ on /check-in date/
Please share your trip info with us so we can organize your check-in smoothly, which is usually /check-in time/ or after
Here’s some quick information about the neighborhood:
/neighborhood/
Here’s some quick information about getting around:
/getting around/
Let me know if you need any tips about /city/
A few days before your trip we’ll share the check-in information.

Tari - I made the same mistake. The /‘s are misleading in the examples provided. Delete all the /‘s or they’ll show up in your message to guests. Use the drop down in the edit scheduled message screen to replace your short code text with the actual short code inserted by the system. See pic. Hope that helps.

Phil10
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

AC616E6B-FD93-47F4-94EC-C8E27A13DD91.png

THANK YOU! Not sure how I missed that detail...lol...

Toma358
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

@Scott - Thank you for your support and help so far. 

I'm not clear on what happens if I have a scheduled message set for a time period that may not apply.

For example, I have a scheduled message to send 7 days before check-in, but a guest books for a same-day stay or even a day or two before.

Which scheduled message(s) would this guest get? Do all scheduled messages get sent all at once, or only those set to immediate based on the action?

A guest may book at any time before check-in, so a scheduled message that is set a number of days ahead may not work and I would need to know when this happens so that I can send a quick reply instead.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi @Toma358 thanks for your question!  Right now, messages won’t be scheduled for last minute bookings or short stays where the trigger time is greater or equal to the lead time. 

Using your example, a schedule set to send 7 days before check-in would NOT be sent if the guest books 5 days before check-in. 

In this case, you should handle the message manually, based on your the particular context of that guest.

Please see this help article, which also shows how to see exactly which messages have been skipped, sent, and are still scheduled for the future: 
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2897/how-do-i-create-scheduled-messages-and-send-them-to-guests-...

This has been a frequent topic of discussion, and we're taking this into account as we think about future improvements

Ali-and-Javo0
Level 2
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Do you know if this is only available in English? I can type in the message in English, but what happens when my guests don´t speak this language?
It would be great to be able to set up multiple versions of the message and have the system show it to the guest, depending on the language they use to visit the site.

Hi @Ali-and-Javo0 thanks for your question!  Today you can create templates in any language, but the system won't automatically match your guest's language to the template using that language. 

We acknowledge this makes it harder to seamlessly support guests who speak different languages, and has been a frequent request. We've taken this into account when planning future improvements 👍

Mark1604
Level 2
Miami Beach, FL

Will this auto message response also be available for inquiries and not just confirmed bookings?

Hi @Mark1604 thanks for your question! Scheduled messages trigger off booking, check-in and checkout events today; we'll keep inquiries in mind for a future improvement 👍

@Scott 

It appears that when scheduled message templates are edited, previously scheduled but not yet sent messages are not updated. This is a problem.

Hi @Lisa723 thanks for bringing this to my attention. The scenario you bring up should not happen: any changes made to a template should be used by all future uses of that template.

Can you direct message me the URL of the template where you saw this issue, as well as the URL of a conversation where you saw this issue?  We'll investigate.  Thanks!